Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Don't confuse freedom of speech/expression as a right to offend people. They are not the same thing. vwalan's comment is deeply offensive to a great many people.

vwalan's comment made me really angry and I decided to wait for a few hours before posting a reply.

I do think it is a very small minority of people who would make such an insensitive and ridiculous comment such as this but I cant help feeling its shows a poor reflection on this forum.

such as a shame as I really enjoy this forum.

Steve

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Continuing off topic (a bit)

When I was eighteen I was with a group of lads on a tour of Western Europe. We visited Breendonk, near Antwerp. (For those who don’t know it Breendonk is a fortress, built as part of the defences of the city. It was adapted, by the Nazis, into a concentration camp).

One of the ‘exhibits’ was a scaffold designed for the execution of a number of people simultaneously. Being young and impetuous I climbed the steps and walked onto it. Almost immediately I experienced an overpowering feeling of dread, my legs went weak and I thought that I was going to fall over. I got off as quickly as my shaky legs would allow. That was fifty years ago, yet I remember it and the profound effect it had on me, as if it was last week.

I don’t believe in ghosts, but I suspect that great fear, horror and overpowering emotions can impregnate the fabric of structures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Continuing off topic (a bit)

When I was eighteen I was with a group of lads on a tour of Western Europe. We visited Breendonk, near Antwerp. (For those who don’t know it Breendonk is a fortress, built as part of the defences of the city. It was adapted, by the Nazis, into a concentration camp).

One of the ‘exhibits’ was a scaffold designed for the execution of a number of people simultaneously. Being young and impetuous I climbed the steps and walked onto it. Almost immediately I experienced an overpowering feeling of dread, my legs went weak and I thought that I was going to fall over. I got off as quickly as my shaky legs would allow. That was fifty years ago, yet I remember it and the profound effect it had on me, as if it was last week.

I don’t believe in ghosts, but I suspect that great fear, horror and overpowering emotions can impregnate the fabric of structures.

Oww, that raised the hairs on the back of my neck just reading it! :Sad:

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Auschwitz Where to stay

To get back to your original request. You can stay at the Centre of Dialogue and prayer. It is about a 10 minute walk from the Museum, it has showers and electrical hook up. I would recommend a guided tour which does both camps. If you wanted to do more because I think you cannot take it all in the first time, you can get the free bus from the Museum 1 to Birkenau 2 in the morning and explore at your own pace then go back to the Museum after 3pm when entry is free.
For Krakow stay at camping Smok outside Krakow which is an easy cycle into the city to see Schindlers Factory and the beautiful Centre. There is a great Pizza restaurant near to the camp. Also visit the salt mine whist in the area.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Any of us can make a silly spur of the moment off the cuff remark for a cheap laugh and many of us do without appreciating the hurt we cause. I would hope that if it were me I would apologise for my lack of thought.:Sad:

Sorry.

I find it very difficult to believe that anyone posting a "joke" on a thread titled Auschwitz referring to gas wouldn't appreciate the hurt it would cause.

Before this post there have only been three others that I will never forgive.

JJ :Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it was meant tongue in cheek as a joke . certainly never gave it any thought about hurting folk .
i have visited there and a few other places that arent nice , i,m sorry if i offended anyone .
. i just thought everyone would take it as a joke.
if it offended then sorry.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you find a post offensive then please report it. Venting your disaproval of a post in followup posts is encouraged, but calling a poster names is not. It just makes the matter worse and breaks rule one. Thanks.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i do hope the ones that have been upset can forgive me , it wasnt meant to be offensive . i dont want or would want to upset anyone . i was careless .
unfortunately i havent been on till just now . when i read the comments i apologized . i,m sure you can realize i wasnt being nasty .
it would be a shame if i have upset some of you as its a great forum . having met several of you i certainly enjoy it. sorry again .

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i do hope the ones that have been upset can forgive me , it wasnt meant to be offensive . i dont want or would want to upset anyone . i was careless .
unfortunately i havent been on till just now . when i read the comments i apologized . i,m sure you can realize i wasnt being nasty .
it would be a shame if i have upset some of you as its a great forum . having met several of you i certainly enjoy it. sorry again .
thank you and from watt I se a hart felt apology forgiven :thumb: well done:thumb:

Dec 27, 2013
Haydock
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2012

My Dad, god rest him, used to say "sometimes people say things they regret, but it takes a man to apologise" :Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
it was meant tongue in cheek as a joke . certainly never gave it any thought about hurting folk .
i have visited there and a few other places that arent nice , i,m sorry if i offended anyone .
. i just thought everyone would take it as a joke.
if it offended then sorry.

