Anyone know anything about the cold start idle device on a Peugeot Boxer 2.5 turbo? (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'm begging for a bit of advice folks.
Our elderly (1995) Peugeot Boxer starts first turn of the key anytime, but has began ticking over like a worn out lawnmower.
The glow plugs are perfect & once she's warmed up, she romps along just fine, the rough idle is only ever when the old girl is cold.

I've been informed that its the cold start idle valve is the problem, which would make sense.
I don't know where this device is, but looks like it might be cable operated, does anyone know know where I'd find it or how to test it?
I believe it looks like the one below.

Thanks in advance Funsters.
CS Device 2.jpg
CS Device 3.jpg
CS Idle.jpg

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I am guessing here!!!! but It may! be located on the air inlet side of the manifold somewhere as it is likely it will control the air supply.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I had a similar issue years ago ona 2.5di transit engine..you just knew by the sound of the engine something was not right on tickler.. it had a lucas rotary type injector pump and a spring had snapped in the device which helped cold starting..it was on the underside of the pump but can't remember much else about it..I remember buying a scrapped pump to get another spring..
Looked nothing like the bit in your photo so most probably a different set up..
Good luck with sorting yours..
Andy

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
It may be but its easier to add fuel than reduce air on a diesel.
Thanks pappajohn, that makes sense. The air inlet pipe from the air cleaner to the turbo was bust, so it was all disturbed & probably led to this issue.
I'll post a few photo's when I finally get to it.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Just came across this thread and wondered if you had sorted the problem. I have a 1996 TD too (see avatar). Mine had a similar tick over problem when cold. There is a device built into the fuel pump that increases the tick over speed when the engine is cold. Mine had failed and my mechanic fitted a cable override which operates with a knob on the dashboard like an old fashioned choke. I can take a photo of the cable to pump connection tomorrow if you still need it?

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Just came across this thread and wondered if you had sorted the problem. I have a 1996 TD too (see avatar). Mine had a similar tick over problem when cold. There is a device built into the fuel pump that increases the tick over speed when the engine is cold. Mine had failed and my mechanic fitted a cable override which operates with a knob on the dashboard like an old fashioned choke. I can take a photo of the cable to pump connection tomorrow if you still need it?
I've still not got round to fixing this issue. It settles down perfectly when she warms up, so its on the todo list for now.
A photo of the fix your mechanic has come up with would be mega appreciated.
I will take some photo's when I fix it, or even a video, but it is very difficult for me as I'm disabled, my head says I can fix things & my body has other idea's lol.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
The unit you are looking at is mounted on the cylinder head and operates like a thermostat ie wax inside, the temperature increases the cable moves a small lever on the top of the injection pump to increase fuel when cold, once warm the cable slackens off back to normal.
If you look at the top of the pump you will clearly see where the cable attaches.
If your not familiar with this sort of thing just nip to the local garage or fuel injection place it’s only a small job to change but the cable tension is key to it working correctly.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Post 9 - A mechanic fitted a choke cable instead of replacing the part - words fail me!
I know it works to a fashion but Heath Robinson - found the words.
This was done just a year or so ago. Its a 1996 boxer and the garage told me the part was no longer available. I was more than happy to get it fixed and it does work a treat. Now that I know Coastal motorhomes have the part I may order one.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Post 9 - A mechanic fitted a choke cable instead of replacing the part - words fail me!
It'd be nice to have your mechanical prowess or keyboard skills as you might have popped this info on before?

Itsmcb has taken the time & trouble to show me how his mechanic has solved an issue & for that I'm very grateful, but your post was at best rude & at worst derogatory & unnecessary.
All that was required here was helpful info which I believe is the point of this amazing forum.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Sadly out of stock at Coastal motorhomes.
Thanks mate, I really do appreciate your assistance & effort to help me here.
I've been a keen amateur mechanic for most of my life, but being disabled means that I can't experiment to find a repair in the way I used to, so info like this is invaluable to me, oh to be young again lol.

Kind regards...Robert.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks mate, I really do appreciate your assistance & effort to help me here.
I've been a keen amateur mechanic for most of my life, but being disabled means that I can't experiment to find a repair in the way I used to, so info like this is invaluable to me, oh to be young again lol.

Kind regards...Robert.
No probs, happy to help 👍. If you do manage to find the original part anywhere please let me know.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
He did better than me, I would of been stumped after the easy start. Haha

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Last edited:
OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
I do seem to remember these being fitted to early Ford Seirras with the 2.3 Peugeot engine fitted
I had two of those, very frugal, but very slow unless on the motorway, they'd cruise all day at 80mph doing 50mpg which was exactly what I needed at the time to travel from Scotland to Blandford & back every couple of weeks.
Didn't know about this cold start device though.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Sir I did not intend to be seen as rude to anyone on here. The mechanic has fitted a get you home fix, ok it has lasted a year, he should have sourced the part and returned to fit it.
I've just looked on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Idle...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Excellent find, I'm very grateful for your assistance, every day is a school day.

Just started the motorhome & she hadn't been kindled in weeks, started instantly (as ever) with a little bit of smoke which didn't last long.
Need to get my finger out, order the part & get it fitted now.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I had two of those, very frugal, but very slow unless on the motorway, they'd cruise all day at 80mph doing 50mpg which was exactly what I needed at the time to travel from Scotland to Blandford & back every couple of weeks.
Didn't know about this cold start device though.
Same engine as Peugeot 504 604 and 505 with slight differences from memory

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Same engine as Peugeot 504 604 and 505 with slight differences from memory
Yes I believe so. The 2.3 upwards had a dry liner block, whereas the original had a 2.1 wet liner engine which was problematic, that engine was fitted to the Granada Taxi specials, then the later Granada's had a 2.5litre turbo version of this engine.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Wasn’t this the time when Ford didn’t produce a Diesel engine and did a deal to buy them in from pegout

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
You need to check in the applications list that it actually fits your boxer as I don't think that it does?
I had a look at this and some of the part numbers do match the ones on the coastal motorhome site so it's possible that it will. The seller does suggest sending them the vin number to be certain. They are based in Lithuania I think. There may also be a substantial postage charge, the listing says free but further down carriage is extra to UK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back