Asked for cash, what would you do? (1 Viewer)

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I’m amazed to read this and see how people are still taken in, I can see how people( like me) are overly cynical through whatever but this level of trusting? Really?
I was a big fan of a tv show called watchdog and I think it should have been on tv For an hour each night, replaced one show or news or anything because there’s plenty wrongdoings need spotlighted.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Anyone passing Strensham services on the weekend I'll be in there broken down all your help will be appreciated as I will be going to or coming from the Malvern show so will really need the money :giggler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Its happened to us in France. I didn't fall for it.

But in Boulogne many years ago. A bloke stopped and asked me if I could spare hime some money for food as he was hungry. He was very polite and spoke good English.

I gave him €5

My wife gave me a right old earful "WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?"

I said, maybe one day we could end up that desparate. If we were, someone may pay me the same kind gesture.

"IT WILL BE FOR DRUGS YOU FOOL"

So, we sat at the bar and I pointed out the man I gave money to was queuing up at the take away. He ordered his sandwich and drink, sat on a bench and savoured his purchase. I then watched as he started to pick up cigarette butts to smoke from the floor. So I went over and offered him my half packet.

I have never forgotten his face or how grateful and polite he was.

Made me feel good and I lived with the earache

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
At a site near Benidorm a few years back was an English man in a very nice motorhome with his dog, drinking bottles of spirits and eating takeaways most nights, I saw him one day outside a supermarket with dog and a cap in his hand begging....

one way to pay for your travels and holiday I suppose...

🤔 wonder how much I’d make...?

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
There not all scams 😉
Screenshot_20200505-122341__01.jpg

Monkeynut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
LWB HIACE
I had the same at the services just north of Penrith yesterday with the same sob story , "me n mi little gurl tryin t git ta ollyed "
I clocked onto him straight away soon has he stuck his head in my van and started eying it up
Told the person in the fuel keosk

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
A man approached me yesterday 04/08/2022 on the motorway Services(sandbach north mwsa) on M6 40 mins away from Manchester. Soon i parked my Van on the services he parked next to me and started telling me his story. He had his 10 years old son on the passenger seat. He said " he just come from Ireland and his bank cards not working here. and he need to get to London to see his relative who is in hospital. And I don’t have money to put more fuel in the car"

i politely asked to see his ID. And he showed me his irish driving licence, He was driving a dark red Seat MPV Car(Registration plate: OXZ2771) and he gave me a phone miss call from this number +353852163434 and said you send me your details and I will send you your money back.
I didn't believe his words. But i gave him £20 just because he has a child in his car. I hope he was telling the truth and not teaching children what he was doing for living.

A man approached me yesterday 04/08/2022 on the motorway Services(sandbach north mwsa) on M6 40 mins away from Manchester. Soon i parked my Van on the services he parked next to me and started telling me his story. He had his 10 years old son on the passenger seat. He said " he just come from Ireland and his bank cards not working here. and he need to get to London to see his relative who is in hospital. And I don’t have money to put more fuel in the car"

i politely asked to see his ID. And he showed me his irish driving licence, He was driving a dark red Seat MPV Car(Registration plate: OXZ2771) and he gave me a phone miss call from this number +353852163434 and said you send me your details and I will send you your money back.
I didn't believe his words. But i gave him £20 just because he has a child in his car. I hope he was telling the truth and not teaching children what he was doing for living.

Wow thats about £80 you gave him :LOL::LOL:

On a serious note I think you've been scammed

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I hope he was telling the truth and not teaching children what he was doing for living.
thats exactly waht they do, the kid is what makes it work.

I had the same at burtonwood services 4 months back as I was lay on the grass, and politley said I had no money and am on the bones of me arse meself

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
This scam and the Italian leather jackets on motorway service stations have been going for years Even when I was in the Bobbies in the 70s.
We occasionally had a purge on these guys and women. One of them was doing the ‘I am skint and need fuel to get my young son back to his mother’ his story didn’t hold water and when we search him and his car he had over £900, which he later admitted was 2 days worth of begging on both sides of Birch services on the M62.I was gobsmacked 🤪

Funny story.
On Birch services around 7 years ago I was suited and booted and had just nipped to the toilet and had returned to my car when fit blond women tapped on my window wanting to talk to me, I thought “here we go what’s she offering?“ turned out she was a TV reporter for ’Granada Tv‘ and wanted to talk to me about the rising number of cars breaking down on the motorway because they ran out of fuel.
The first minute or so of the interview had to edited as I was my sceptical self and asked what she was offering and she got embarrassed. Watched myself on TV later that same night and I cringed at my comments about the drivers being plonkers 🤭🤭🤭🤭

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Scariest one I had was driving back to a campsite in France on a quiet unlit road, when I was confronted by a woman lying motionless across the road. As I slowed down, my wife spotted 2 guys coming forward from the hedgerow and she screamed "BOOT IT, IT'S AN AMBUSH" lol.
Heart was racing that night!

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Just seen the date of this thread :ROFLMAO: I feel so stupid. But I have to admit I have done the same thing to a guy with the same story and you do feel so embarrassed when it dawns on you that you have been had.

Gina

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Walking along in Edinburgh when an inebriated gent asked me for 20p towards a drink. I said what towards a cup of tea? No towards a wee dram, for being honest he got his 20p
It was quite a few years ago

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Walking along in Edinburgh when an inebriated gent asked me for 20p towards a drink. I said what towards a cup of tea? No towards a wee dram, for being honest he got his 20p
I would have followed him to find out where he gets whisky at 20p a dram 😃😃😃

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Just seen the date of this thread :ROFLMAO: I feel so stupid. But I have to admit I have done the same thing to a guy with the same story and you do feel so embarrassed when it dawns on you that you have been had.

Gina
Don’t be embarrassed, it’s a kind thing to do.

By telling people you are helping them not be a victim.

These people prey on the fact most of us are nice.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I had the sob story .... Cards don't work and only got euros, heading home after a wedding can you pay for £20 diesel please..... How you paying me back?
I only have Euros and got a couple of €50 notes from his pocket whilst explaining again he had no Sterling.... Quick as a flash I grabbed one of the €50 notes and said that will do and walked off to the pay point (I must have felt brave that day) ....
I must have caught him off guard as I was half way there before he ran across the forecourt to ask for the money back as "it's my last note and I need it"....
Robbing bas@ards. Sorry no other word for them.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When I used to travel in to Glasgow station, I used to see a chap who would ask “can you spare some change for a cup of tea”. One day I said to him, “better than that mate, here’s a cup of tea” and bent down to hand him my tea. (Worst cup of street tea I’ve ever tasted and I didn’t know where the bin was😆). “I don’t want yet f**kin tea yer bass” came his swift reply knocking out my hand.
Laughed all the way to the train. Still saved me finding that bin. 😉

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp

Strange that his vehicle is N Irish registered but his phone is Southern Irish

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I will be paked at strenchem services tomorrow and if anyone passing would be kind enough all donations excepted .please no stamps or old £20.00 notes
Thanks see you there 👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
A few years ago I had the local idiot as me for 60p for a pint, I gave him £1.20 and asked him to bring me one👍😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back