Aurora Watch.. amber alert UK ! (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and an added note of caution, all the photos I have seen for last night and most other UK sightings are taken on very long exposures and would be barely visible to the eye, the clue quite often are the stars in the sky leave trails from where they have moved in the sky during exposure

I am planning Norway / Sweden for September next year, I have heard that is a good month for sightings without rising really bad weather

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
You are so right. They emailed me yesterday just after lunch. Then the next email appeared after I had shut the laptop for the night, and when there was a second one in the inbox this morning I didn't properly check the time stamp :(

Sorry folks :(

Reactions: DBK
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
aurora watch 17th March 15.png

This was the end result of last nights alerts, I have never seen such a sustained amber / red period, indicating pretty significant solar storm activity which normally leads to Aurora sightings (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Really fed up, missed it by 2 nights, excellent sightings in North wales.
Timing is everything in life!

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Okay have I got it right this time

Its another amber alert for tonight - or does the time stamp mean it was for this morning????

AuroraWatch UK amber alert, 2015-03-19 09:23:02UT.

When I was up in Shetland and Orkney I met lots of folk who said they had never seen them, or maybe only once - and those are folk who spend there lives there.

One guy who had moved to the top of Harris had a camera set up outside his kitchen door and switched it on every night and then next day picked out any good shots. He said he would often pop out, see nothing, then next day find some terrific shots. And as David said long exposure show them well, and for good photos a tripod is essential.

Its just luck I am sure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The graph shows the activity levels now, you can see the time on the X axis along the bottom. So it really only counts when there is amber or red activity when it is dark o'clock. In other words, if you were in say Alaska now, where I guess it is dark now then you might see something but here in the UK the daylight prevents you seeing anything.

Whether there is anything to see tonight will depend on the current level of activity remaining or hopefully getting stronger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back