Anyone thinking of going to Isle of Wight? (1 Viewer)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
As part of a trip to the Deep South of U.K. in early September, Swmbo and I decided to go to the Isle of Wight.

Using Red Funnel, there are some cracking deals around which combine ferry plus campsite - albeit you are fairly limited with the campsite choice.

We have got outbound ferry at 3pm, 5 nights camping on hardstanding with hook up, and 11.30 am ferry back all for £190 - including supplement for being longer than 6m and higher than 2.7m.

When I looked into the ferry, it was dearer for just the ferry.

Link is here https://www.redfunnel.co.uk/en/holi...DruymVgO3DG1OTnWNQ0HFGtxo5GwTrDAaAgBeEALw_wcB

Might be useful (y)

Deleted User
We did that a few years ago, stayed at Appuldurcombe, nice site, raptor displays at the house, bargain price with Red Funnel, will do again sometime(y)

It was even more of a bargain for us at the time as we were towing a large caravan.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We travelled there a few years ago when we were caravanning and used Red Funnel, it’s a great deal (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Isn't the Isle of Wight ferry route in the Guinness book of records as the most expensive ferry, mile for mile in the world?

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Even dearer than the ferry across the Manchester Ship Canal from Flixton to Irlam when I was but a kid.......that cost nearly all my pocket money!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
As part of a trip to the Deep South of U.K. in early September, Swmbo and I decided to go to the Isle of Wight.

Using Red Funnel, there are some cracking deals around which combine ferry plus campsite - albeit you are fairly limited with the campsite choice.

We have got outbound ferry at 3pm, 5 nights camping on hardstanding with hook up, and 11.30 am ferry back all for £190 - including supplement for being longer than 6m and higher than 2.7m.

When I looked into the ferry, it was dearer for just the ferry.

Link is here https://www.redfunnel.co.uk/en/holi...DruymVgO3DG1OTnWNQ0HFGtxo5GwTrDAaAgBeEALw_wcB

Might be useful (y)
Go there every year using Red Funnel deals.. Excellent value. In fact I will be there for a week at waverly Park 19th this month..

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
As I live on the island I always use Wightlink as I am a member of the Camping and Caravan Club and if you book through their site on their link to Wightlink you get at least 50% discount on motorhomes bigger than 5mts or higher than 2.4mts. The years subs more than pays for the savings on the first ferry you use

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I started my working life as an apprentice at Royles of Irlam.

JJ, you used to WORK :Eeek:, I thought following your TV staus you had been a man of liesure for many decades.

(ps for man of liesure read FLT if you prefer) :wink:

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Go there every year using Red Funnel deals.. Excellent value. In fact I will be there for a week at waverly Park 19th this month..
Yes, it’s Waverly that we booked on to too. We thought with the dog, having East Cowes on the doorstep could be useful for easily getting to cafes etc.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes, it’s Waverly that we booked on to too. We thought with the dog, having East Cowes on the doorstep could be useful for easily getting to cafes etc.
Great bus service as well. And West Cowes is a great place to visit before you start thinking of Osborne and further afield.. So much on the island especially if you move away from the seaside towns.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You used to be able to use Tesco vouchers for Wightlink - I'm sure we did that last time and stayed on a CL, worked out cheaper.

I'm sure someone resident on the IoW also said that if you travel at less sociable hours you get it much cheaper too.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You used to be able to use Tesco vouchers for Wightlink - I'm sure we did that last time and stayed on a CL, worked out cheaper.

I'm sure someone resident on the IoW also said that if you travel at less sociable hours you get it much cheaper too.
5 nights at Waverly Park. Full services. Restaurant Etc. Return crossing Southampton to East Cowes with 6.2m x 3m motorhome. In April 2018..cost me £159 total.. Great value from red funnel I reckon.

OP
OP
MillieMoocher

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Just in perspective, the stand alone ferry price (without voucher codes, club membership and so on) for the ferries we have booked is over £222!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back