AS Kingham - Cleaning Interior window curtains (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Good afternoon - Having decided to give our Auto Sleeper Kingham van a good interior clean we have recognised that the window curtains need a good wash.
Has anyone put these through the usual washing machine process and if so what temperture have you set. I am worried that the lining may shrink (if not the curtains them selves) and could the plastic studs that clip into the curtain rail become brittle.
Or do you have to send the job lot to be dry cleaned...your advice is most welcome. thanks

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I have taken all our curtains down and washed them on a low het hand wash setting, I was lucky that I had tie backs though tried one of those first.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Good afternoon - Having decided to give our Auto Sleeper Kingham van a good interior clean we have recognised that the window curtains need a good wash.
Has anyone put these through the usual washing machine process and if so what temperture have you set. I am worried that the lining may shrink (if not the curtains them selves) and could the plastic studs that clip into the curtain rail become brittle.
Or do you have to send the job lot to be dry cleaned...your advice is most welcome. thanks
I put our 2002 Autosleeper curtains through washing machine on delicates 40° and they came out like new. I did remove the little hooks from them first. The most fiddly job was feeding the plastic sliders off, and back on, the rail.

scotzsue has a good idea of trying the tie backs first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Do you know what fabric they’re made from? Take a look to see if there is a fabric care label on the reverse of the curtain or behind the lining.

I have machine washed some dry clean only fabrics using the cold hand wash cycle but not curtains. I think you may have an issue with there being two layers of fabric of different types.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I’ve washed the curtains from our Hymer, did them on a low delicate setting and air dried them-not in a dryer!
The plastic clips on ours come off, but I would think one careful wash wouldn’t upset the clips, just don’t loose any!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Use a cold or 20 deg short cycle with washing liquid. Then lay out to dry pulling the fabric straight and smoothing out as you lay it out. You could put them in a wash bag to protect the plastic clips

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Someone has previously washed the curtains in our Kon-tiki & they have shrunk, but ours uses the plastic popper tape which is now 24yrs old & there's no sign of things going brittle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back