Bailey motorhomes (2 Viewers)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi gang anyone got any thoughts on Bailey vans been looking to change and they have one that might suit us
1, are they any good
2, are they worse than Autotrail ( got an Imala )
3, is there anything to steer clear of,
have been looking at Dethleffs, Pilote, Swift (kont tiki) , Rapido , had a look at Hymer but can't afford 😢 until my numbers come on the lottery 😂😂

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
They are good for the money.

I was tempted, however the four berth models all had pitiful payloads on a B licence. Added to that is they ride very low and we like to get places that aren’t smooth tarmac occasionally.

Had two new Bailey Caravans in the last 6 years, both leaked from new which is disappointing.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Just exchanged our Bailey autograph 625.
Excellent vans, great Alde heating
But wider than average vans, some will say not by much but if your doing cornwall it can make a difference.
Also they have double floors in them, great until a problem, then you need to ask how you would get at the shower fixings ect.
Good luck thou🤶🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Always thought unattractive sort of big box mounted on a chassis, Autotrail have superior styling,

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I think Bailey started off making caravans then made motorhomes.
They look an attractive van but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The 12V water pump sits on top of the underslung fresh water tank and if you over fill the tank the
pump sits in a pool of water.
The water system has to be calibrated when you fill the tank which is a bit of an over complication.
A couple bought a bailey and the few times that they went away the water pump never worked.
My ex-Service Manager eventually decided to fit a 12V rocker On / Off switch to make the water pump work manually.
The Bailey rear shell bodywork is Alu-tech. Very little wood is used in the construction:-
I would buy one.
My current van is a Dethleffs Globebus.
My previous van was a Burstner.
Whatever van you decide to buy check it over carefully.
Avoid the many scams on ebay for cheap looking vans that don't exist, the bogus seller just steal your money.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Interested in these comments as we also are considering changing our Imala. Not because of any issues but to up size a bit. A Bailey caught our interest.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
had a look at Hymer but can't afford
Buy in Germany or Belgium at sensible prices, bought all 3 new Hymers we have had in Belgium.

I wouldn't touch a Brit built van, Bailey's look like a cut & shunt job a caravan stuck on the back of a cab, not surprising with their heritage. Lots of reports of spongy floors on them.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Buy in Germany or Belgium at sensible prices, bought all 3 new Hymers we have had in Belgium.

I wouldn't touch a Brit built van, Bailey's look like a cut & shunt job a caravan stuck on the back of a cab, not surprising with their heritage. Lots of reports of spongy floors on them.
Do you buy LHD or RHDs

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Do you buy LHD or RHDs
The first one was RHD, last two LHD.
Hymer RHD is €1500 more and delivery goes out a few months as they only build a couple of batches a year.
I much prefer driving a LHD even in the UK although 90% of our mileage is over the water.
Big advantage of LHD is at trade-in time dealers across the water work on lot lower margins so trade-in prices are much higher. Last van I got £12K more than what UK dealers were offering and more than I would have got selling privately in the UK.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I think when we are ready a trip over there is called for to have a look see. What about registration?

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Give me a call in the morning 01803522098 and I will run through them with you. I know the brand like the back of my hand.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think when we are ready a trip over there is called for to have a look see. What about registration?
Costs about £500 to £600 to import and get it on the road Inc VED. Takes 4 to 6 weeks in normal times, DVLA is the hold up.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
No problems with ours after three years. Great value for money. Not the greatest looking (irrelevant really) but spacious inside. Latest Autograph range have a higher chassis but the low level ALKO chassis handles well on the road. Alutech construction means nothing to rot above floor level. Peugeot 160hp engine plenty of power to use a Toad if you so desire.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Im thinking the same, I have an Imala and the amount of problems from new with the hab area was disappointing to say the least. Ranging from half the cupboard locks hanging off, to the nav system having to be changed twice and the rear plastic corner piece hanging off one day on arrival which was the bracket underneath to the chassis had come undone.

