Autotrail vline campervan and Elldis camper van

Likes collected
Funster No
Been thinking of changing our Autotrail apache for a campervan. Any one got either of these late models with dinette at front and any good or bad reports. I dont understand the £10,000 difference between the two.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Personally speaking I would save the £10,000 and go with the Elddis. I can't see any difference between the two either so I would go for the one that is cheaper and that has not had so may reported quality issues.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On a quick look the Elddis isn't as well equipped as the Autotrail and Autotrail always charge a premium price for their products. The Elddis hasn't got air con, passenger air-bag, steering wheel radio controls, cruise control, cab blinds for example (if it has it's not mentioned), nor the microwave and other cosmetic/better quality bits. The Elddis is white whereas the AT is coloured with colour coded bumpers etc. The AT has a 3-way fridge which alone will cost a lot more, and take longer to install, than the Elddis electric only one.*

On the Elddis I've just noticed that when you make the bed up the top ledge above the cushions stays in place ... could make it difficult to sit up in bed.

*If you do buy a PVC which has a Thetford T1090 fridge freezer make sure it is version 2 as version 1 is cr@p ... I speak from experience!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Been thinking of changing our Autotrail apache for a campervan. Any one got either of these late models with dinette at front and any good or bad reports. I dont understand the £10,000 difference between the two.

Is there no other van you fancy or are you constrained by the layout or what your dealer has available.

Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
On a quick look the Elddis isn't as well equipped as the Autotrail and Autotrail always charge a premium price for their products. The Elddis hasn't got air con, passenger air-bag, steering wheel radio controls, cruise control, cab blinds for example (if it has it's not mentioned), nor the microwave and other cosmetic/better quality bits. The Elddis is white whereas the AT is coloured with colour coded bumpers etc. The AT has a 3-way fridge which alone will cost a lot more, and take longer to install, than the Elddis electric only one.*

On the Elddis I've just noticed that when you make the bed up the top ledge above the cushions stays in place ... could make it difficult to sit up in bed.

*If you do buy a PVC which has a Thetford T1090 fridge freezer make sure it is version 2 as version 1 is cr@p ... I speak from experience!

A few differences then Mel :D I just went into both and thought these aren't well built.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A few differences then Mel :D I just went into both and thought these aren't well built.
I agree ... but Globecar don't do a rear-lounge version but if they did ... in the same vein as 'Carlsberg' ...

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Many of the dealers who do the Elddis CV20 or CV40 have their own customised versions, rather than the base spec. You need to check their various websites to find out what is actually in the spec.

The Elddis base spec is more spartan than the equivalent Autotrail. When I saw both at the NEC I thought the Elddis to be the entry level vehicle, even in it's various customisations, and Autotrail seemed more sophisticated (I can see all the Autotrail sceptics foaming at the mouth). But then you pay for what you get and undoubtedly there are more expensive brands out there of Autosleepers, Globecar, etc, of course subject to layout.

I suspect that dealer prices have less margin on the Eldsis, and greater on the Autotrail which might also narrow the price gap. Certainly at NEC the Autotrail had better discounting than the Elddis vans

Blue Knight

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I agree ... but Globecar don't do a rear-lounge version but if they did ... in the same vein as 'Carlsberg' ...

I may be going against the family here but I was thinking more Adria than Globecar for the OP. The Adria guys seem to be incredibly impressed with their vans.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Certainly at NEC the Autotrail had better discounting than the Elddis vans

Yep agreed, Autotrail has always been able to give the best discounts and with so many Autotrail dealers trying to clear their current new stock then the OP could achieve a huge discount on RRP. Our local dealer is already discounting his Autotrail units by a huge amount while the vans that he still has left over from last year are circa minus cost.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
F10E250E-2FED-4894-9566-323CB7C704CB.png

this looks pretty good for the money with cab air con , microwave ,cab blinds , cruise control alloys and more

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
If you are looking at this particular layout and budget, I would choose Elddis on the condition that I didn't have too deal with Marquis
Roller Team and Chausson have very similar models, both built by Autotrail alongside the V Line,Tribute range in Yorkshire

There is so little between them, I would choose by Dealer and particular Deal

CV20 above doesn't have the required Dinette

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 2012
Have you had a look at the Autotrail Tribute PVC range.
Same upholstery and furniture but minus electric step and microwave and for me better value

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Have you had a look at the Autotrail Tribute PVC range.
Same upholstery and furniture but minus electric step and microwave and for me better value
I've got a Tribute, front lounge, very pleased with it. Build quality is very good. Only negatives are that the foam mattress collapsed at 6 months, and it seems that the internal wall insulation is zilch. I've just sorted the sliding door insulation, the rear doors I've yet to look at. But as you say, I can't understand the £10,000 price difference. One thing that the V-Line seemed to suffer with in the past, is plastic windows problems. Some people had them replaced, some many times, but someone I was talking to last night has had problems getting them replaced at all. Hopefully the window problem has now been sorted on the latest vans.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Looking at any van with same layout not too far from West Yorkshire. Secondhand one would be considered.

If you're not keen on the continental style interiors and much prefer the Brit style vans within a reasonable budget then your pool will be limited to Tribute, Swift, Elddis, Benivan, Autotrail, Chausson etc.

If you already have an Apache then take a visit to Bronwhills and have a look at their AT, Swift, Elddis and Rapido range of PVCs as I reckon you'll be able to achieve a reasonable 'cost to change' against your current AT.

Personally speaking I would go for something cheaper and use the money you save to bespoke your new PVC to your own spec; i.e Gaslow, more solar, second hab battery, VB semi-air etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Blue Knight

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@woodstock

How about this sir. I came across it the other day and it looks like a bl○○dy good van for the money.

Screenshot_20190602-114132_Samsung Internet.jpg

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
OP wants a dinette Andrew, but looks a lot of starter van, when you think that dealers want £32k+ for 5 year old Tributes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back