Bathroom leak

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Locky, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Locky

Locky

Ratings:
    +0
    I know it is my own fault because i did not drain down properly but i think i have some frost damage to a pipe behind the panel that houses the sink unit. The problem is i would have to remove the whole unit to get to it. When i turn on the water pump water is flowing from behind the unit into the shower tray.

Has anyone tackled this sort of repair before and is it an easy job. I am not great at DIY so i am wondering if it is a job for proffesional.

The van is a swift kontiki 640/6 1994.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +23,571
    is there no access whatsoever from below......in an undersink cupboard etc?

on my 2001 640L all the bathroom pipes are in the cupboard below the sink.

it shouldnt be a difficult job to remove the unit but there may be a sequence to taking things out......the shower tray being the first thing fitted so last out.
    all the fixings will be concealed so you need a torch and good eyes.

the chances are its the connection to the taps and a new 'adaptor' will be needed or the 'T' pieces to the shower from the tap pipes.

3. Locky

Locky

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. We do not have a cupboard underneath just a sealed plastic unit from floor to ceiling.

With my lack of DIY skills i am likely to cause more damage by attempting this myself.

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +34,237
    Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Last year.

The shower valve was pushed apart by the ice.

I was lucky with my Burstner, I did have to remove half the walls in the shower but eventually I had the valve in my hand and glued it together, cost zero.

I can't help with your layout, all I did was keep removing screws CAREFULLY until I got closer and closer. Never pull hard. It's a good idea to make notes and take pictures as you go along.

If it's a criminally bad design they may have bonded the sink in, fingers crossed they haven't.

5. Autoquest

Autoquest

Ratings:
    +37
    I have removed a unit which appears to be similar. Gently remove all screw caps and remove all visible screws - next, I had to use a long sharp bendy blade and slice through endless sikaflex that secured the vanity unit to the wall - Remove the vanity unit carefully as its' a perfect fit and now, very flimsy (remove any mirror doors first). This should reveal the problem further. It's not hard but you need to be a bit sporty to attempt it. :Smile:

6. Locky

Locky

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help.

It was not as bad as i had expected. I managed to remove the sink and this gave me access to everything i needed. There was not any frost damage, just a pipe to the hot water tap had become detached. Simple job and all is now working well. I must have saved a fortune as i nearly booked it in at my local dealer to be fixed.

This is the first time i have attempted a repair myself and now i will have the confidence to tackle future issues if they arise.

More importantly i should be able to get away next weekend now.::bigsmile:

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Ratings:
    +6,110
    I would not have charged you a fortune and if you had rung Glenn or Ian, I am sure they would have ben happy to advise you how to fix it.

Peter

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +34,237
    Nice one.

Now go and buy the book "Brain Surgery for Dummies" and you'll be prepared for everything.