Are there really limits on EU alcohol? (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2016
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We're going to Italy next month and we're in a co-op group that makes wine. I'd assumed that the 18 litres limit on wine imported to the UK would apply; a shame as we have a few hundred litres in our cellar there. Gov.uk says:

How much you can bring depends on the type of alcohol. You can bring in:
beer - 42 litres
wine (not sparkling) - 18 litres
You can also bring in either:
spirits and other liquors over 22% alcohol - 4 litres
fortified wine (for example port, sherry), sparkling wine and alcoholic drinks up to 22% alcohol - 9 litres

My wife pointed out to me that the same page also says:

You do not need to pay any tax or duties on personal goods you bring into Great Britain as long as they are within your personal allowances.
If the goods are over your allowances you will need to:
declare then
pay any customs duty due
pay any import VAT due

When you declare your goods you need to declare each item you bought. When you declare your items, you may not need to pay customs duty on items where all the following are true:
they were grown or made in the EU using only EU ingredients or materials
you bought them in the EU
you are bringing them in from an EU country

If these are true, you can claim a zero rate of customs duty for each item. You must:
have evidence these are true for each item you claim these rates for
be able to show this evidence if asked by a Border Force officer

If the total value of all the items you declare is less than £1,000 the evidence for each item can be:
a label or packaging showing it was grown or made in the EU
evidence it was hand-made or grown in the EU (for example, a document or written note from the person or business you bought it from)

This seems to say only VAT would be due (no problem as the wine costs me about 50 cents a litre.). The same is true though surely of commercially made wines and spirits where it's the duty that's a killer rather than VAT.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I don't believe that 'Personal Goods' refers to wine, beer and spirits.
I believe that those items are goods other than that.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
There is no limit to the amount of wine you can bring in, but you will pay duty on every litre over the first 18 litres.

Many years ago I bought in 700 litres of wine, at the time we expected to pay about £2 per litre in duty (circa £1,400). However the 12 year old junior trainee customs officer must have missed a zero on the calculator and we ended up paying £140 !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
"You do not need to pay any tax or duties on personal goods you bring into Great Britain as long as they are within your personal allowances.
If the goods are over your allowances you will need to: declare then pay any customs duty due"

As Emmit points out - there are individual personal allowances (for alcohol, tobacco etc)Ano so you have to stay within each personal allowance - or pay the tax. The last time I looked it was about £2.70 per 75 cl bottle. That's nearly £18 for a wine-box - which may have only cost £8 to buy in Portugal. Yet another Brexit dividend - to HM Treasury.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There is no limit to the amount of wine you can bring in, but you will pay duty on every litre over the first 18 litres.

Many years ago I bought in 700 litres of wine, at the time we expected to pay about £2 per litre in duty (circa £1,400). However the 12 year old junior trainee customs officer must have missed a zero on the calculator and we ended up paying £140 !

I've got even worse news.

There is a facility with Customs and Excise to pay duty in advance for the importation of drink.

On that page it makes it clear that, if you come into the country having paid duty, one doesn't get
the duty free allowance. One has to pay duty on all the alcohol brought in.

Happy to be proved wrong.

PS. The duty on wine came to about £19.50 on a 5 Lts box (plus of course the initial purchase)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Going the other way you are only allowed 4.5 L wine per person into Norway tax free. Or it might only be total - period?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
So , I am interested in personal goods ( not Drink or tobacco ) am I right in thinking the limit is £ 1000 and obviously can produce receipts , with this you haven’t got to pay any vat / taxes?

Oct 27, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
2021 Carado V132 LHD
Exp
since 2005
"You do not need to pay any tax or duties on personal goods you bring into Great Britain as long as they are within your personal allowances.
If the goods are over your allowances you will need to: declare then pay any customs duty due"

As Emmit points out - there are individual personal allowances (for alcohol, tobacco etc)Ano so you have to stay within each personal allowance - or pay the tax. The last time I looked it was about £2.70 per 75 cl bottle. That's nearly £18 for a wine-box - which may have only cost £8 to buy in Portugal. Yet another Brexit dividend - to HM Treasury.
but if you read the rest of the OP's quote, the regulation states:
"
When you declare your goods you need to declare each item you bought. When you declare your items, you may not need to pay customs duty on items where all the following are true:
they were grown or made in the EU using only EU ingredients or materials
you bought them in the EU
you are bringing them in from an EU country
If these are true, you can claim a zero rate of customs duty"

so if it's EU wine and labelled as such then zero rate duty applies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back