Autotrail roof cracks (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
We have a three year old Autotrail (owned from new) which has developed 2 cracks in the roof. Autotrail are saying that it is not covered by warranty as GRP defects are only covered for 12 months, albeit they cover water ingress for 10 years and the crack is allowing water in through the seams. The vehicle has not been hit by anything so this appears to be some sort of stress crack or original fault. We have had all sorts of trouble with this van since day one but I would like to know if anyone else has suffered from random roof damage / cracks. This fault seems to make the motorhome not fit for purpose. Any thoughts or advice please.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
We have a 2016 registered Autotrail Delaware (2015 model). It has had a number of small cracks over the years. Last year I found two on the roof: one with two cracked lines on the overlapping joint about a metre behind the cab; the other a crescent shape on the curve at the rear. I have a picture of the cracks, but only found the crescent-shaped dent/crack the day before taking the motorhome for repair and didn't take a picture. The cracked roof area is directly below the TV aerial on the picture of the motorhome. The thumb-nail sized crescent-shaped dent was probably caused by manoeuvring under trees.

There is a repairer at Brownhills who is not directly employed but has his own workshop by the Brownhill Club overnight stay area. I have now had five separate areas repaired by him, and one small cracked panel replaced by Brownhills (not under warranty). He assured me that none were structural or could have caused water ingress.

I have discovered two more cracks by the offside rear light cluster. These are below the floor line but I will still ask him to repair them.

I don’t know if he is cheap as I have nothing to compare his price with, but the location is convenient for us as we just book one or two nights in the Club once we have dates that are available and suit him.

I can give more info if you PM me.

3D78AE58-9762-4450-BC5F-F4BD220F7470.jpeg

C49B3C67-474B-400F-A671-084C763DBE23.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
So are you saying Autotrail won't honour the water-ingress warranty because the roof is cracked?

Currently having our van roof (Swift) properly repaired after a couple of bodge jobs failed and water started coming in. Cause was a cracked roof panel which I now believe occurred when I had to get up onto the roof through the skylight when the sat dish failed and I had no other way of getting up there. Walking about on the roof, whilst not usually a complete no-no, it's easy to do unseen damage.

Has anybody ever been onto your van roof?

OP
OP
travelpanda
May 17, 2016
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
The only people who have been on the roof are the dealer to sort out a problem with the skylight and possible the chap who fitted the dish - but I think he works from a platform.

OP
OP
travelpanda
May 17, 2016
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2010
Autotrail have said that it is not covered under warranty because GRP is only covered for 12 months. Although the crack is not on a seam it is allowing water in and then it is finding its way to a seam and coming in from there.

Attachments

• crack1.JPG
    crack1.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 119
  • crack2.JPG
    crack2.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 115
  • crack3.JPG
    crack3.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 122
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I certainly don’t like the look of the first 2 photos, they certainly require action quickly before winter sets in.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Autotrail have said that it is not covered under warranty because GRP is only covered for 12 months. Although the crack is not on a seam it is allowing water in and then it is finding its way to a seam and coming in from there.
If you have a push with your thumbnail around the crack in photo 1 or 2 is is quite hollow underneath?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The first photo looks like it had been badly repaired already Martin, must be just the angle.
I know what you mean Paul, my thinking is as that area is an inside radius in the mould and especially with it being close to the edge there is a tendency for the fibreglass to bridge across and leave just the gelcoat on the mould surface which might look OK when de moulded but eventually crack like this.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Below are the stress fracture in the rear of our Auto-trail, the dealer had two attempts at repairing but failed miserably both times.
The person carrying out the the repair thought just gel coating over the cracks was the best solution.
He really talked a good job but that was his limit.
20171102_143614.jpg
20171102_143424.jpg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Not fit for purpose, warranty or not I would be seeking legal advice… just not acceptable to have this sort of thing to happen within 3yrs…🤷🏼‍♂️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back