Are the UK being targeted and bullied. 🤔 (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I have read many times on various forums about being targeted bullied, last week near our apartment two policeman are looking round a UK registered car, Janie looks on the Gov site yes no mot or tax for over 2 years, and looking at the history under 3000miles a year, not alot to visit the UK and back and used for a year, and the other non surprise was it said grey and was green. 🙄
We smiled and thought about time. 👍

So today on our local group, the UK cars are being targeted apparently No all non Spanish car are being stopped checked fined impounded, here are a few posts and not suprised the thread was closed and as a few said its scaremongering 😉 but only until your caught. 😁 Bob.

Screenshot_20210202-232210_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210202-232410_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210202-232650_Facebook.jpg

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I wouldn’t say targeted as such but I do get stoped a lot. I carry everything necessary with me and don’t speed. I don’t give them a chance at all. I run front cam and obey the rules.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
As I’ve posted before I here and elsewhere. I have been stopped more times than I can remember in Spain In hire cars, UK Registered motorhome, van and Car.

I have never had a problem with the police or guardia when I have been stopped. I am glad they do so.

mid September 2016 I was stopped in our UK registers car in Javea, just after the big fire.

The police asked for my documents?. We didn’t have them. Because for so odd reason, my lovely wife had put the car documents in the motorhome and then moved them into the villa 🤷‍♂️.

They asked for my Passport? “my wife has put them in the safe, in our Casa”

Okay, driving license?

I produced my old paper driving license. It, in the words of my son-in-law resembled an ancient Egyptian document unearthed from a pyramid.

NIE? Was the next question.

No, but I do have a photograph of my passport I informed them.

So, I had

No v5
No MOT
No insurance papers
No Passport
No Beam Benders (don’t ask)
No alcohol as I don’t drink and

I did offer to go and get the documents...

And a driving license that one police officer described as No good.

Just a photo of my passport.

Where is your house ? I was asked. My reply was , Pinomar. Which was one of the hardest hit areas of the massive Fire.

They could check my Insurance as the car is insured in Spain and is on the insurer database. They could check the UK MOT and the Fact it was taxed.

Not sure if they felt sorry for me as to the vacinty of our house . But, polite warning and let go.

I was, polite, Cooperative, spoke a little Spanish and was sober.

I have applied a different UK car to be plated Spanish. I am hoping it will make things easier !

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Only yesterday I was reading a Facebook page (yes I know!!!) A guy said, out of interest whilst they were in Portugal, they checked out, on an app, some of the Brit registered vehicles they saw. The " best" they found was an old motorhome driving in Albufeira that was last MOT'd and taxed in 2012.

The police are going to have a field day from April 🙄

Deleted User
Only yesterday I was reading a Facebook page (yes I know!!!) A guy said, out of interest whilst they were in Portugal, they checked out, on an app, some of the Brit registered vehicles they saw. The " best" they found was an old motorhome driving in Albufeira that was last MOT'd and taxed in 2012.

The police are going to have a field day from April 🙄
What happens in April?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
What happens in April?
April fools :LOL:

If you haven't got a residency card, and no stamp on your passport, then your be the April fool. 😁
There are people here that think it they don't leave Spain, no one will take any notice of them. 😁 Bob.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Surely if you live there it's best to have a spanish registered car.But as others say if legal what's the problem.

It is the law, but many don't, it's not just British our European partners are as bad, we have Dutch above us, drive a Spanish car, has two apartments but not resident, when it was mentioned once she said ' but I would loose my benefits from Holland ' last lockdown she was locked out, she also has property in Switzerland. 🙄
Some people want their bread buttered both sides. 😀 Bob.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I would think its unsurprising that local police anywhere would be taking a interest in vehicles with foreign plates just now
There's been various travel restrictions on the go for nearly a year
I'm sure most are legal but some choose to take the pea

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As long as you are legal its not a problem is it?
No
Surely if you live there it's best to have a spanish registered car.But as others say if legal what's the problem.
if resident you can't have anything else.
It is the law, but many don't, it's not just British our European partners are as bad, we have Dutch above us, drive a Spanish car, has two apartments but not resident, when it was mentioned once she said ' but I would loose my benefits from Holland ' last lockdown she was locked out, she also has property in Switzerland. 🙄
Some people want their bread buttered both sides. 😀 Bob.
I know some germans like that here.retired ,been here longer than I have yet not resident.

Deleted User
I see one comment said the vehicle was SORN,,You can only SORN a vehicle if its in the UK,,,If its not in UK and not taxed it needs to be shown as Exported,,BUSBY.
It may not be officially allowed or legal but it is easily possible to sorn a vehicle while abroad, I know of at least half a dozen sorned vehicles within 200 yards of where I am now in Portugal, one was last MOT'd in 2015!

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Got my good news this afternoon.

One of my cars I took to Spain has now been registered by my German agent in Alicante.

luckily, as we were able to prove the car was in Spain before 31st December (The ITV was carried out in December 2020).

