Battery Back UP System / Inverter (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

Not motorhome based but the same principles apply.

For our holiday home, I want to install a decent battery backup system. I currently use a couple of UPS for the Internet, alarm and security cameras.

As we have the risk of long power outages and the risk of Okupas whilst we are away. I am looking at a bigger system. I may even add the freezer to the circuit, though it does have a standby time of 32 hours.

I am looking at

1 or 2 x Victron 220ah AGM
Connected to Victron MultiPlus Inverter Charger 12V/3000VA/120A

I don't think the power would be enough to warrant a solar back up?

Though I see there is a new version

<Broken link removed>

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome please?

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Whilst Victron batteries are no doubt very good, would opt for a different brand, lower cost lithium battery system with more capacity.

After carrying out many studies on the cost benefit analysis of solar, I have come to the conclusion that unless your reason is to help the environment, solar is a difficult cost to justify on a home system. My second home is in Tenerife and I cant make the figures work here.

We are just about to start renovating a finca and will be putting in a similar system as you have mentioned with the Victron Multiplus, but will probably go 48v with a 50a or 100a 48v battery.

Will be interested to follow this one (y)

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Whilst Victron batteries are no doubt very good, would opt for a different brand, lower cost lithium battery system with more capacity.

After carrying out many studies on the cost benefit analysis of solar, I have come to the conclusion that unless your reason is to help the environment, solar is a difficult cost to justify on a home system. My second home is in Tenerife and I cant make the figures work here.

We are just about to start renovating a finca and will be putting in a similar system as you have mentioned with the Victron Multiplus, but will probably go 48v with a 50a or 100a 48v battery.

Will be interested to follow this one (y)
I picked up a Victron battery off a Funster for a good price. But I could use it elsewhere.

I use Trojan Gel in the Motorhome with a Victron Multiplus. Brilliant .

What Lithium would you suggest ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
I picked up a Victron battery off a Funster for a good price. But I could use it elsewhere.

I use Trojan Gel in the Motorhome with a Victron Multiplus. Brilliant .

What Lithium would you suggest ?
I am waiting for one to turn up from China to test (12v/200a for £300) but will probably build my own using EVE cells and. DALY BMS.

There is a lot of snobbery about brands but most of the lithium cells come from the same place. A good BMS and charger is the important part.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I am waiting for one to turn up from China to test (12v/200a for £300) but will probably build my own using EVE cells and. DALY BMS.

There is a lot of snobbery about brands but most of the lithium cells come from the same place. A good BMS and charger is the important part.
Have you got a link to the battery ?

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Just looked it up:

£291.93 31% Off | LiitoKala 12V 200AH lifepo4 lithium battery 4s 12.8V 200Ah with voltage display for 1200w inverter boat golf cart UPS

Worrying recent reviews which weren’t there when I ordered it!!!!!

We will see….. due in next couple of weeks.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We are just about to start renovating a finca and will be putting in a similar system as you have mentioned with the Victron Multiplus, but will probably go 48v with a 50a or 100a 48v battery
Worth looking at a 48V system if it's not a motorhome with existing 12V system. One thing to note is, the 48V Multiplus II is less expensive than the 12V version. 48V uses lower amps for the same power, so smaller, lighter, less expensive internal transformer needed. Pylontech batteries play nicely with Victron Multiplus II. A 2.4kWh battery is equivalent to 2400/12 = 200Ah of '12V' battery power.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
If you give me your requirements I can tailor design a system for you. That will be based on years of experience, and we live off grid, with Rolls batts, multiplus 2 and solar. My entire house runs by itself months of the time we are away. Fridge, freezer, alarm, monitoring, internet, all runs 24/7 and I monitor remotely as I see fit.

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
If you give me your requirements I can tailor design a system for you. That will be based on years of experience, and we live off grid, with Rolls batts, multiplus 2 and solar. My entire house runs by itself months of the time we are away. Fridge, freezer, alarm, monitoring, internet, all runs 24/7 and I monitor remotely as I see fit.
Thanks Raul, will PM you. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back