Areas to visit on way to the south of France? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
We've only done one trip abroad so far, to Normandy. It was great!

I'm now thinking of about a 4-6 week trip from Calais to somewhere around the south of France. I have the Vosges and Alsace Lorraine on my 'must visit' list but could I have more suggestions please? Also, I'm not sure where to go more or less due south from Calais working our way down to the med on the E side or where to go down (or back up) diagonally.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
if youre happy to meander then Orouet sur Glane is a very moving place to visit.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
So many lovely places to see I don’t know where to start. It much depends on the sort of thing you like to do, laze in the sun by the sea or lake, walk, cycle or tour towns and cities. We’re all different.
We will be off within the next couple of weeks, also heading to the south of France.
Depending on weather we will either trundle, spending a couple of days here and there on the way down, or dash if the weather is poor.
We will probably stop at La Mailleray-sur-Seine for a day or two, then across to the Loire, down towards Clermont Ferrand then down the A75 to Gruissan, near Narbonne.
There are some lovely old villages off the A75, all with aires. Smashing scenery as you drive over the hills but cold this time of year, it’s very high.
Wherever you go, don’t over plan, just enjoy.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gerrysw

Free Member
Feb 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2000
We've only done one trip abroad so far, to Normandy. It was great!

I'm now thinking of about a 4-6 week trip from Calais to somewhere around the south of France. I have the Vosges and Alsace Lorraine on my 'must visit' list but could I have more suggestions please? Also, I'm not sure where to go more or less due south from Calais working our way down to the med on the E side or where to go down (or back up) diagonally.

Gerrysw

Free Member
Feb 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2000
The city of Aix en Provence is well worth a visit and has a campsite within walking distance of the city

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you are going to visit the Vosges and Alsace why not travel down the Switzerland side of France across the med to Carcassonne across the Pyrenees to the Basque country then back up to the UK. We did a similar route. Alsace is great and I would say a definite yes!. The route I suggested could cover quite a few wine areas!!!

Reactions: DBK
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Long article in the Daily Telegraph about the Correze departement. It maybe a Premium article but I read it without a sub. Strangely didn't mention our beautiful village but perhaps that's a benefit.

Correze

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
If you are going to visit the Vosges and Alsace why not travel down the Switzerland side of France across the med to Carcassonne across the Pyrenees to the Basque country then back up to the UK. We did a similar route. Alsace is great and I would say a definite yes!. The route I suggested could cover quite a few wine areas!!!
How much time did this take you ?

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Bandol, Port Grimaud and saint Maxime are lovely places to visit. You can catch a small foot ferry from Port Grimaud to Saint Tropez, which is well worth a visit to ?

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'm not going to over plan but I'm enjoying searching on the places you've all mentioned to get a rough route idea.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Here's a first cut of my route incorporating most of your ideas.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I'm really looking forward to walking there. We were originally going to go in Feb but I think it would still have been too cold then. Do you have any favorite walks?

Massif Central beautiful area with lovely fairly easy ridge walks.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Wine areas are a bit lost on us as we don't drink, Thanks for the Carcassonne idea. I think I have about 2-3 trips here, I've only rough plotted it and using just straight lines it's up to 1500 miles before any meandering!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Wine areas are a bit lost on us as we don't drink, Thanks for the Carcassonne idea. I think I have about 2-3 trips here, I've only rough plotted it and using just straight lines it's up to 1500 miles before any meandering!
Yes we did loads of miles in just short of 3 weeks I seem to remember 2500

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm really looking forward to walking there. We were originally going to go in Feb but I think it would still have been too cold then. Do you have any favorite walks?
Le Lioran to Puy Mary about 10/12 mile round trip (I think) mostly on ridges.
Nice parking area here 45.088256,2.739061, you can start the walk from here.
There is a water pump by the bridge over the stream if you need to dump there is a borne by the station in Murat.

Reactions: DBK

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
>Puy du Fou

Thanks for this, something quite different!

I agree, it is a kind of intelligent Disneyland without the rides and incessant music. Set piece displays including a Viking raid with longboat on a river by a village, Roman arena with four horse chariots racing around, amazing how far the horses have to lean to make the turns, huge display of birds of prey in a mock grecco ruin. Plenty of parking although perhaps a bit close. I suggest park a distance from the van next to you then sit on chairs to the other side until the next van has parked up. I liked the eay you had to hunt out food outlets rather than having everywhere.
Also suggest the Dune du Pilat to the SW of Bordeaux, Europe's largest sand dune.
Google them both.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
So many lovely places to see I don’t know where to start. It much depends on the sort of thing you like to do, laze in the sun by the sea or lake, walk, cycle or tour towns and cities. We’re all different.
We will be off within the next couple of weeks, also heading to the south of France.
Depending on weather we will either trundle, spending a couple of days here and there on the way down, or dash if the weather is poor.
We will probably stop at La Mailleray-sur-Seine for a day or two, then across to the Loire, down towards Clermont Ferrand then down the A75 to Gruissan, near Narbonne.
There are some lovely old villages off the A75, all with aires. Smashing scenery as you drive over the hills but cold this time of year, it’s very high.
Wherever you go, don’t over plan, just enjoy.

Richard.
We are probably off to France in a couple of weeks or so and we usually stop at La Mailleraye. May be going Via the A75 if the weather forecast looks good, and end up in Aire de Quatre Vents in Gruissan. If it is too cold we may hop over the border and into Spain a bit. So may bump into you sometime.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We are probably off to France in a couple of weeks or so and we usually stop at La Mailleraye. May be going Via the A75 if the weather forecast looks good, and end up in Aire de Quatre Vents in Gruissan. If it is too cold we may hop over the border and into Spain a bit. So may bump into you sometime.
See you there peterc10. (y)
I see another mini meet coming on.
We have decided we will leave next Thursday so will probably be at de Quatre Vents before you. We usually stay there for quite a while.
Really looking forward to some sun and warmth and getting out and about on the bike. :cool:
There are rumours that Robert Clark may also be heading that way too.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back