I wont go on Id be here all day, But I almost rejected it 3 months in.
Have you had issues or just want a change

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As most of you know I don't like Brit vans mainly due to bad experience with Brit caravans.
What would concern me with Bailey is when you look at the level of spec they offer for the money they have to be making savings elsewhere to be able to do it. Where are they making savings its got to be in the construction.

Whippetgood

Free Member
May 3, 2018
Funster No
On our second Bailey. Never had another brand so nothing to compare it with but you have to look at what you're paying and what you get. Alutech construction, excellent internal space, full kitchen ( 4 ring stove and oven) etc and for the autograph range Alde heating - absolutely brilliant. Fantastic value. Yes, you do have to do your own snagging a bit and ensure that you or your dealer sorts out the minor bits and pieces that Bailey QC have decided that that they'll 'overlook' in order to keep the price down. For the same spec you'd pay a lot more for a brand new competitive brand. They are low but the handling is stable and I've no desire to go 'offroad' I'm thinking off semi- air this year - £2k not cheap but on a good value van it's worth it to tweak it up to what I want.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We've had a second hand Bailey 620 since 2015. It had done 5,000 when we bought it and it's now done 35,000. It's a great van and no major issues. When we had the habitation service a month ago, the servicer said it was a great little van and was the first van he'd serviced in the last month that had NO damp.
I love ours and now that you can get Bailey's with a garage, even better. I'd buy a Bailey again. Good value.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Give me a call in the morning 01803522098 and I will run through them with you. I know the brand like the back of my hand.
Do you?
I emailed you regarding our shower leak and getting access to under floor and you said you had passed it on to your service dept as you didn’t know?
Never heard nothing back ?
Changed van now.
🤔🤶🏻

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
I have an autograph 796 and I like mine a lot. Good value for money and so far nothing more than a couple of niggles from new. Yes it’s wide but I drive on the cats whiskers philosophy, it will fit through the gap if the wing mirrors do. And the wing mirrors are no wider than any other Sevel base unit. Plus I believe the new models on the Ford have actually slimmed down a bit.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Lenny HB - I personally think that our Boris has a particularly attractive rear end (it’s the view that most people see of our van because we are usually in a hurry) and it’s certainly one of the lowest, dare I say “sporty” looking vans out there. Even got it through a drive through once. No problems with ferries so far either.
Build quality of mine is good I think- I love the airplane locker style cabinets. No damp under the mattress like a friend got in their then new hymer. But then there’s a Friday afternoon van from most makers I bet. But it’s not as good as a continental van regards double floor but it’s perfectly capable of UK weather (We’ve had a few nights in the snow), and you won’t be seeing me post any pictures of the electrics, but you pays yer money and makes yer choice.
Payload is a hot topic and that is a concern for more than just Bailey. I am not affected as I have enough for the three of us on the HD chassis.
Friends bought a C-Tourer because it is light weight but because they are a family of four (with teenagers) it still runs overloaded- so it’s not just Brit vans. I would suggest that you are no better or worse off than a like for like Imala. I will be honest and say that you may have to watch the rear axle limit more than payload if there’s a garage.
We were going to trade ours up this year but have decided that we will keep it for another 3-5 years, because the layout for us just works and the direct 6 berth replacement is not as good IMO.
I am probably going to go full air this year - the ride quality of the low chassis has me looking for the path of least resistance and dodging cats eyes. That said the handling is good when overtaking hgv’s.
Only the Ford based units offer auto box. I do wish I had one of those maybe, and maybe the tablet holder and leather wheel in the cab. Other than that what’s not to love about Boris.

Attachments

• 4263E2FC-6C7C-4066-9BBB-0EE04E87D5E2.jpeg
    4263E2FC-6C7C-4066-9BBB-0EE04E87D5E2.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 69

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Friends bought a C-Tourer because it is light weight but because they are a family of four (with teenagers) it still runs overloaded- so it’s not just Brit vans.
I doubt if there is any van on the market that you could run at 3500kg with 2 adults & 2 teenagers, why don't they uprate it.
Our last van only had 600kg payload so I uprated it, current one has over 1350kg a sensible payload.