To be honest must confess it made me smile, in the context of this forum and it's many threads on gassing.
But then again I have no connections with the place like many of you on here, it always makes me wonder what the German tourists think when they go round these places, not been there but been to oradour where the commentary in the museam makes all Germans ba*****, don't know if the German version says the same.:Eeek:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The christian centre for study of auchwitz (google the correct name I cant remember it correctly) is just around the block from the camp and their aire is a much nicer place to stay than the auchwitz park. They also do reasonable food.:thumb:

Thefirstbritsbrother

Free Member
Nov 17, 2013
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Centrum for Dialogue and Prayer Auschwitz

We plan to stay here when we visit next month just over the road from the site, seems both safe and secure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
S

simontheturk

Free Member
Jan 14, 2010
Funster No
There main car park,gets very busy,wouldn't really want to leave motorhome there,if you do it's 15polish zoloty,about 3pound
If you go opposite there is another parking area which seems to be used by most at 20 polish about 4pound
Or as we stayed at the place of diolouge and prayer about another 800mts ,signposted at 70 polish for two people electric and shower block,very nice grounds
Go to museum1 first,go I guided group with head phones for 40polish each,the guide also comes on the free bus to the 2nd site
Another thing off the bucket list

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Was at Auschwitz one September with a polish friend , he had been before and the look in his eyes and his stare as he looked over the railway line at Birkenhead 2 will never leave me , his whole family suffered under the germans, this place just brings all the tv documentaries to life personally I think everyone should visit and feel the intense atmosphere when walking around , very very humbled indeed

Reactions: f6c

elfish

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
london
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
I went to Yad Vashem (holocaust museum in israel) around 30 years ago.

While I was looking at somethING, I started chating to a woman. She showed me her tat tat too.

Her stories.... :-(

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Never been to Auschwitz, but I'm certain I'll visit at some time. I did visit Mauthausen as a 20 year old student when I was studying abroad....its an experience I'll never forget. Hubby has never visited a concentration camp - we'll probably visit Dachau this year as we'll be in the area (though I don't think he realises the impact its likely to have).

Why do we visit these places? Its funny coz we had this conversation (in relation to WW1 battlefields & memorials) only a week ago with the mother in law...she couldn't understand why we felt the need to visit such sad places whilst on holiday. The best I could say was that its important not to forget, to make sure they're not just abstract words in a history book.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the mother in law...she couldn't understand why we felt the need to visit such sad places whilst on holiday. The best I could say was that its important not to forget, to make sure they're not just abstract words in a history book.

The olde fartes of FUN will never forget. As kids the papers were full of the atrocities. And the papers have been full of atrocities for the whole of our lives. How many have died from terrorism this week alone. I couldn't visit one, my opinion of the human race is low enough already.

But don't let me spoil your holiday, visit the concentration camps and get on a ferry and visit Aleppo for a more up to date atrocity and you might as well carry on a do Iraq, we did that with the help of the USA.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
The olde fartes of FUN will never forget. As kids the papers were full of the atrocities. How many have died from terrorism this week alone. I couldn't visit one, my opinion of the human race is low enough already.
Maybe you won't forget, my mother in law won't either, but she found it hard to grasp that there are people who have already forgotten (or maybe never learned in the first place?) just how inhuman man can be to fellow man. For far too many people such atrocities are simply words on a page, they have no real impact.

QUOTE="hilldweller, post: 2207018, member: 5089"]But don't let me spoil your holiday, visit the concentration camps and get on a ferry and visit Aleppo for a more up to date atrocity and you might as well carry on a do Iraq, we did that with the help of the USA.[/QUOTE]
I actually think our holidays would be much more nicer without visiting such places thanks - we don't visit them for enjoyment, rather for learning, remembrance and contemplation. Holidays are the only time we get to travel and we prefer to use that precious time for educational as well as fun and relaxing experiences.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Holidays are the only time we get to travel and we prefer to use that precious time for educational as well as fun and relaxing experiences.

Fair enough, forgive an old man's cynicism in a world full of genocide.

I read somewhere recently the latest hot technology is genetically targeted disease, so the KKK can order up a batch of "make Afro-Amaricans infertile bug". An ISS killer is a tricky one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back