Anyone got a Specialized Vado e-bike? (1 Viewer)

Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
Was looking at these today at our local dealers, the SL 4.0 and 5.0 models. Incredibly lightweight, but conversely fairly pricey.
They would be ideal for lifting into the motorhome's garage instead of fighting and struggling with the 25-ish Kg models.
So I was wondering if any members here had either of these?
And if so have they had any problems with the comparatively low power output of the motor? Specialized of course
say that the lighter weight of the bike offsets the reduction in available power and lower Wh rating of the battery.
We did have a short test ride today and they seemed pretty good. But it would be good to know if anyone who's had
one long term has found it to be worth the money and not under-powered.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just had a look and it’s very similar to the Ribble AL e hybrid, that comes in at 13.5kg or 14.5kg with panniers rack. The Ribble comes in at £2400 for the e model and like the Vado has an integrated battery with an extender available. We had a go on one last Saturday and very impressed with it.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
No experience of either bike but spez haven't put out a bad bike in 30 yes from the allez to the venge. Not a company that takes short cuts tbh.

Review here

Good electric bike but not an electric moped!
Not for those who don't want to pedal or are very heavy.

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I have a friend that rides a Vado that he uses as his ride to work (commutes into a city). I know he loves it and uses it on most fine days, perhaps around 2-3k km a year. Not sure of the power version he has but he's around 90kg. I know they have become quite popular here as people can carry they up their apartment block stairs due to their relative lightness. Think you can also get a range extender battery.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Not got a Specialized but have just ordered a His and Hers Canyon Roadlight, similar style of bike, looked into many options and these came out on top.....this style of bikes compliments our Carbon XC eMTB setup.....cannot have too many bikes I say....

OP
OP
X
Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
Just had a look and it’s very similar to the Ribble AL e hybrid, that comes in at 13.5kg or 14.5kg with panniers rack. The Ribble comes in at £2400 for the e model and like the Vado has an integrated battery with an extender available. We had a go on one last Saturday and very impressed with it.
Did you get a test ride in Dumfries? We live in the area so would be interested in checking them out. I thought the nearest dealer is in the Midlands.

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Yes I have one of the early Vados. It is much heavier than the latest model that you are contemplating. The issue with weight is not a huge problem as long as the battery is removed. My bike lives on the back of the PVC and always with the battery and saddle removed for extra security. I have done about 2000 miles. On really hilly terrain and gravel paths I get about 30 miles before the battery gets close to empty; I’m 74yrs old and very unfit and use max power a lot in those conditions. On flat roads I’m usually worn out before the battery and I have done over 50 miles easily on a couple of occasions. The bike appears well built but they do go through a chains and rear cassettes compared with normal mountain bikes. There was a history of motor failure on some very early bikes but I believe Specialized have resolved those all those issues. My bike had the early electronic display/control system which was always a bit dodgy, it finally failed and to give great credit to Specialized it was replaced free of charge under warranty even though the bike was 3 years old. Another issue for me is that if I get a punctutre I can’t remove the tyre from the rim due to arthritis in my thumbs and therefore I have heavy duty tyres and Slime puncture protection.
The bike is a delight to ride and has transformed the way I use the Motorhome.
If required I would probably replace it with the same bike, but my old mountain bike habits remain, I keep heading down dirt tracks and I keep looking at full suspension mountain bikes (I’m to old to die young!)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Did you get a test ride in Dumfries? We live in the area so would be interested in checking them out. I thought the nearest dealer is in the Midlands.
We stopped off at their head office/showroom at Clitheroe just outside Preston, you can order on line but I’d prefer to see the bike and have a go before buying.
They get really good reviews, have a look on YouTube at some.

Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Only just read this thread so my input is probably a bit late.
I just thought you might be interested in my insight into Specialized's customer care.
Ive had 2 Vados, I bought the first one second hand, it had only done 300km but was nearly half price!
A couple of years later I discovered a crack in the frame where the motor mounts. Specialized have a lifetime warranty on their frames but it only applies to the original purchaser.
I contacted them and after much whinging by me, they gave me a brand new Vado. Can't beat that in my eyes.
As for the bike itself, I can't really fault it, its rather heavy but thats the nature of the beast and its not at all noticeable while riding it.
My sister, brother in law and partner all have Vados and we all love em.

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
Also a bit late to the party but my wife and I have bought Vado SLs. Very pleased with them. Ideal for taking away on the MH.

Upgraded bike rack to Memo X-Star which is also brilliant

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our ordinary bikes are Specialized Rock Hoppers always been pleased with them though rarely used since we have had e-bikes.

Really like the idea of the light weight but the motor tourqe is only 35nm the latest Bosch are 80nm. Would also prefer suspension front forks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back