What is your main reason for going for full air?
We had full air fitted due to the hard ride of the maxi chassis it was a lot better but not as good as I was expecting. Just got rid of the crap Michelin CP tyres and fitted van tyres that has made more difference to the ride than the air did.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Gonna be some head scratching when the time comes to change.

Our Imala 734 was 2 years old and just 4000 miles old when bought. We have done 6 trips thus far. I have searched for faults, no luck. We had a 4.5 Fiamaa awning fitted
The main reasons we will change early next year is, the single beds are too narrow, the engine is under powered.
We want, wider singles or a island at 5ft or more, 160 bhp. If poss a door to separate bedroom from kitchen lounge area. Don't think payload is that much of an issue for us as there will only ever be 2 of us in it.
I am looking all the time.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
What is your main reason for going for full air?
I want better ride quality and the ability to auto level. I thought that full air would give me the best of both. The other option is jacks and semi-air. Both would cost about the same. I am usually running close to the maximum rear axle weight, especially in winter when I have the awning in the boot and all of the paraphernalia needed for winter welly walks. And the harsh ride makes it difficult to have a conversation with the rear passenger(s). Some of that I think is from the cab, I.e. not just the alko part. So again I thought that full air would help.
The rear air assist on the horsebox makes for a magic carpet ride but the chassis is on leaf springs so axle articulation is higher in the first place. The difference was really noticeable so that is my only experience. But it does have different tyres :unsure:. I suppose that I would like to try before I buy but not much chance given the current situation.
Just got rid of the crap Michelin CP tyres and fitted van tyres that has made more difference to the ride than the air did.
I have seen a lot of people dismiss the Michelin tyres - it would certainly be a cheaper option. I am loathed to change or play with the tyre pressures because of past experience. My concern would be the load rating- I do tend to press on a bit. What are you using? Having barrel rolled a hire car down the autoroute because of a blow out, I get a little twitchy about these black rubber bands. Have just put 2 new tyres on wife’s car and have probably doubled it’s value.
I have seen a few tyre threads. Maybe I should take a read.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Do you?
I emailed you regarding our shower leak and getting access to under floor and you said you had passed it on to your service dept as you didn’t know?
Changed van now.
🤔🤶🏻
Glad I didn’t help with that attitude!

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Do you?
Changed van now.
🤔🤶🏻
6EAF98A9-E544-44C6-8643-D7DDE83046D8.png

So I forwarded your message to the service department and then left Howard’s and it’s my fault someone from the service department didn’t ring you back?
Ps you didn’t say please!

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We have an Autograph 750 with a garage, uprated to 3850kg, which we are very happy with. That said, it’s our first motor home so have no experience of any others.
Bought it 3yrs ago when it was 4 and had done 9000 miles. It’s now done considerably more - can’t remember how many exactly off the top of my head - including Greece back a couple of times plus several weeks in France, Spain, Portugal.
We have had a few minor issues, including a shower leak Bailey 15. The silicon around the shower tray had failed.
At one point in mid France last year the supporting frame for the twin beds started parting company with the body of the van so we had to do emergency repairs. Fortunately Bricomart had everything we needed!
We - I say “we” as if I had anything to do with it, my role was purely providing words of support and cups of coffee - have added a solar panel and an air con unit and various other upgrades and tweaks.
We like to do a lot of wild camping, back roads etc and find the ground clearance - or lack of it - can be a bit of an issue so have to be very careful.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Gonna be some head scratching when the time comes to change.

Our Imala 734 was 2 years old and just 4000 miles old when bought. We have done 6 trips thus far. I have searched for faults, no luck. We had a 4.5 Fiamaa awning fitted
The main reasons we will change early next year is, the single beds are too narrow, the engine is under powered.
We want, wider singles or a island at 5ft or more, 160 bhp. If poss a door to separate bedroom from kitchen lounge area. Don't think payload is that much of an issue for us as there will only ever be 2 of us in it.
I am looking all the time.
This may be ( or maybe not) a consideration,
A+E leisure in Northwich ( 2 miles from you) are a Bailey authorised warranty agent, irrespective of where you buy it 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back