Ban on old tyres - not sure it relates to MH's over 3.5t (1 Viewer)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Saw this today, says goods vehicles over 3.5t but not sure MH's are also included. I know it is recommended to change tyres at 6 years or so but wonder if many vehicles have older tyres that have good depth as they only do low mileage.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I've got what look to be the original tyres on my recently purchased 65 plate. With only 13k miles on them they look brand new, it will hurt to have to change them next year if I do as recommended:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Any motorhome over 3.5t is registered as a goods vehicle so they could well be included.

Sorry, but that is not correct. For other purposes I have been doing a lot of research on Vehicle Categories in relation to MHs and all MHs should be registered as M1 because within M1 they are 'Special Purpose' vehicles.

I also have copies of the registration documents of 4 MHs (3 UK and 1 French) which are over 3.5t and all are registered as M1, which is for passenger vehicles. Goods vehicles are Category N.

Geoff

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Sorry, but that is not correct. For other purposes I have been doing a lot of research on Vehicle Categories in relation to MHs and all MHs should be registered as M1 because within M1 they are 'Special Purpose' vehicles.

I also have copies of the registration documents of 4 MHs (3 UK and 1 French) which are over 3.5t and all are registered as M1, which is for passenger vehicles. Goods vehicles are Category N.

Geoff
True, I’m thinking about taxation class, not registration.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
My 3500kg is registered as Motor Caravan, Private Light Goods, no mention of M1.
Thats on a new log book arrived today, V5C-0119.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Tyres are covered by the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations, Tax clkass is covered by the Vehicle Excise Act and the definitions within each canot be read across to the other.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Mine are 2008 tyres done 40k with still 5mm of tread, no cracking on them has been stored indoors most of life, replaced front pair this year for safety, but keeping back 4 as only running 55psi in them as not running full load, spare still unused. Tyres are original fit rated as light truck not camper.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Nothing under J, not much on the V5 now. Does not even say it is a Pilote Galaxy 270.
20201106_184226.jpg

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Took our motorhome into the tyre company I use and from were I bought the tyres 10 years ago(40k)They inspected them and admitted they still looked completely serviceable with plenty of tread and no sign of cracks on the side walls.They were Hankooks!They said general rule of thumb was to replace at maximum of 7 years! So decided to replace!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mine are 2008 tyres done 40k with still 5mm of tread, no cracking on them has been stored indoors most of life, replaced front pair this year for safety, but keeping back 4 as only running 55psi in them as not running full load, spare still unused. Tyres are original fit rated as light truck not camper.
The best tyres should always be on the rear.
I wouldn't want tyres on a Motorhome any more than 6 years old.
Replace ours at 3-4 years as they are worn out.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've put my old head on and read the relevant Regs.

This is what the 'New' Reg says;
(I've omitted the stuff relating to recut treads etc.
"
(4) In regulation 27 (condition and maintenance of tyres)—

(a)in paragraph (1)—

(i)after “(2), (3) and (4),” insert “and subject to paragraph (1A),”;

(ii)in sub-paragraph (g)(ii) omit the “or” at the end;

(iii)after sub-paragraph (h) insert—

“(i)the tyre is not a retreaded tyre and—

(i)the week of manufacture marked on its sidewall in accordance with ECE Regulation 30 or 54 falls more than 10 years before the date on which the motor vehicle is used on the road; or

(ii)it does not have a week of manufacture marking which complies with ECE Regulation 30 or 54 (whether because it was manufactured before the ECE Regulations applied or otherwise);

Keep the above in mind when reading the below as relates to Reg 27;

Viz;

Condition and maintenance of tyres
27.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2), (3) and (4), a wheeled motor vehicle or trailer a wheel of which is fitted with a pneumatic tyre shall not be used on a road, if—

(a)the tyre is unsuitable having regard to the use to which the motor vehicle or trailer is being put or to the types of tyres fitted to its other wheels;

(b)the tyre is not so inflated as to make it fit for the use to which the motor vehicle or trailer is being put;

(c)the tyre has a cut in excess of 25 mm or 10% of the section width of the tyre, whichever is the greater, measured in any direction on the outside of the tyre and deep enough to reach the ply or cord;

(d)the tyre has any lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure;

(e)the tyre has any of the ply or cord exposed;

(f)the base of any groove which showed in the original tread pattern of the tyre is not clearly visible;

(g)either—

(i)the grooves of the tread pattern of the tyre do not have a depth of at least 1 mm throughout a continuous band measuring at least three-quarters of the breadth of the tread and round the entire outer circumference of the tyre; or

(ii)if the grooves of the original tread pattern of the tyre did not extend beyond three-quarters of the breadth of the tread, any groove which showed in the original tread pattern does not have a depth of at least 1 mm; or

(h)the tyre is not maintained in such condition as to be fit for the use to which the vehicle or trailer is being put or has a defect which might in any way cause damage to the surface of the road or damage to persons on or in the vehicle or to other persons using the road.

AFTER THE ABOVE IE (h) one must insert;

(i)the week of manufacture marked on its sidewall in accordance with ECE Regulation 30 or 54 falls more than 10 years before the date on which the motor vehicle is used on the road;

So, there you have it.
The 'New' Regulation inserts the 10yrs age limit on the end of the 1986 Regulation that relates to all tyres (as far as it relates to most of us)

Would anyone still serving have a comment to make and/or has this "Old Bill" got it wrong.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
As I’ve read thxe
The best tyres should always be on the rear.
I wouldn't want tyres on a Motorhome any more than 6 years old.
Replace ours at 3-4 years as they are worn out.
Age aside, the best tyres on rear gives best stability during heavy cornering and aqua planing, but gives poorer braking in a straight line. This law is based on heavy twin rear wheel drive vehicles, and is totally about avoiding a blow out on front tyres. I have had blow outs at motorway speeds, and can understand why are trying to reduce the risk of uncontrollable front blow outs.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Any motorhome over 3.5t is registered as a goods vehicle so they could well be included.
No they are not goods vehicles they are private HGV and do not require a tacograph and have a normal car MOT and are not subject to driving hours limitations.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Seen enough accidents on the road, tyres imho are one of the main factors and most important on a vehicle. I would never buy cheap and i would always replace every 6 years no matter the tread.
Why risk it for a few hundred quid, just budget for changing tyres
I put a little cash away each month for tyres and cambelt as I know these jobs need to be done and cost. So i build a saving pot therefore I have to cash ready when its needed.
Its just not worth the risk imho.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Dragging this thread back to the original post, I think the Amendment clearly, (Well, as clear as legalise can do!) states that just about every motor vehicle on the road, (aside from vehicles with legal recut tyres) can't have tyres with a date on them more than 10yrs from the date of use.

In practical terms it could be far less than 10yrs because there is a ready market for 'obsolete' tyres that may already be several years old.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back