Baffled by rules on prelonged stay in motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2017
Ardrossan
Funster No
MH
Burstner Brevio T646
Exp
Nov 2016
I am in an unusual position of having sold my house and I don't get my new house till 27th August. My motorhome insurance renewal is due 1st August. We normally tour for 18 weeks plus, so we are happy to do that while we wait on the new house. Informing the insurance company of a care of address at my daughters . We were informed that when at my daughters between campsites we couldn't sleep overnight in the motorhome as that would be considered staying full time in the van. I asked what the difference was as we normally visit and use the motorhome. The answer is we don't have a house of our own! They state all policies are the same. I can't find where in the policy it states a time limit or a voild if you sleep in your motorhome at your home address, but the operator stated that it was standard on all policies. So be careful how you word any claim resulting in your own drive.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I am in an unusual position of having sold my house and I don't get my new house till 27th August. My motorhome insurance renewal is due 1st August. We normally tour for 18 weeks plus, so we are happy to do that while we wait on the new house. Informing the insurance company of a care of address at my daughters . We were informed that when at my daughters between campsites we couldn't sleep overnight in the motorhome as that would be considered staying full time in the van. I asked what the difference was as we normally visit and use the motorhome. The answer is we don't have a house of our own! They state all policies are the same. I can't find where in the policy it states a time limit or a voild if you sleep in your motorhome at your home address, but the operator stated that it was standard on all policies. So be careful how you word any claim resulting in your own drive.
I think its correct. Motorhome policies generally assume its not your primary place of residence and is a holiday home.

As soon as you mention living in it, they will run for cover...excuse the pun!

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
C/O is worth a try, but if you have a challenge! I have used Boatmail
Yes that is correct

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jimairi
Jul 17, 2017
Ardrossan
Funster No
MH
Burstner Brevio T646
Exp
Nov 2016
Yes did that but not allowed to stay in it at my daughters drive? That apparently is considered staying full time in the motorhome. When on tour normally we would stop off several times at my daughters and stay in our own motorhome. That is now not insured till we move to our new address, insurance agent stated if at care of address it must not be occupied overnight! Said this was a normal in all policies. I've stayed overnight in my motorhome in my own drive and never thought it was not covered hence my post.

OP
OP
jimairi
Jul 17, 2017
Ardrossan
Funster No
MH
Burstner Brevio T646
Exp
Nov 2016
CazPaul yes its allowed but we moved to look after our grandson. So Monday Tuesday when we are at our daughters we cant stay in the van. It is insured on their drive but no one can sleep in it! Crazy I know but that is apparently on all motorhome policies. If we give another care of address then yes we can sleep in the motorhome in our daughters drive. Its madness my worry is are you insured if you overnight in your motorhome in your own drive. The agent today says no.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I think you are reading too much into it, just insure at your daughters address and stay on the drive in it just don’t tell the insurer. It’s only a technicality if you ask me.

How many people would tell their insurer they are in their van and staying on friends or family drive for a while? Certainly for us it wouldn’t enter our heads to do so.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Sounds like they are just being obtuse. I'd change insurers next time around. (y)

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I would have all mail redirected from old address to daughters ,then when i moved into new house give insurance etc ,my new address

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Has the agent actually pointed you to any wording in the policy that covers what he said? And have you checked that wording?

Brokers(Agents) are notorious for misinterpreting policies.

If their is a disagreement about advice from a broker and the wording as I read it I e-mail th Underwriters, because it is they who pay out on a claim, not the broker.

Or as Paul says ignore it

I can see no increase in risk to Underwriters, in fact theft risk is probably reduced if occupied, and other risks such as fire are no more than when you occupy it elsewhere.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back