Avian influenza (bird flu): Latest situation (1 Viewer)

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Blimey now we have to quarantine all our birds, if you keep chickens etc you need to be aware of this which was published today.

The Chief Veterinary Officers for England, Scotland and Wales have agreed to bring in new measures to help protect poultry and captive birds, following a number of cases of avian influenza in both wild and captive birds in the UK.

The new housing measures, which will come into force on 14 December, mean that it will be a legal requirement for all bird keepers to keep their birds indoors
and to follow strict biosecurity measures in order to limit the spread of and eradicate the disease.

Public health advice is that the risk to human health from the virus is very low and food standards bodies advise that avian influenzas pose a very low food safety risk for UK consumers, and it does not affect the consumption of poultry products including eggs.

Government Chief Veterinary Officers are encouraging bird keepers to use the next 11 days to prepare for new housing measures, including taking steps to safeguard animal welfare, consult their vet and where necessary put up additional housing.

These housing measures build on the strengthened biosecurity regulations that were brought in as part of the Avian Influenza Protection Zone (AIPZ) on 11 November. The AIPZ means that all poultry and captive bird keepers need to take extra precautions, such as cleaning and disinfecting equipment, clothing and vehicles, limiting access to non-essential people on their sites, and workers changing clothing and footwear before entering bird enclosures.

The UK Government has worked closely with the Scottish and Welsh Governments to introduce the new housing measures at the same time, meaning that the restrictions will be applied across the whole of Great Britain.

A joint statement from Great Britain’s three Chief Veterinary Officers said:

We have taken swift action to limit the spread of the disease and are now planning to introduce a legal requirement for all poultry and captive bird keepers to keep their birds housed or otherwise separate from wild birds.

Whether you keep just a few birds or thousands, from 14 December onwards you will be legally required to keep your birds indoors, or take appropriate steps to keep them separate from wild birds. We have not taken this decision lightly, but it is the best way to protect your birds from this highly infectious disease.

Poultry and captive bird keepers are advised to be vigilant for any signs of disease in their birds and any wild birds, and seek prompt advice from their vet if they have any concerns. They can help prevent avian flu by maintaining good biosecurity on their premises, including:

• housing or netting all poultry and captive birds
  • cleansing and disinfecting clothing, footwear, equipment and vehicles before and after contact with poultry and captive birds – if practical, use disposable protective clothing
  • reducing the movement of people, vehicles or equipment to and from areas where poultry and captive birds are kept, to minimise contamination from manure, slurry and other products, and using effective vermin control
  • thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting housing at the end of a production cycle
  • keeping fresh disinfectant at the right concentration at all points where people should use it, such as farm entrances and before entering poultry and captive bird housing or enclosures
  • minimising direct and indirect contact between poultry and captive birds and wild birds, including making sure all feed and water is not accessible to wild birds

The new housing measures will be kept under regular review as part of the government’s work to protect flocks.

The introduction of the these new measures follows a number of confirmed cases of avian influenza in the UK.

This includes:

• H5N2 (low pathogenic) avian influenza confirmed at a site in Kent on 2 November.
  • H5N8 (highly pathogenic) avian influenza confirmed at a site in Cheshire on 2 November
  • H5N8 (highly pathogenic) avian influenza confirmed at a broiler breeder farm in Herefordshire on 10 November .
  • H5N8 (highly pathogenic) confirmed at a premises in Leicestershire on 21 November.
  • H5N8 (highly pathogenic) influenza confirmed at a premises in North Yorkshire on 29 November.
  • H5N8 suspected at a second premises in North Yorkshire (tests ongoing).

In each case Defra has acted quickly to cull affected birds and to introduce movement restrictions to limit the risk of the disease spreading.

Poultry and captive bird keepers and members of the public should report dead wild birds to the Defra helpline on 03459 33 55 77 (option 7), and keepers should report suspicion of disease to APHA on 03000 200 301. Keepers should familiarise themselves with our avian flu advice.

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Just a reminder to all owners of chickens etc, you need to pen them up so they have no access to wild birds.

The Chief Veterinary Officers for England, Scotland and Wales have agreed to bring in new measures to help protect poultry and captive birds, following a number of cases of avian influenza in both wild and captive birds in the UK.

The new housing measures, which will come into force on 14 December, mean that it will be a legal requirement for all bird keepers to keep their birds indoors and to follow strict biosecurity measures in order to limit the spread of and eradicate the disease.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
"The UK Government has worked closely with the Scottish and Welsh Governments to introduce the new housing measures at the same time, meaning that the restrictions will be applied across the whole of Great Britain."
Pity they couldnt manage the same with human covid, looks like there will be a shortage of truly free range eggs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My five birds are in a 8m x 5m 2.4m high run covered with tarp they usually free range so there not happy and have stooped laying lodes of thing's for them in the run.
The mane thing the council animal welfare inspector who cam to see us today was very happy with my set up and his mane advice was to keep all feed and bedding water protected from wild bird fesses.
No problem with my run but one on the allotment had no covering over the food water
so has been issued with a improvement notes.
chicken lock down
bill

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
My five birds are in a 8m x 5m 2.4m high run covered with tarp they usually free range so there not happy and have stooped laying lodes of thing's for them in the run.
The mane thing the council animal welfare inspector who cam to see us today was very happy with my set up and his mane advice was to keep all feed and bedding water protected from wild bird fesses.
No problem with my run but one on the allotment had no covering over the food water
so has been issued with a improvement notes.
chicken lock down
bill
Wildbill we know your pain, we spent five days constructing a covered pen for our geese, chickens and ducks and made it as large as we could as we have 36 occupants. Every day we are hanging items for them so they do not get bored, normally have access to a large pond and free roam the garden. So far all is good and they seem quite happy, just hope that this does not go on too long. We have quite a few kiddies sand pits which make excellent mini ponds. Trouble is I am spending all day changing the water. The ducks like a muddy bath and the geese like a clean bath as soon as one of the ponds is refilled someone is waiting to get in, comical.
Did you ask the inspector to visit?

