Auchan or Carrefour? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Any real difference? We're new to French touring so any comments would be much appreciated. We'll be finding out for ourselves soon.....

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Possibly also depends on which part / region of France you intend to visit.
For large super / hyper markets the most common are E.Leclerc, Super or Hyper U, Carrefour, IntermarchƩ and Auchan, the size of shop and the variety of produce offered will depend on where you are, they are all pretty good with massive choice.
Smaller villages will also have smaller independent type mini markets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We usually find Auchan cheaper but wouldn't go out of our way for it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We just use the Supermarket which is most convenient to where we are staying or driving through. Plenty of them about. Not much difference between them.

Also use them for cheaper diesel and some have LPG.

We find that a lot of Intermarches have self service launderettes outside of them that can be used 24 hours a day. Much cheaper than camp site services.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Either are ok but most importantly avoid the ones in Calais :( as certain persons hang around these stores !!!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The baguettes you can get in the big supermarkets are inferior to artisan baked baguettes from the nearest village Boulangerie.

All the big superstores are similar but I tend to prefer Auchan. Except of course for baguettes.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We usually find Auchan cheaper but wouldn't go out of our way for it.
Generally NOT our experience, especially for meat and fish. We find Carrefour and IntermarchĆ© the cheapest of the ā€œmainā€œ grocers (leaving aside Lidl and Aldi). Though I suspect there may be some regional disparities. In any event, we find that food in France is more expensive than food in the UK-something that has reversed since we first started going to to France in 1988.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Around September Auchan have liver debilitating and weight problem causing wine sales. They also have a great aisle of all the bargain bucket items you dont need but just have to buy because they are so cheap.

As others have said which ever is in the way

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Generally NOT our experience, especially for meat and fish. We find Carrefour and IntermarchĆ© the cheapest of the ā€œmainā€œ grocers (leaving aside Lidl and Aldi). Though I suspect there may be some regional disparities. In any event, we find that food in France is more expensive than food in the UK-something that has reversed since we first started going to to France in 1988.
They do vary from area to area and also what the 'competition' is. Overall though food in France is more expensive, we've noticed that for a long time but it doesn't mean better quality. The most expensive was markets, even for basic such as fruit and veg which is not better, or sometimes even worse (grotty) than the supermarkets but people always say markets are better, some are but at a heck of a price. Again, area etc dependent though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wine prices far better in Auchan than Carrefour, we prefer Super U but tend to do a lot of our shopping in Lidl & Aldi it saves a fortune. Lidl in Spain tend to be much bigger stores with a much better range than Lidl in the rest of Europe.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
They do vary from area to area and also what the 'competition' is. Overall though food in France is more expensive, we've noticed that for a long time but it doesn't mean better quality. The most expensive was markets, even for basic such as fruit and veg which is not better, or sometimes even worse (grotty) than the supermarkets but people always say markets are better, some are but at a heck of a price. Again, area etc dependent though.
Yes, agree with you about markets and especially ā€˜farmerā€™ markets. We felt we ought to support them in the little town nearest to our house but the prices were eye-watering, and as you say, often the produce was grotty.

Itā€™s the same dilemma as here; supermarkets can benefit from forcing farmers to supply at low prices (sometimes at below the cost of production) so that consumers pay a low price. The farmers selling direct to consumers have to charge realistic prices and are therefore relatively expensive. The real issue is that we, the general public, have unrealistic expectations of what we should be paying for food.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Around September Auchan have liver debilitating and weight problem causing wine sales.
Need to be careful on their offers and make sure you pick the box right under the offer card hanging from the ceiling.
One time our bill seemed a bit expensive at the checkout, when I checked it later the box of wine I bought thinking it was ā‚¬2.95 a bottle was ā‚¬22.50 a bottle, that hurt at least it was on offer.:LOL:

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Super U do seem to be the cheapest of the lot (apart from Lidl and Aldi) but we find them the sparsest chain and especially in Burgundy. We look out for them as their diesel prices, when they have a garage, are the lowest.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Need to be careful on their offers and make sure you pick the box right under the offer card hanging from the ceiling.
One time our bill seemed a bit expensive at the checkout, when I checked it later the box of wine I bought thinking it was ā‚¬2.95 a bottle was ā‚¬22.50 a bottle, that hurt at least it was on offer.:LOL:
I genuinely cant believe you tried buying a 3 euro bottle of wine.

I used to admire you and your money saving ;)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Back in those days there was a weak Frank and a strong Pound.
Nowadays it's a week Pound and a strong Euro.

When I were but a lad, (late 60's early 70's) when the schools broke up in July my parents and a lot of their friends used to pack up tents and kids into a number of cars and head for a campsite in Brittany.
After a week the Dad's would all go back in a couple of the cars.
Leaving the Mummy's and all us kids on the site by the beach for a month.
Last week of August all the Daddies would come back out for the last week of the school holidays
and then we would all go home and back to school.

The main reason my parents did this was the cost.
It was a lot cheaper, including the ferry and camping costs, to live in France for 6 weeks than it would have been to live in the UK.
Today it would be cheaper to remain in the UK.

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
I agree mostly with the advice give. Something I learnrned recently was that some leClerc stores were owned by them, some of them are franchised, which explains the sometimes-seen discrepancies in stock. This was triggered by an observation about the poor wine offering in one, which was explained as being because the franchisee was anti-alcohol, and stocked the bare minimum required by the franchisor!!

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Thanks all for some fascinating insights. Can't wait to try them all.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The baguettes you can get in the big supermarkets are inferior to artisan baked baguettes from the nearest village Boulangerie.

I like Carrefour best.
Having tried dozens of different baguettes from all over France my favourite is Carrefour's cheapest 0.47cents baguette - perfect. :hugs:
Take a look at their range of ham - you will be amazed and all good.
We treat ourselves at least one a week to the big crevette's in the shell - half a kilo cost around a fiver. Brilliant for a relaxed lunch.

I genuinely cant believe you tried buying a 3 euro bottle of wine.
I was buying a great Spanish prosecco type fizzy wine for 2.95ā‚¬ in Aldi last year.
I even brought six cases home with me (I had a bottle last Friday) - There's no expense spared when it comes to wine :drinks:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's much the same as the UK. Where we are, the nearest Morrisons isn't brilliant, neither is the nearest Aldi. We went up to Blackpool before Xmas to see the lights and went to M's up the rd from the airport cos it was easy to find with no hassle since we'd passed it on the way in from the motorway - and got stuff we'd been hoping to buy since last summer, and had looked in every supermarket we'd been in around home since, with no luck. Brilliant selection of everything, basically.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Having tried dozens of different baguettes from all over France my favourite is Carrefour's cheapest 0.47cents baguette - perfect. :hugs:
Agree, its the only supermarket cheapo French stick that's edible!

Deleted User
The larger Carrefour stores had an aisle dedicated to English food if you're desperate for marmite soldiers in the morning. šŸ˜

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The larger Carrefour stores had an aisle dedicated to English food if you're desperate for marmite soldiers in the morning. šŸ˜
They stock English cheddar cheese too although it's more expensive than in the UK it's not a lot more if you are desperate!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I haven't been over the channel for a few years now, reading this thread with interest.(y)
I wonder if we can expect to see the duty free warehouses opening up again in Calais? who remembers "East Enders" and the likes?:giggle:
I even used to spend my Sainsburys reward points at the Sainsburys wine shop in Auchen.
Ā£1 return ferry booze cruises from Dover to Calais and back, they were the days, I must have been mad, talk about a a long day out there & back, but the fish alone was worth going for, even though it was caught in our waters.:giggle:
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back