Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Currently camped on omaha beach at a respectable 30 hero’s a night with EHU. Been told by another UK traveller that arromanche municipal charging 70 a night . Anyone there today or at the aire that can confirm what the situation is like ?

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Currently camped on omaha beach at a respectable 30 hero’s a night with EHU. Been told by another UK traveller that arromanche municipal charging 70 a night . Anyone there today or at the aire that can confirm what the situation is like ?
At €1.17 to £1 they are hero’s to me ;-)

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
When i spoke with someone i know there he said the prices in the aire should not be increased. The campsite have put their prices up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Was on the Arromance aire in the town a few nights ago. 11 euros a night. The machine is a bit difficult to navigate around (you have to opt for the 23hrs 59mins option). Also water dispenser didn’t work (2E) and there was no toilet rinse or flush. But convenient for the museum. There is another one up on the cliffs which may be better (but windier).

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
Don’t know if you will be allowed into Arromanche on D day itself, the last big event there we were turned away by gendarmes who said it was because Macron was visiting

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Don’t know if you will be allowed into Arromanche on D day itself, the last big event there we were turned away by gendarmes who said it was because Macron was visiting
Was that the 70th as you needed a pass to enter?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Was on the Arromance aire in the town a few nights ago. 11 euros a night. The machine is a bit difficult to navigate around (you have to opt for the 23hrs 59mins option). Also water dispenser didn’t work (2E) and there was no toilet rinse or flush. But convenient for the museum. There is another one up on the cliffs which may be better (but windier).

If you find that the black waste water doesn't work (for any reason), do what the FLT French do. Rinse the cassette with grey water before dumping that.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
It will be the same for this year

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Heads up to anyone thinking of heading to the d-day commemoration and looking for a place to stay ,we changed our plans and left Brittany today and drove to Port en Bessin (Ouistreham in ˋthe Longest Day´) on the aire (€10.30) there are still places here ,we’re the only Brits , mainly Dutch and Germans!!! Loads of WW2 vehicles travelling up and down the port road and loads parked up ,crossing the road you’ve got a 50-50 chance of being knocked down by a Willys Jeep! Well worth the stay.

Anyone interested ignore the (very) fat French man who lives next door to the entrance I think he has a beef with the aire and tells everyone it’s full ,I’ve seen him turn a few vans away even though there are places ,we walked in to check spaces after he told us “ it’s full” to find 15+places free.

Apr 4, 2020
North west Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We are at present up on the hill, still a few spaces left in the field opposite the Aire

Reactions: f6c
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Amazing men , there is an audio book narrated by Al Murray that tells of The Sherwood Rangers who fought through El Alamein to Normandy to Germany . Its spellbinding in its description of their absolute pure bravery and commitment to the war against German / Axis fascism .
The barely believable facts are also they were a pre war TA Regiment and started the war on horseback and finished it in Sherman tanks . Gentlemen I doff my cap to you all , now and forever .

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
God bless the ones who perished on those beaches. Mostly young men who were proud to volunteer to fight for our country. They are the true heroes, as are the ones who survived they are true heroes too. Thank you so much :h:
The father of a mate of mine, long since gone, but loved to tell the tail of how he landed on the beaches on D Day.

He was about 20 years old, went down with the first wave from Southampton.
They got to within sight of France when they were told D-Day was postponed.
So they went back to Portsmouth, but were not allowed off the ship in case they let slip where they had been.
Next day, they set off again.
This time he got as far as landing on the beach at dawn on D-Day but he cut his hand on barbed wire, and was immediately turned around and sent back to the ship on the same Landing craft he had arrived on a few minutes earlier.
The ship then went back to Portsmouth and he had a couple of stitches put in his hand and told he was fighting fit.
So sent back to beaches for the third time and arrived late at night (still D-day)

He always complained that he only got one medal for landing on the beaches for D-Day when he should have had three!

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
The father of a mate of mine, long since gone, but loved to tell the tail of how he landed on the beaches on D Day.

He was about 20 years old, went down with the first wave from Southampton.
They got to within sight of France when they were told D-Day was postponed.
So they went back to Portsmouth, but were not allowed off the ship in case they let slip where they had been.
Next day, they set off again.
This time he got as far as landing on the beach at dawn on D-Day but he cut his hand on barbed wire, and was immediately turned around and sent back to the ship on the same Landing craft he had arrived on a few minutes earlier.
The ship then went back to Portsmouth and he had a couple of stitches put in his hand and told he was fighting fit.
So sent back to beaches for the third time and arrived late at night (still D-day)

He always complained that he only got one medal for landing on the beaches for D-Day when he should have had three!
I agree!!!

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Been here a week and most of Normandy is full of WWII vehicles. Going to a service of remembrance at Bayeux Cemetery tomorrow. The ‘Standing with Giants’ display at the recently opened British Memorial is very moving and well worth a visit.

IMG_4849.jpeg

IMG_4797.jpeg

IMG_4804.jpeg

IMG_4823.jpeg

IMG_4651.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are into dancing usealy a couple of dances on a good one Saturday night at Carentan, be warned swing music that we would normally dance Lindy to the French do the Cha cha, we ended up with an audience when we were dancing Lindy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back