Autotrail imala 730 (1 Viewer)

Dec 3, 2007
bristol
Funster No
MH
fiat autotrail imala 730
Exp
since 2005
Hi all we have got a new van (imala 730) and was wondering if anyone has had a motor cycle/ scooter rack fitted recently, our scooter is 110 kg.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I’m no expert, but you may need to verify you have the available payload and rear axle loading available to take the additional weight of rack plus scooter relative to rear overhang? I think somewhere on here there may be details of how to calculate load relative to the size of the rear overhang (cantilever effect?j etc.
There are also tow bar mounted hybrid racks/trailers which are rigid and have caster wheels (remain straight/in line with vehicle when reversing) to help take the majority of the scooter/motorbike weight from the chassis, such as the Easy Lifter Hydratrail.
I’m sure someone here far better equipped than I to help will interject soon to provide guidance.

Edit: this may help - https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ck-anyone-drive-with-one.135974/#post-1971381

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi all we have got a new van (imala 730) and was wondering if anyone has had a motor cycle/ scooter rack fitted recently, our scooter is 110 kg.

Hi John,

I've done a few calculations for you. If your Autotrail Imala 730 (if registered at 3.5T) has already got a tv, awning, solar panel and a tow bar fitted then once you add a few extra kg's to the MIRO weight (to offset for the variation in building materials) then you may only have around 149kg remaining for water, passengers, food, equipment, clothes, pets and motorbikes etc.

Cheers,

Andrew

Last edited:
OP
OP
jointerjohn
Dec 3, 2007
bristol
Funster No
MH
fiat autotrail imala 730
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for quick replies the van is uprated to 3650kg and the scooter is 110 kg so am hoping i will be ok , no awning but have solar panel and omni directional tv.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks for quick replies the van is uprated to 3650kg and the scooter is 110 kg so am hoping i will be ok , no awning but have solar panel and omni directional tv.

I would load your van for touring first and then visit a weighbridge to see what capacity you have remaining on the rear axle.

The large Autotrail Imala range are quite heavy vans so you may find that your axle exceeds its legal load capacity of 2000kg before you get anywhere near the 3650kg target.

There are a few other options which you could consider including the upgrade of the wheels and the addition of semi-air suspension but this will cost you a wedge of cash.

As it stands the Imala 730 cannot legally cope with such a heavy scooter on the back unless you take some form of remedial action.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had an Autotrail tracker and by the time we added a tow bar it tapped its bottom on every bump.

Had air assist suspension fitted and transformed the ride.

But even at a 500kg spare load i doubt u could hang a bike on the back.

We did with a easylifter hydratrail. But still needed air assist to prevent the rear grounding.

I suspect we were overweight on every trip but our local weighbridge will not do axle weights. :(

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had aTracker and had same problems to be honest I think Autotrail are not very good at giving the correct MIRO and payload details.
These vans should be on maxi chassis but I suppose it’s about keeping inside 3500 kg mgvw

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Congrats, nice van, Raer air assist would enable your rear axel weight to increase by 200KG,s and is so highly recommended by those funsters that have it, then with or without scooter on the back, I think its an upgrade option worth considering.
Average price for fitting full rear air assist with compressor and assuages in cab range from £850 to 1K.
Basic without compressor and gauges is much less.
Les
PS: Having travelled along The M25 Concreted sections yesterday with a join every 8 feet or so, I want it, as the journey was very uncomfortable, and annoying to say the least!

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sorry, but doesn't the spare wheel carrier on the back get in the way, or am I thinking of something else? We looked at the Imala but the bed wasn't long enough for me.

OP
OP
jointerjohn
Dec 3, 2007
bristol
Funster No
MH
fiat autotrail imala 730
Exp
since 2005
The spare wheel is right in the middle of the van! the detachable scooter/motorhome rack/rails are in line with the springs /chassis so do not interfere in any way

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back