Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Some questions...

Recently,we parked up and the ground was very soft, we added the strap over the top and it was just about right... Any suggestions on how to anchor down in soft ground?

Centre Tension Rafter ? Good / bad?

We also have a windblocker and I am thinking about replacing the side poles, the ones from the awning to the van, I did see some 'stronger' Fiamma ones, but the one I looked at was simply not long enough. Suggestions?

Ta

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Probably the best place to anchor is via those slide in triangular devices that pull on the front rail. That way you can use a few more anchors if the ground isn't good. For mine I use a loop of heavy elastic cord over the outer end of each arm anchored via thick nylon cord to two pegs in front of the awning and two out to the sides.

I have a 4.5m awning & have never used the centre rafter. I think awnings survive wind better if they can collapse towards the van if needed so I don't like anything that makes it more difficult (hence the elastic loops on my 'storm guys').

I'm having the same thoughts about my windblockers. I'm looking at the bins of awning poles you find in some accessory shops - I've spotted rather nice fibreglass and alloy extending poles in the past.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Topics on here are a bit like buses. Subject cropping up a lot today.

On ours I have the Thule centre tensioner which is spring loaded and I've added additional rafters at each end which together with storm straps makes the whole structure very solid. I do wonder though if the strengthening with the rafters could cause damage to the van, whereas when just strapped down the awning would just flex.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Shifty.
Get a couple of big water bottles and hang them off the awning.
Plastic bags full of water will also do, as will bags of sand.
So just think suspended rather than pegged.
Mitch.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We use and sell these, we have had ground soft enough to push pegs in by hand and when we pushed the pegs in at angles to create more grip the leg could not be pulled out of the ground.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ground anchor "picket" screws, of the type sold as "Dog" Anchors!. Brilliant on soft ground.
Anchor to the ends of the cross rafter with ratchet Straps. Put a Double or Triple looped Bungee in the setup if you feel it needs some flexibility?.

BTW, don`t do what my mate did. He had the "Auto retract" on his Winnebago Awning, the wind got up during the night and it tried to retract, only blew the fuse fortunately!. IF you want to anchor you have to remember to isolate the retract!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I was going suggest what you have PeteH ... can't beat the screw in type anchors ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back