Autotrail - disillusioned after 2017 Delaware thread. (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Bought an Autotrail once an Arapaho but it was a heap of Dodo ! ended up taking them to court as it was "not fit for purpose" won my case !
That was in 2007, had an idiot from there a Mr Teacher told they could re laminated the floor via the wardrobe and from one side, also said that it would not require clamping on both sides !
Have had a few Moho's since but NEVER EVER another Autotrail !!
See build quality has not gotten any better !!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We always try to buy British whenever we can - but willing to view what’s on offer from our European Motorhome manufacturers who don’t seem to understand that here in the UK we need the habitation door on the UK side so the dearest wife and dog don’t open the habitation door into the traffic….plus a decent oven and kitchen to cook our Sunday Dinner.
I fully understand why you would want a hab door on The UK side, along with a full oven to cook your Sunday roast. We initially could not understand why so many continental vans had either no oven provision or a small combi type oven & grill. It was then that we realised that even when we had a full size Thetford Oven in our caravan that we only used the grill or maybe warmed up a Pizza. Its not that we dont like cooking, we love cooking!. Its just that the Thetford was so poorly insulated & regulated that we didnt use it for anything other than warming up stuff.
We also try and avoid cooking inside the van because of stale smells lingering. It then dawned on us that the continentals must do what we do, thats cook outside, get the BBQ on or The Remoska and alike. In the UK winter we would probably go for a Sunday Carvery or a Pub meal on a Saturday.
I dont think we are missing much, although we do have a combi oven grill in The Carthago, we probably wont use it. We never used the microwave either in The caravan & we dont have one at home as we cook from scratch, we tend not to buy any ready made meals (other than a Pizza now & again).
So the plan is we will pitch up the awning and cook inside that with The Remoska oven (for the Sunday Roast) or electric hob plate, keeping the smells out the van, especially when I get the Wok going, or cook fresh fish and alike. :eek: It will take us some time to get used to the continental layout, but it should be fine on the continent in all that hot weather....hopefully.
Happy travels, glad you are happy with your van.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Mastic and or sealant are not the same as bonding adhesive, which is used very much in many industries, including aircraft. Probably not the same adhesive as used in aircraft wings etc, but the general approach is considered sound. I'm not keen on the general method of fitting a shell on to a floor platform, especially if that platform is largely wood. Not sure I would buy an AT anyway. Oh, I've got one! But it's a pvc, with a good strong crash-tested, ribbed and metal-braced body.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Mastic and or sealant are not the same as bonding adhesive, which is used very much in many industries, including aircraft. Probably not the same adhesive as used in aircraft wings etc, but the general approach is considered sound. I'm not keen on the general method of fitting a shell on to a floor platform, especially if that platform is largely wood. Not sure I would buy an AT anyway. Oh, I've got one! But it's a pvc, with a good strong crash-tested, ribbed and metal-braced body.

Agree 100% dreadful design flaw fitting the shell onto the floor channel relying on mastic to seal from the outside elements rather than have the floor fit inside of the sidewalls so that any water then flows down the side wall and past the floor joint so no chance at all of getting into the floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buchos

Free Member
Jul 1, 2017
Bangor, N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 640SE
Exp
A848E49D-75E3-43C9-BEFF-213BA026755B.jpeg
I've found our older Autotrail to be very solidly built ( though we did find a wooden brace fitted behind the drawers with 'remove this' and a big arrow beside it in marker ).

Theres no doubt that the sealant application in the Hymer vidro as above is much more 'engineered' than the new Autotrail one!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Agree 100% dreadful design flaw fitting the shell onto the floor channel relying on mastic to seal from the outside elements rather than have the floor fit inside of the sidewalls so that any water then flows down the side wall and past the floor joint so no chance at all of getting into the floor.
This is how they do the wall/floor junction on N+B vans, note how the sidewall outer skin goes past the floor to take drip away from the joint.

IMG_1264.JPG

Martin

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
This is how they do the wall/floor junction on N+B vans, note how the sidewall outer skin goes past the floor to take drip away from the joint.

