Free Member
May 28, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 months and loving it
I know it is my own fault because i did not drain down properly but i think i have some frost damage to a pipe behind the panel that houses the sink unit. The problem is i would have to remove the whole unit to get to it. When i turn on the water pump water is flowing from behind the unit into the shower tray.

Has anyone tackled this sort of repair before and is it an easy job. I am not great at DIY so i am wondering if it is a job for proffesional.

The van is a swift kontiki 640/6 1994.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know it is my own fault because i did not drain down properly but i think i have some frost damage to a pipe behind the panel that houses the sink unit. The problem is i would have to remove the whole unit to get to it. When i turn on the water pump water is flowing from behind the unit into the shower tray.

Has anyone tackled this sort of repair before and is it an easy job. I am not great at DIY so i am wondering if it is a job for proffesional.

The van is a swift kontiki 640/6 1994.

is there no access whatsoever from below......in an undersink cupboard etc?

on my 2001 640L all the bathroom pipes are in the cupboard below the sink.

it shouldnt be a difficult job to remove the unit but there may be a sequence to taking things out......the shower tray being the first thing fitted so last out.
all the fixings will be concealed so you need a torch and good eyes.

the chances are its the connection to the taps and a new 'adaptor' will be needed or the 'T' pieces to the shower from the tap pipes.

OP
OP
Locky

Locky

Free Member
May 28, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 months and loving it
Thanks. We do not have a cupboard underneath just a sealed plastic unit from floor to ceiling.

With my lack of DIY skills i am likely to cause more damage by attempting this myself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anyone tackled this sort of repair before and is it an easy job.

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Last year.

The shower valve was pushed apart by the ice.

I was lucky with my Burstner, I did have to remove half the walls in the shower but eventually I had the valve in my hand and glued it together, cost zero.

I can't help with your layout, all I did was keep removing screws CAREFULLY until I got closer and closer. Never pull hard. It's a good idea to make notes and take pictures as you go along.

If it's a criminally bad design they may have bonded the sink in, fingers crossed they haven't.

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I have removed a unit which appears to be similar. Gently remove all screw caps and remove all visible screws - next, I had to use a long sharp bendy blade and slice through endless sikaflex that secured the vanity unit to the wall - Remove the vanity unit carefully as its' a perfect fit and now, very flimsy (remove any mirror doors first). This should reveal the problem further. It's not hard but you need to be a bit sporty to attempt it. :Smile:

OP
OP
Locky

Locky

Free Member
May 28, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 months and loving it
Thanks for your help.

It was not as bad as i had expected. I managed to remove the sink and this gave me access to everything i needed. There was not any frost damage, just a pipe to the hot water tap had become detached. Simple job and all is now working well. I must have saved a fortune as i nearly booked it in at my local dealer to be fixed.

This is the first time i have attempted a repair myself and now i will have the confidence to tackle future issues if they arise.

More importantly i should be able to get away next weekend now.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks for your help.

It was not as bad as i had expected. I managed to remove the sink and this gave me access to everything i needed. There was not any frost damage, just a pipe to the hot water tap had become detached. Simple job and all is now working well. I must have saved a fortune as i nearly booked it in at my local dealer to be fixed.

This is the first time i have attempted a repair myself and now i will have the confidence to tackle future issues if they arise.

More importantly i should be able to get away next weekend now.::bigsmile:

I would not have charged you a fortune and if you had rung Glenn or Ian, I am sure they would have ben happy to advise you how to fix it.

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Nice one.

Now go and buy the book "Brain Surgery for Dummies" and you'll be prepared for everything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back