Asked for cash, what would you do? (2 Viewers)

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
On our way to a few nights out in the motorhome we stop off at a service station on the M6 near Staffordshire. We take the dog out for a walk and use the facilities to freshen up a little.
On returning to our van we are approached by a guy who explains he is with his family and needs to get to Holyhead but can’t get any fuel for his car. His credit card is being refused and his wife and daughter are distressed about getting back in time for his ferry.
Reading this and thinking about I would say that we have been had and given in to begging at the services, however we couldn’t walk away and gave the guy £40 believing his story, we also saw others after also giving him some cash (he said he needed £80 to get home).
We’re doing alright and I don’t think I’d have been okay with saying no, he did send me a text message, after asking for my number, so he could repay when he got back and sent me a message so I have his number. I won’t chase the £40 and will leave it as it is. I will update should things change but has anyone else had this or similar? What did / would you do.....

OP
OP
B

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
Ok, I agree with you all. I’m fully embarrassed....a sucker for his wife and kid in the car.

I would tell him to bring his car to the pump and I'll dispense and pay for the fuel.
Wonder how long it would take for him to realise he's not getting cash.

(y) Yes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I even had one chap follow a delivery lorry to my house asking if he could siphon his tank for £50 then refill on the company card.....

Another was offering TV’s, they were broken and not working but of course, with a wink he insisted he never said they worked.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
As above, bring car to the pump.
If it turns out to be a white transit, unlucky 🤔😊

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
On our way to a few nights out in the motorhome we stop off at a service station on the M6 near Staffordshire. We take the dog out for a walk and use the facilities to freshen up a little.
On returning to our van we are approached by a guy who explains he is with his family and needs to get to Holyhead but can’t get any fuel for his car. His credit card is being refused and his wife and daughter are distressed about getting back in time for his ferry.
Reading this and thinking about I would say that we have been had and given in to begging at the services, however we couldn’t walk away and gave the guy £40 believing his story, we also saw others after also giving him some cash (he said he needed £80 to get home).
We’re doing alright and I don’t think I’d have been okay with saying no, he did send me a text message, after asking for my number, so he could repay when he got back and sent me a message so I have his number. I won’t chase the £40 and will leave it as it is. I will update should things change but has anyone else had this or similar? What did / would you do.....
Typical Irish gypsy sob story. I heard it many, many times over the years. I put it down to driving a UK registered car.
Phil

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sat in my van at a services once and watched a guy carrying out this scam. Carried a baby and had another child hanging on. Worked it for nearly an hour on three victims.
Was this inScotland? You know how are canny folks :rofl:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Happened to me at a rail station, same OP purse stolen needed to get home, mother ill etc etc!

C'mon me @ansome I'll buy you a ticket, lets go to the machine!

No no just give me the cash, don't you trust me?

No!

**** *** ******!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Think as folk have said probably a scam although sometimes these requests can be genuine, in 2003 while my dad was in Seville to watch Celtic play in the uefa cup final he was approached by an Irish guy in the street. The story was similar that he'd lost his wallet and his ticket to fly home that night and wondered if my dad could help, dad went back to the hotel got 100 euros from my mum and gave it to the guy.

The guy took my dads details and 1 week later a bunch of flowers for my mum and a cheque for the cash arrived, about 3 months later the guy was passing through Dumfries and as my dad had gave him his shop address rather than home the guy popped in with his wife to thank him.

Not all folk are scammer but due to the ones that are we end up not trusting anyone.

OP
OP
B

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
Think as folk have said probably a scam although sometimes these requests can be genuine, in 2003 while my dad was in Seville to watch Celtic play in the uefa cup final he was approached by an Irish guy in the street. The story was similar that he'd lost his wallet and his ticket to fly home that night and wondered if my dad could help, dad went back to the hotel got 100 euros from my mum and gave it to the guy.

The guy took my dads details and 1 week later a bunch of flowers for my mum and a cheque for the cash arrived, about 3 months later the guy was passing through Dumfries and as my dad had gave him his shop address rather than home the guy popped in with his wife to thank him.

Not all folk are scammer but due to the ones that are we end up not trusting anyone.
I would like to believe that too, he has my details and will see in a few weeks time. I do not normally fall for anything so either I was on a high being out after lock down or my brain was fuddled by something else. Lol.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
This reminds me when one night just got into bed and there’s a knock on the door, went down and some bloke on the step said can you give me a push..! I said no chance mate and slammed the door, back upstairs mrs asks what was that about so told her and she said he might have his wife and kids in the car and just needs a jump start go and help him... so I goes down and outside shouts out where are you mate... “over here on the swing” he says...

😁

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
This was a regular scam in France a number of years ago. Having given a German €20 which he promised to post to us later we learned the lesson.

Later the same year, at a Service Area on the A26 an English guy used the same story, promising to send the money to us as soon as he got home. I said, “OK, just let me take the details from your Passport and we will help”.

We couldn’t see him for the dust cloud he kicked up in making a quick exit.

Since then we have used the same technique if approached.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I has similar, i got to know a chap vaguely whilst fishing the same lake on a few occasions, he asked for my number so we could meet up and go fishing at other places together i fished with him about 5 or 6 times

Then one night he rang me and said he had put £50 fuel in his car and could not find his debit card, could i pay for his fuel over the phone and he would sort it out the next day.

I did this and paid the fuel station for his fuel and thought it would get sorted the next day. Never seen him since and he has blocked my number on his phone, you live and learn that its not always a good idea to be nice.

I dont loose sleep over it as it was 50 quid but i probably with never help anyone again which may cause a genuine person some grief

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
This reminds me when one night just got into bed and there’s a knock on the door, went down and some bloke on the step said can you give me a push..! I said no chance mate and slammed the door, back upstairs mrs asks what was that about so told her and she said he might have his wife and kids in the car and just needs a jump start go and help him... so I goes down and outside shouts out where are you mate... “over here on the swing” he says...

😁

😂

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
But sometimes, some things are genuine.
It's very difficult to judge.
Your charitable nature and approach is commendable, and I would perhaps have not offered cash, but some other form of assistance, depending on the circumstances.
Good for you for thinking about someone else.
Perhaps there is some faith in human nature after all during these troubled and turbulent times.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back