Are the UK being targeted and bullied. 🤔 (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Because it has to be legal in the country of registration to be legal anywhere else.

There is actually,Bob. It is called a "baja". There are different Types but any of them ,once paid for and in place, immediately cancel the itv(mot) . Most people don't bother as the cost of putting It on a Baja then , a grua to ITV it which if has to pass before you can pay again to take it off is usually far more than to keep paying the yearly road tax.

Here after the set date,March 1st, you can go to council ,give them Your registration number , they print a form and you pay af bank. Or set up A domicilio de pago at council and they take money at the end of the payment period at end of MAY or June.
But, Is it illegal to be untaxed in Spain if it's parked on private land?

Right at the start of this post it was highlighted that the Police impounded a car for some infraction and the author stated that, as a result of this, he was taking it a private secure pound at another garage so that he didn't get his car taken again.

I appreciate that to SORN a vehicle when out of the country and used on a road (or other public place) is not on, but is it a case that the DVLA's stance on this is a 'One size fits all' and doesn't cover the circs. where someone does a SORN merely to save money when parked otherwise than in public. I know it's no money in the scheme of things but each to their own.
After all DVLA find it acceptable to take VED from two owners in the month when a vehicle is bought/sold. Is it a question of just being greedy. (in these circs.)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
On Portuguese cars the road tax is due on the "birthday" of the car-- EVERYYEAR until that car is officially scrapped with paperwork to prove it------- a friend took a pt reg car to holland and it broke down and he scrapped it there without evidence or notifying pt DVLA----- several years later the GNR came to his house and wanted to see the car----- he had to pay road tax for all the years since he scrapped it ---- plus a % for every year--- it cost him thousands of €-----' in Portugal they can empty your bank account without your knowledge---- we have heard of this being done (again a debt involving a car!!!)

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Went out in the car today, driving up a dual carriageway with a lump in the middle, one lane coned off, Gaurdia Civil checkpoint a quick look at us waved through, normally you just get one policeman stood at the end of it with his rifle, but today they also had a big spike mean looking chain 😉 more than a stinger (as seen on tv ) I think this would go in your tyres and jam everything up, don't know if this is a additional device because one policeman died and two injured yesterday in Asturias when a van hit them doing the same. 😲

Funny thing was we never saw one English car 🤔 tipped off or hiding. 😁 Bob.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
ut, Is it illegal to be untaxed in Spain if it's parked on private land?
If a spanish vehicle it is illegal to be untaxed unless 'bajaed'
If it was a foreign vehicle the guardia would look at it the same way. People from jersey stopped used to get fines for no mot as they do not have them in Jersey & the GC want to fine them additionally for lying to them.:laughing:
Right at the start of this post it was highlighted that the Police impounded a car for some infraction and the author stated that, as a result of this, he was taking it a private secure pound at another garage so that he didn't get his car taken again.
It doesn't really matter as if he has already been fined they would also have been given a specific time to replate the vehicle & usually the police do not allow the vehicle to leave there pound except on the grua fro the inspection & back & not recovered until either fully completed or at least the green P Plates are supplied & fitted.
If he doesn't replate they will just fine him again.
On Portuguese cars the road tax is due on the "birthday" of the car-- EVERYYEAR until that car is officially scrapped with paperwork to prove it------- a friend took a pt reg car to holland and it broke down and he scrapped it there without evidence or notifying pt DVLA----- several years later the GNR came to his house and wanted to see the car----- he had to pay road tax for all the years since he scrapped it ---- plus a % for every year--- it cost him thousands of €-----' in Portugal they can empty your bank account without your knowledge---- we have heard of this being done (again a debt involving a car!!!)
Yes the same here in spain & for the germans. The Germans actually have to return the number plates.One vehicle we bought here off a german he was panicking in case we didn't bive him the plates back.
Shame our police never adopted the Spanish approach on our Eastern European cousins in the UK.
Or the home grown UK ones as well.
"No requirement to have an mot to park on the road only tax and insurance"

I beg to differ.

Don't risk parking your pride and joy on a road without an MOT. It will end in tears.
Rule one. Offroad parking for multiple vehicles along with massive garage or room for one is my first requirement.What the house is like is of no interest.:laughing:
If I ever had to park in the road as we used to when young I¡d be using a car cover.(y)

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Screenshot_20210205-101857_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210205-101747_Photos.jpg

I think I might get a job here . 🤔 Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
In some countries it is difficult to stay legal if one wants to.

I and my MH are in Poland. The law says I must re-register it here. The government will not re-register RHD vehicles which are not 'cars', against a ECJ decision which they choose to ignore.

It is off the road but not SORNed because it is not in 'Great Britain' (The term used in the SORN rule, because it excludes NI, IoM, Jersey etc.). The MOT has expired but before it did I paid the VED. I cannot drive it to UK because I am not allowed out of the house under COVID restrictions as I am over 70 and all the other restrictions en route.

An answer to an appeal to the Minister was promised on Monday for this week, but here we are on Friday with no reply.

Fortunately in Poland I think nobody cares a damn and AFAIK nobody knows where the vehicle is(which is parked in the yard of our house, owned by Basia's son, a police firearms instructor ;) :giggle:) - they just shuffle paper, not look at vehicles, a bit like DVLA, unlike DVSA, who do know one end of a truck from the other and do understand weight plates etc.

But even DVSA were unhelpful about extending my MOT(already extended by them 6 months as all others) as they are only concerned about my driving direct to a pre-arranged MOT appointment once the MH hits UK soil. It is anybody's guess what a German or Dutch policeman would say about driving through their country without an MOT, although presumably they permit Jersey, IoM cars to do so. I am not sure they do on-the-spot fines unlike Spain and France.

Anyway our standard journey to Dunkirk is all M/Way except 1km at Bautzen and 4-5kms at Wachtendort, so little chance of being stopped.

For those who would raise the question of insurance, I laid out all the facts to AXA, the Underwriters - no use getting a Broker's opinion - they do not pay the claims, and they are happy to keep me fully covered both here and all the way to MOT in UK. Sensible decision by a named person, for which I thanked him directly.

Fun and games. As well as the Minister we have one more card up our sleeves, by which time we will be on
"Re-Registration IV" sequel, coming to a comedy cinema near you.

Keep laughing with Fred Carno's Army.

Geoff

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back