Atera strada DL3 bike rack 🙄 the most unhelpful company we have ever delt with. 🤨 (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We purchased a atera bike rack in Germany after we spent a fortune on our electric bikes, :Eeek: and having had a lot of dealings with Germans and have German friends find them very good and always very helpful. 🙂
Late last year our rack stopped locking on one side, so used a ratchet strap to secure it until we got home, contacted the Atera factory in Germany and explained a part of the brackets snapped off. 😐
Can you post us a bracket to Spain............... NO
Can we take it to one of your retailers for repair........... NO
It needs to come to the factory, 🤔 €90 postage plus parts.
I undo the bracket 3 screws and a spring, must say not over impressed with the quality of the bracket and not surprised the tiny square had snapped off.
IMG_20191124_133659989.jpg

The small square should be attached to the bit of metal inside the square hole. 😯
Sent them some photos including this one, try to get someone higher in the factory, no joy 🙄 so told them we are coming to Germany we will bring it with us, emailed them yesterday to make an appointment because time is restricted this year, they want it for a week, explained I took it off and refitted it in half an hour, and really would appreciate it done in one day......... NO it's a week for repairs. 🤨
I have drilled a hole to put a padlock through, and that's how it will stay, I'm afraid if I went to the factory someone would get throttled, plus I will not give them another euro.
What really annoys me is on our travels around the UK and Europe we have demonstrated how we can open our van doors to all nationalities promoting these bike racks, never again. 🤨 Bob.

PS 😉
The other German company we contacted was Alugas about testing and stamping our aluminium gas bottle, very helpful and will post our experience when we visit. 😁

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi bobandjanie im trying to work out where abouts this part is on your bike rack.
Is it so that the rack folds down / pulls out so that you can access the tailgate?
Is there anyway that you could take it to a local garage and ask them to weld it for you?
My experience of dealing with Atera is that they just want to sell you a new rack.
You could end up paying the postage and they won’t fix it.
They told me that if it’s a part that can’t be bought as a spare, they will not fix it.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, it's the part that locks it when you slide it back and forwards, certainly an unbelievable company, 🙄 talk about customer service.
That was a concern about posting it back, and having a big bill for the repair because it was obvious what was needed and they would know the cost of the part and labour to replace it, but couldn't give me a price. 🤔 Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I think it maybe better for you to try and get it welded locally.
I had similar issues in that the part which locks onto the towball, it was tight on the clamping mechanism, but not tight enough to stop the rack moving left to right on the ball.
I wanted to just replace the clamp part which sits on the ball.
They advised me then that unless it’s a stocked selling part, they won’t replace it.
(Unless it’s under warranty but then you have to prove that it wasn’t wear & tear or misuse)
Frustrating I know.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I may get it done on our UK visit if I remember, 🙄 I have contacts there that can weld, unlike the ones in Spain they either learn on the boat over or charge an arm and leg. 😁
My first job at 15 was trainee welder sheet metal worker, 😉 I seem to remember something about pigeon s#!t 😉 and after years of experience you still get that here. 😯😁 Bob.

Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018
The Roof Box Company based in Sedburgh supplied our Atera bike rack. They are very helpful and may be able to suggest a fix. 01539621884

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Have you contacted the UK retailer... roofbox.co.uk ?
They may have some constructive advice or help... especially if its a common issue.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Their retailers are very helpful here but all they do is sell them, they have to go back to the factory for repairs. 🙄
If anyone that has got roof box to repair one, without it going to the factory shout up, but we only have 19 days in the UK and have to rush home, 😉 having sacked our agents that were looking after our holiday rental. 🙄😁 Bob.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I think it maybe better for you to try and get it welded locally.
I had similar issues in that the part which locks onto the towball, it was tight on the clamping mechanism, but not tight enough to stop the rack moving left to right on the ball.
I wanted to just replace the clamp part which sits on the ball.
They advised me then that unless it’s a stocked selling part, they won’t replace it.
(Unless it’s under warranty but then you have to prove that it wasn’t wear & tear or misuse)
Frustrating I know.

GAVLAD this is an example, I know it was free but a simple job cut the posts off, weld a sleeve inside to slide them in and out. 🤣
NOT exactly a snug fit. 🤔 Bob
20200709_142207.jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I may get it done on our UK visit if I remember, 🙄 I have contacts there that can weld, unlike the ones in Spain they either learn on the boat over or charge an arm and leg. 😁
My first job at 15 was trainee welder sheet metal worker, 😉 I seem to remember something about pigeon s#!t 😉 and after years of experience you still get that here. 😯😁 Bob.
if you are down this way I can blow holes in it & pigeon s*** it as good as a spaniard,:giggle: weld it for you.
GAVLAD this is an example, I know it was free but a simple job cut the posts off, weld a sleeve inside to slide them in and out. 🤣
NOT exactly a snug fit. 🤔 Bob
View attachment 405564
has it been in the sea?

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
We purchased a atera bike rack in Germany after we spent a fortune on our electric bikes, :Eeek: and having had a lot of dealings with Germans and have German friends find them very good and always very helpful. 🙂
Late last year our rack stopped locking on one side, so used a ratchet strap to secure it until we got home, contacted the Atera factory in Germany and explained a part of the brackets snapped off. 😐
Can you post us a bracket to Spain............... NO
Can we take it to one of your retailers for repair........... NO
It needs to come to the factory, 🤔 €90 postage plus parts.
I undo the bracket 3 screws and a spring, must say not over impressed with the quality of the bracket and not surprised the tiny square had snapped off.
View attachment 405547
The small square should be attached to the bit of metal inside the square hole. 😯
Sent them some photos including this one, try to get someone higher in the factory, no joy 🙄 so told them we are coming to Germany we will bring it with us, emailed them yesterday to make an appointment because time is restricted this year, they want it for a week, explained I took it off and refitted it in half an hour, and really would appreciate it done in one day......... NO it's a week for repairs. 🤨
I have drilled a hole to put a padlock through, and that's how it will stay, I'm afraid if I went to the factory someone would get throttled, plus I will not give them another euro.
What really annoys me is on our travels around the UK and Europe we have demonstrated how we can open our van doors to all nationalities promoting these bike racks, never again. 🤨 Bob.

PS 😉
The other German company we contacted was Alugas about testing and stamping our aluminium gas bottle, very helpful and will post our experience when we visit. 😁

I've got a 2nd DL3 I'm keeping for spares for my replacement after damaging my first one on a bollard. I'll have a look over the weekend to see if the bracket you need is intact if you are interested

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I've got a 2nd DL3 I'm keeping for spares for my replacement after damaging my first one on a bollard. I'll have a look over the weekend to see if the bracket you need is intact if you are interested

That would be great, it's in the end of the runner behind the numberplate the lefthand side without the button you push down to slide it back. 😁
Many thanks. 🙂 Bob

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
A bit late I know but I broke some parts of my DL3 when I reversed into a post in Switzerland a few years ago.
I bodged it up with gaffer tape and cable ties and rang roof box in Cumbria. When I got home a week later the parts I ordered were there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back