MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Worcestershire Council are so far up their own orifaces that
when I wrote to them to advise them of the running of the
'Easter at Avon Bank' Rally, the office that I wrote to sent my letter
back, advising me that I had sent the letter to the 'wrong' office and
instructing me to send it to another of their buildings.

It was, of course still within the umbrella of Worcestershire Council.

I cannot believe that they do not have an internal mailing system and
they were being 'Jobsworths to the highest level.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I would park it in the road then. Perfectly legally as A) it is over 40 years old & exempt from mot
B) it can be taxed online if needed at 0 cost as it is exempt for the same reason.
C) it can be insured as a classic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too

I suspect the owner (= Mike Perkins) has a strong chance of winning his Section 215 appeal based upon precedent High Court Judgements against corrupt or ultra vires "Function Creep" actions by Local Councils.

For example :-

Section 215 of the Act empowers a local planning authority to issue a notice to the owner of land or a property where it adversely affects the local area, and the notice can specify what remedial action is required. Sub-section 1 states,

If it appears to the local planning authority that the amenity of a part of their area, or of an adjoining area, is adversely affected by the condition of land in their area, they may serve on the owner and occupier of the land a notice under this section.
— Section 215(1), Town and Country Planning Act 1990

It was under this provision that a notice was served in 2015 by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea on Zipporah Lisle-Mainwaring, after the property developer had painted the front of her house in red-and-white candy cane stripes. However, following judicial review by the High Court of Justice, Mr Justice Gilbart ruled,

In my judgment, to allow a local planning authority (LPA) to use section 215 to deal with questions of aesthetics, as opposed to disrepair or dilapidation, falls outside the intention and spirit of the Planning Code...
— Mr Justice Gilbart

Thus overturning the notice, and allowing Lisle-Mainwaring to keep the stripes on her house.

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
I think this is probably about more than the motorhome the article says 'Council officers issued a tidy-up notice which required the vehicle and trailer to be removed from the driveway and the waste to be tidied up'
Maybe the whole garden/ drive area is full of stuff too hence photo of motorhome on the road and not his drive. :unsure:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I've got a real soft spot for the old transits. Our first family car was a 1967 Dormobile, but 14 years to get it that far is borderline lazy s0d- sounds like there's far more to the story then the transit ..

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
A little heavy handed but I do agree ....it's a shed and a good job it is MOT exempt as it looks like it would never pass
As I understand it, it may be MOT exempt but not exempt from being roadworthy. It is an eyesore so the council seem to have a case.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
I would park it in the road then. Perfectly legally as A) it is over 40 years old & exempt from mot
B) it can be taxed online if needed at 0 cost as it is exempt for the same reason.
C) it can be insured as a classic
Interesting our 1981 transit camper, I got re classified as a vehicle de collection here in france, still had to have a CT (french MOT) but only every 5 years, Also they test it taking into account the age, so it still has to pass, but only to the level that you would expect for a vehicle of that era, also if you sell it the CT still has to be less than 6 months old for the new owner to register it.

Personally I think it is ridiculous to allow a vehicle on the road without some sort of inspection, to ensure it is at least roadworthy.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I suspect, as ever, there is more to it. The article mentions trailer and waste too.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Maybe it done in the Rat Rod style?

Registered 1972 so @ 52 years old is it not MOT & Tax exempt, subject to "no ‘substantial changes’", so it has an MOT & Tax?
That does not stop it looking a total reck though.

The modern white/yellow reflective registration plates, really spoil the overall look.

For a better appreciation of the 14 year renovation:

It did have an MOT in 2010 than historic MOT check site lists as expired 2011.

Registered 1972 so @ 52 years old is it not MOT & Tax exempt, subject to "no ‘substantial changes’", so it has an MOT & Tax?

Historic (classic) vehicles: MOT and vehicle tax
Vehicles that do not need an MOT
You do not need to get an MOT if:
  • the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago
  • no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works
Vehicles exempt from vehicle tax
  • If your vehicle was built before 1 January 1984, you can stop paying vehicle tax from 1 April 2024.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Your pride and joy is yours and that is his, we do not know his financial position, whilst it does not pristine some attempt to clean the roof may help the appearance, if it was mot’d and taxed he could stand it in the road, if there are no covenants restricting him. I had a bad stroke and rebuilding an old classic car took me over 5 years but the task helped me. So I would not be so quick to condem without being in possession of the facts. I thought this forum was better than that.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
As the landliner was my first Motorhome I wish him the best on it’s restoration, admittedly it’s taking its time, but any fifty year plus restoration won’t happen overnight,
In there day they were excellent and had all the amenities that we have come to expect in the modern motorhome,

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
It appears to be parked on the road so presumably is taxed, mot'd and insured and if not then it can be seized and crushed.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
As the landliner was my first Motorhome I wish him the best on it’s restoration, admittedly it’s taking its time, but any fifty year plus restoration won’t happen overnight,
In there day they were excellent and had all the amenities that we have come to expect in the modern motorhome,
It does not look to have happened over 5,110 nights.
"Mike Perkins has spent 14 years restoring his 1972 Ford Transit Landliner CI.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
It appears to be parked on the road so presumably is taxed, mot'd and insured and if not then it can be seized and crushed.
As post #6
Insurance check site currently being upgraded & taking longer than expected.
A WAG would be it is insured otherwise it could simply towed as you say, thought I'd be interested to know by whom.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Maybe it done in the Rat Rod style?

The modern white/yellow reflective registration plates, really spoil the overall look.

For a better appreciation of the 14 year renovation:

It did have an MOT in 2010 than historic MOT check site lists as expired 2011.

Historic (classic) vehicles: MOT and vehicle tax
Vehicles that do not need an MOT
You do not need to get an MOT if:
  • the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago
  • no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works
Vehicles exempt from vehicle tax
  • If your vehicle was built before 1 January 1984, you can stop paying vehicle tax from 1 April 2024.
You might not require to pay a road fund licence but you do have to go online every year and tax it, there is of course no charge for a vehicle over 41 years old.
On my Historic motorcycles I still have them Mot'd and keep a log of any maintenance work I do.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh dear. I hope my council does not do that to me. I do add that mine is not that old YET.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back