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
4 chickens and one duck. Last time locked in They seemed to cope. I’m more mortified then them so won’t visit them. Luckily hubby is not bothered, least their bit of ground is going to get a rest! It’s like a bog, I went arse over last week, legs went from underneath, landed on back and smacked my head. Covered head to toe in mud and duck shiiiiit, hubby had just gone out for a walk. I did cry, had to strip off in the hall leaving a trail of mud where ever I moved, got in shower, it was everywhere! So no I won’t visit their part of the garden. but they’re locked up.

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
4 chickens and one duck. Last time locked in They seemed to cope. I’m more mortified then them so won’t visit them. Luckily hubby is not bothered, least their bit of ground is going to get a rest! It’s like a bog, I went arse over last week, legs went from underneath, landed on back and smacked my head. Covered head to toe in mud and duck shiiiiit, hubby had just gone out for a walk. I did cry, had to strip off in the hall leaving a trail of mud where ever I moved, got in shower, it was everywhere! So no I won’t visit their part of the garden. but they’re locked up.
Wood chip is excellent way of dealing with that, although make sure it is not fresh from the chipping machine as that will cause issues with splinters.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
How will we know when we can let our hens out again ?

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Only by keeping an eye on the government website which relates to bird flu. As soon as it changes I will post the good news if it helps.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just got this text message from Govt

E80546A0-525F-4472-9929-B10848B2AAC3.png

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
By the description of some of your hen runs, I bet some of your poultry would be glad of a nice warm battery cage.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
By the description of some of your hen runs, I bet some of your poultry would be glad of a nice warm battery cage.

Ours much prefer being outside in our orchard then being stuck indoors.
Last time we had chicken lockdown I made an enclosed run with some pallets and tin roofing. Its effective, but much less fun than running outdoors.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Wildbill we know your pain, we spent five days constructing a covered pen for our geese, chickens and ducks and made it as large as we could as we have 36 occupants. Every day we are hanging items for them so they do not get bored, normally have access to a large pond and free roam the garden. So far all is good and they seem quite happy, just hope that this does not go on too long. We have quite a few kiddies sand pits which make excellent mini ponds. Trouble is I am spending all day changing the water. The ducks like a muddy bath and the geese like a clean bath as soon as one of the ponds is refilled someone is waiting to get in, comical.
Did you ask the inspector to visit?
Yes as i had registered my flock with the local counsel and we have allotment just over the back.
they have to pass my house to get to them but no problems
bill

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Chaser not a nice thing to say at all, our animals are totally spoilt.

Wildbill correct me if I am wrong I thought it was only a requirement to register when your flock is 50+?

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I only have 2 girls now, ex battery hens. I have a 10m x 5m fun for them. I’m trying to prevent wild birds getting in at the moment and upped my “Bio security” measures for the foreseeable future. The only problem I have is the houses either side refuse to do anything. Both are still free ranging their flocks. Do I inform on them or hope the council visit and they get caught?

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Difficult one, it has not been massively reported in the press do they actually know about the new legal requirement. Might be worth mentioning it but as for reporting them it might lead to bad neighbour issues for you in the future.

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012

Avian influenza (bird flu) 2021​

A warning to poultry and bird keepers this was sneaked back in last night.

Latest situation​

Update 3 November 2021:

• An Avian Influenza Prevention Zone (AIPZ) has been declared across Great Britain effective from 5pm on 3 November 2021 - see the AIPZ section for further information

Avian Influenza Prevention Zone​

An Avian Influenza Prevention Zone (AIPZ) has been declared across Great Britain effective from 5pm on 3 November 2021. The AIPZ means all bird keepers in Great Britain (whether they have pet birds, commercial flocks or just a few birds in a backyard flock) are required by law to take a range of biosecurity precautions.

Separate AIPZ declarations have been made in each Great Britain administration. Further details of the measures that apply in the AIPZ in England can be found in the Avian Influenza Prevention Zone declaration (PDF, 184KB, 7 pages).

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
is bird flu worse than man flu?

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
The restrictions have been put in place early compared to last year, hope this does not kick off, some official bod must be concerned.
Not the time for light hearted jokes folks, a dead swan, pheasant etc could result in the slaughter of thousands of local birds. Farmers are going to be very concerned, owning just a few chickens and ducks has just got harder. Imagine owning thousands and the white jackets turning up to destroy them all.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Question on this topic raised by Scottish Greens in First Ministers Questions an hour or so ago.
Outbreak in Angus (near Arbroath), birds are being culled and restriction have been imposed.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The Spanish Flu epidemic which killed millions of people after the First World War originated from an infected duck on a farm in the US.

The bird flu passed to a farm worker and then infected soldiers at a nearby training camp.

Bird flu is potentially a major source of infection

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012

Changes For Bird Keepers

Update 25 April 2022​

The UK Chief Veterinary Officers have announced that the mandatory housing measures for poultry and captive birds will be lifted across the UK from 00:01 on Monday 2 May 2022. The Avian Influenza Prevention Zone (AIPZ) will remain in force across the UK until further notice, with only the housing measures component being lifted from 00:01 on the 2 May 2022. This means all bird keepers (whether they have pet birds, a commercial or a backyard flock) must continue to take effective and precautionary biosecurity measures until further notice.

While the risk levels have reduced infection may still be present in the environment. All bird keepers should take proactive measures to prepare outside areas in advance the lifting of the housing measures. See our guidance on the proactive steps you should take before the 2 May 2022 to prepare for when your birds can be let outside again to reduce the risk to your birds.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back