View attachment 202247

Martin

A bloody shame they don`t alleviate the owners that pay so much for the British built auto-trails etc by using such a simple design

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't see the hang up people have with a the Hab door on the UK offside but then we rarely use our van in the UK. Don't understand the UK obsession of having to have a full cooker, waste of storage space but then again we probably only cook a a full roast a couple of times a year at home anyway. Certainly wouldn't bother when away in the van we like to cook meals that only take 20 min why waste valuable drinking time.:xgrin:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We always try to buy British whenever we can

We should, especially in the near future.

But from our earliest days across the channel we've noted the French are big buyers of French cars, whilst at the same time the Brits bought anything.

It is now very difficult to buy British coz we make almost nothing. Things need changing.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Arrived at dealers a bit early to pick up our van a couple of days ago, so wandered around looking at his stock. Not impressed with the fit and finish of the 2018 model Frontiers 4 of the 8 we looked at had issues that should have been sorted at the factory. What’s with the shower top white plastic finishing strip, it’s not stuck in place and looks awful curling away from the white shower top on all the vans we looked at.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
well, as an engineer, i have to say that i am genuinely shocked, that 'build quality' is appalling, god only knows how it stays together let alone watertight is beyond me, someone needs to take a serous look at their design, manufacturing and implementation process, i always had my doubts about so called 'coachbulit' vans in general regarding this type of thing, all i can say is im glad we stuck to our guns and bough the Adria PVC.
I assume they have shares in 'no more nails' and the like..........
Hi skylinersi ,we are looking at going down the PVC route ,what’s your thoughts on the Adria ,if you don’t mind me asking,thanks Rob.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
For info we have had two new Autotrails, the first a 2010 Trackers eks, nice van some small minor niggles easily sorted. In 2013 we bought a Frontier Mohawk, had lots of issues from day one some fairly minor others not so requiring many trips back to the dealers where the van had some lengthy stays. The Mohawk was a great layout and a lovely van but when we decided to change in 2016 we spent months checking out vans of all Marques at dealers and shows. In the end Hymer won us over entering one the quality really stands out so we took delivery of a Dynamic Line on January 5th this year, on the 13th we set off the 400 miles to the ferry at Portsmouth. Spent 10 weeks in the Algarve and So Spain we only had a couple of small issues the most major was the electric step failing (replaced under warranty on our return) We love the Hymer and hope its our last van, if not it will be another one, British manufacturers need to wake up and address the quality and workmanship issues. My ten pence worth.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Guys, am I right in thinking that the older Autoshed models, say pre-2003/4/5, were good quality and built in a different fashion to the modern style vans.

We met up with a lovely couple in Dumfires a few months ago who showed us around their 2003 van; I've got to admit that it was a very well built unit.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Guys, am I right in thinking that the older Autoshed models, say pre-2003/4/5, were good quality and built in a different fashion to the modern style vans.

We met up with a lovely couple in Dumfires a few months ago who showed us around their 2003 van; I've got to admit that it was a very well built unit.
You are probably correct.

If you read Hymer Forums you will see the same Mantra repeated about their products.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
You are probably correct.

If you read Hymer Forums you will see the same Mantra repeated about their products.

Interesting indeed, would you say that 2005 was the line in the sand for the quality change?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Interesting indeed, would you say that 2005 was the line in the sand for the quality change?
Sorry!:xsad:

I have no personal knowledge of either Autotrail or Hymer. I was merely commenting on what I have read on various forums and in magazines.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I believe Hymer went through a couple of years when they cheapened their product resulting in a lot of negative feedback and press from customers and the like. Can't remember the exact years but they did listen and take note upping their product quality.

OP
OP
pelican
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Arrived at dealers a bit early to pick up our van a couple of days ago, so wandered around looking at his stock. Not impressed with the fit and finish of the 2018 model Frontiers 4 of the 8 we looked at had issues that should have been sorted at the factory. What’s with the shower top white plastic finishing strip, it’s not stuck in place and looks awful curling away from the white shower top on all the vans we looked at.

OP
OP
pelican
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi si ,will call soon ,it’s a bit mad at are gaff what with Xmas fast approaching :xThumb:

no drama, will be quicker to tell you than type all the relevant bits n bobs, will be free sat afternoon and sunday to chat:xsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back