hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Many of us of a certain age will remember windscreens etc splattered with insects as soon as you drove out into the countryside. Since then we have killed of many insects and our screens remained clean! Well, we recently spend 9/10 days in SW Scotland. Travelled up the A1 to Scotch Corner and then turned left along the A66 to Penrith for our first overnight stop. By the time we got there our windscreen was plastered with insects. Not so many around Scotland, but on the return, south from Moffat to Carlisle and then along Hadrians Wall to the A1. By the time we reached the A1, again the screen was splattered. So I just wondered if may be insects were returning? Although it has been a real pain to get them off the van - windscreen, Sky roof (which I cant really reach), lights, number plate, even the front of the awning cassette, and the front to the step cassette!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our recent trip to Spain down through France we could hardly see out of the windscreen due to the amount of splattered insects at times. Not seen it like that for a few years.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just seen an article about this. Apparently scientists did a bug survey and found that there has not been a huge reduction. The reason we see fewer on our windscreens is a combination of higher traffic levels so the bugs are split between more vehicles and modern vehicles are more aerodynamic so the wind pushes them over the top. I tend to concur as I drove out last week and my windscreen was an absolute mess.

That all said, I am sure farmers increased use of pesticides can't be helping the population much.

May 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanna
Exp
I’m a newbie
That’s right farmers are using less pesticides and also leave buffer zones around the edges of fields to reduce the risk to non target insects.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've not seen any recovery in the UK yet. We've been leaving the back door open all day and not getting flies in the house. No issues with clearing insects in the van either. Very few windscreen splats on our travels. Did a 70km 'lost lanes' bike ride last weekend around the River Severn and saw very little wildlife. Reports of birds like bluetits losing chicks from starvation. I'm pretty concerned.

Last edited:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
noticed a lot more beautiful dragon flies around the lakes down here and thankfully very, very few wasps, this was last year, otherwise i didn't take much notice of anything else insectwise..
i will try and do better this year..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have more flys indoors this year than I remember for some time.
Three days fly's in our kitchen
PXL_20230528_074003093.jpg

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
Three days fly's in our kitchen
View attachment 760527

i'm sorry, but good grief, thats awful, but then you do live on a farm i understand so maybe expected in that circumstance..

i rarely get flies indoors, if one does come in it gets ordered back out again and that usually works apart from those buggers that buzz, buzz, buzz they're not so easy to shoo out..

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think the boxer shorts are attracting them ! :oops:

On a similar theme, this is the first year we haven't had any Swifts flying around the village, we used to get a dozen or so screeching around of an evening, swallow numbers are also down by a considerable amount. :(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

On a similar theme, this is the first year we haven't had any Swifts flying around the village, we used to get a dozen or so screeching around of an evening, swallow numbers are also down by a considerable amount. :(
We used to have half a dozen swallows in the barn, this last two years we haven't even see one fly over.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
i'm sorry, but good grief, thats awful, but then you do live on a farm i understand so maybe expected in that circumstance..

i rarely get flies indoors, if one does come in it gets ordered back out again and that usually works apart from those buggers that buzz, buzz, buzz they're not so easy to shoo out..

Can somebody explain to me that when a fly comes in through an open door it can’t find the open door to get out, had one earlier battering itself on a window when the open door is next to it !

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
This is the 2nd year I have seen so few pollinators in my garden. Hardly a single bee. Only 2 butterflies so far. Terrible.

There is an apple tree next door that overhangs my fence. 2 years ago I was plagued by windfall apples that I had to clear up. Last year that apple tree flowered but there was not even one apple on it. A total pollination failure. This year there are flowers again ... flowering nearly over ... no bees so I expect there will be no apples.

What on earth is going on?

I suspect that the local insectivorous wild birds and bats are having a hard time. Their numbers may well crash too.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

Thought the same, maybe they need washing before hanging out 🙄😇🤭

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Had a nasty experience with an insect just last week and it was pretty awful.
There was a really loud banging at the front door and when I opened it, the biggest beetle 🪲 you’ve ever seen, set about me. I mean this thing was a good 6 foot tall and with so many legs, there was no way I could even begin to defend myself and took quite a beating.

I ended up in A&E and when I spoke to the doctor, he told me there was a really nasty bug going around.

Now, where’s me coat :getmecoat:

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
There was a really loud banging at the front door and when I opened it, the biggest beetle 🪲 you’ve ever seen, set about me. I mean this thing was a good 6 foot tall and with so many legs, there was no way I could even begin to defend myself and took quite a beating.

I ended up in A&E and when I spoke to the doctor, he told me there was a really nasty bug going around.

:groan::groan::groan:

Groan Ugh GIF by YoungerTV

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

:groan: :groan: :groan: :groan:
Have you been at Old-Mo's joke books?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Loads and loads of birds round here and right next to farm land. All varieties of tits, goldfinches, blackbirds, Woodpeckers, owls, wrens, robins, sparrows and many more. Oh and effing pigeons.
The Swallows turn up regular as clockwork and spend ages hoovering up the flying insects and making babies.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
The early part of the year was colder and wetter which has a major impact on insects. Last year we had lots of bees earlier coinciding with flowers opening, this year all the flowers are late and the bees are only just appearing.

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Many of us of a certain age will remember windscreens etc splattered with insects as soon as you drove out into the countryside. Since then we have killed of many insects and our screens remained clean! Well, we recently spend 9/10 days in SW Scotland. Travelled up the A1 to Scotch Corner and then turned left along the A66 to Penrith for our first overnight stop. By the time we got there our windscreen was plastered with insects. Not so many around Scotland, but on the return, south from Moffat to Carlisle and then along Hadrians Wall to the A1. By the time we reached the A1, again the screen was splattered. So I just wondered if may be insects were returning? Although it has been a real pain to get them off the van - windscreen, Sky roof (which I cant really reach), lights, number plate, even the front of the awning cassette, and the front to the step cassette!!
I thought this was just me...drove 9hrs (inc there and back) and ending up depleting the whole insect population by half!
Mr Elsie was not best pleased de-insecting the windscreen and mirror guards....as soon as they splattered on, they baked on...no amount of windscreen wiper washing would remove them!

Reactions: hja
Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Exactly the same for us ,same journey, same places,had to clean the screen 3 times in 2 weeks🫨

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back