We were able to avoid the import taxation that will now apply to cars imported by us Brits.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
There’s one guy near us, been here over thirty years and still drives uk registered vehicles, a different one each year or so. Not sure what he will do now, he must have become a resident and if so should not be driving a uk registered car. He’d be the first one to moan if he got pulled. Also he should have a Portuguese driving licence. Love to be a fly on the wall if he is stopped.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
People get away with it when they can. I never forget there was an elderly gentleman when I had an office in Hatton Garden, who always had an equally elderly Volvo Estate. Never taxed or insured, and when it was clamped or towed, just walked away and purchased another one.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It may not be officially allowed or legal but it is easily possible to sorn a vehicle while abroad, I know of at least half a dozen sorned vehicles within 200 yards of where I am now in Portugal, one was last MOT'd in 2015!
And, other than the offences committed in the country outside the UK should it be found not to have Tax in a foreign country, I have no knowledge of what penalty/punishment could be administered by DVLA should they discover a vehicle in those circumstances.
I appreciate that under very specific circs. (fire/flood) it is possible that a 'van esconced on a site might have to leave the site in a hurry, (and some 'vans have been known to be on a site for months, allowing for 90/180) However, I fail to see why one should pay VED on a UK Van that is off road in a foreign country.

Deleted User
And, other than the offences committed in the country outside the UK should it be found not to have Tax in a foreign country, I have no knowledge of what penalty/punishment could be administered by DVLA should they discover a vehicle in those circumstances.
I appreciate that under very specific circs. (fire/flood) it is possible that a 'van esconced on a site might have to leave the site in a hurry, (and some 'vans have been known to be on a site for months, allowing for 90/180) However, I fail to see why one should pay VED on a UK Van that is off road in a foreign country.

I agree but unfortunately there is no official/legal way to do that any more with automatic fines for not being taxed or sorned.
The only other alternative is to permanently export the vehicle which is not a viable option for many of these vehicles which will never be on the road again.
Many vehicles have become 'trapped' here due to covid restrictions resulting in the dilemma described by others. I don't know of anyone still using their vehicles having been sorned, no mot etc.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I suspect as U.K. citizens are no longer EU citizens they will feel a little more targeted by police, what may have been overlooked in the past may be fair game. If I were in Spain (or any other EU country I think I would make myself as invisible as possible by having a Spanish car and making sure I had all the correct documents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
All vehicles in Spain should be taxed, there is no sorn, if the mot runs out you cannot drive it, you have to get a recovery truck to take it to the testing station. 🙂

The trouble with foreign vehicles they have to catch people driving them, because most are not registered to them, people buy a car from Jim down the pub, Jim only knows you as mick from the pub, the change of ownership never happens and when he crashes or kills someone he does a runner, and buys another dodgy car. 🤨

In Spain you have to make sure the change of ownership is completed and it cost, because you are responsible for all fines that vehicle gets, road tax is paid by the person that owns the vehicle on the 1st of January 😉 even though you might not pay it until May 😁 if you wish you can sell the car with the insurance on it. 😁

Screenshot_20210204-085243_Chrome.jpg

My translation on this. 🤔
I had my UK smart car in my garage for 18 months. I have been driving it around illegally for 18 months, and now things have changed I need to get it legal. 😁

If he decided not to make it legal, he would need to transport it back to the UK , and many do, all this about booking a mot in the UK is b@//@€ks if they caught you again it would be crushed and another fine. 🤔 Bob.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As a lot have said it's up to people to obey the rules in the country they are in or face the consequeces. I think if we had a really large population of people from another country in the UK driving vehicles on foreign plates with potentially expired mot equivalent and tax there would be plenty of UK nationals asking for the police to carry out checks. The same with the car parked on the road after 18 months sorned and not Spanish registered if I did that in the UK and the police fined me it's just a fair cop.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
All vehicles in Spain should be taxed, there is no sorn, if the mot runs out you cannot drive it, you have to get a recovery truck to take it to the testing station. 🙂

The trouble with foreign vehicles they have to catch people driving them, because most are not registered to them, people buy a car from Jim down the pub, Jim only knows you as mick from the pub, the change of ownership never happens and when he crashes or kills someone he does a runner, and buys another dodgy car. 🤨

In Spain you have to make sure the change of ownership is completed and it cost, because you are responsible for all fines that vehicle gets, road tax is paid by the person that owns the vehicle on the 1st of January 😉 even though you might not pay it until May 😁 if you wish you can sell the car with the insurance on it. 😁

View attachment 462631

My translation on this. 🤔
I had my UK smart car in my garage for 18 months. I have been driving it around illegally for 18 months, and now things have changed I need to get it legal. 😁

If he decided not to make it legal, he would need to transport it back to the UK , and many do, all this about booking a mot in the UK is b@//@€ks if they caught you again it would be crushed and another fine. 🤔 Bob.
A question on that note.

I have been informed by the agent who imported our car that I will get. Reminder in the post from the town hall for the annual Tax. We don’t get post where we are in Pinomar.

So, he suggested go to the town hall to set up a standing order !.

I assume you get correos where you are ?.

As for ITV, I think I will just get the airport storage company to do it for us.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
) However, I fail to see why one should pay VED on a UK Van that is off road in a foreign country.
Because it has to be legal in the country of registration to be legal anywhere else.
All vehicles in Spain should be taxed, there is no sorn, if the mot runs out you cannot drive it, you have to get a recovery truck to take it to the testing station.
There is actually,Bob. It is called a "baja". There are different Types but any of them ,once paid for and in place, immediately cancel the itv(mot) . Most people don't bother as the cost of putting It on a Baja then , a grua to ITV it which if has to pass before you can pay again to take it off is usually far more than to keep paying the yearly road tax.
So, he suggested go to the town hall to set up a standing order !.
Here after the set date,March 1st, you can go to council ,give them Your registration number , they print a form and you pay af bank. Or set up A domicilio de pago at council and they take money at the end of the payment period at end of MAY or June.
I assume you get correos where you are ?.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back