Anyone fitted an Air Horn to their van ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I want to replace the weedy horn on my Citroen Relay, it sounds like a wet fart on a tuesday :giggler:
I am thinking small truckers twin horn but where is the existing one fitted as I cannot find it?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I looked into this a few years back, but didnt do anything as I had more urgent things to sort out on the van. My research at the time concluded that I didnt need high amperage drawing air horns and a separate compressor to get a decent volume.
There are really loud twin horns available if you do a search for them, I would quite happy with a sound like my BMW has, its a nice loud but rounded twin horn sound, not that I use it much, as it tends to force the offenders to rather than apologise, give me the finger or worse.o_O
Happy Tooting.(y)
LES

Dandm

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 12, 2020
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron 46
Exp
Since 2019
I want to replace the weedy horn on my Citroen Relay, it sounds like a wet fart on a tuesday :giggler:
I am thinking small truckers twin horn but where is the existing one fitted as I cannot find it?
I am intrigued to know what wet farts sound like on any other day!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
A few months back I was thinking about fitting air horns on our van, but was put off after watching and reading reviews by the time delay between pressing the horn button and the time it takes for the air compressor motor to spin up and sound the horn, plus with us being British and not using the horn as much as other nations, through lack of use the fan element of the air compressor has a habit of sticking and failing to operate when you likely to most need it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Get one of these very simple to install no wiring. :giggle:

1674145887994.png

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
The horns on our Peugeot work vans are located behind the nearside ‘bumper’ trim panels. The last one I changed (admittedly on a Partner van) was a pig to get to. I replaced the twin horns on one of my bikes with Fiamm products and it now sounds like a Mac truck! Have a search for Fiamm or generic ‘Snail’ 12v horns.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
I think its under the plastic wheel arch on the nearside its a bit fiddly and don't forget the relay

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I think its under the plastic wheel arch on the nearside its a bit fiddly and don't forget the relay
The horns on our Peugeot work vans are located behind the nearside ‘bumper’ trim panels. The last one I changed (admittedly on a Partner van) was a pig to get to. I replaced the twin horns on one of my bikes with Fiamm products and it now sounds like a Mac truck! Have a search for Fiamm or generic ‘Snail’ 12v horns.

Ours is the driver's side, at the top of the inner wheel arch cover in the engine bay, I looked when I was checking out if there was space to fit air horns

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.

On my Boxer, it's a feeble high pitched toot. I won't use it out of sheer embarrassment. As has been suggested air-horns can have a delay in activation, but one day when I'm really bored I'm going to change it out to something that won't get laughed at. I too can't find the current one.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
On the last two Ducatos the horn has been on the offside in the area behind the light cluster.

I disconnected the original and fitted a Hella twin snail horn kit:-

HELLA 3AG 003 399-801 Signal Horn - B133 - 12V - 118dB(A) - Frequency Range: 300/500Hz - Loud Tone - Housing Colour: Red/Black - Flat Plug-in Connector - Kit - Quantity: 2 - £47.50p from Amazon​

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Why would you want one.. my horn gets used once a year by my MoT Tester..
IMV horn blasters are a very inconsiderate and impatiently "look at me " sort of driver.
If a pedestrian "should"attempt to step out in front of you then your "weedy wet fart" is more than enough..
Or are you the sort who picks up your work mate at 5.30 in the morning, sitting outside his house with your big, sorry, small truckers twin horns waking up the whole street..👍

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Well I am all for loud horns! There is no point to a horn if it cannot be heard all around you to alert people to danger and they may well be in a sealed car with ltd music playing!

The little "Peep" from the standard horn would be useless to warn someone joining from a slip road on a motorway or dual carriageway who was not paying attention to those with priority already on the road!

I am very anti the new police, ambulance and fire blue light horns as they are not a patch on the old two tone alternating horns. I watched an ambulance come up behind me and I could not hear its horn from inside my vehicle until it just behind me! I never understood why the old ones were changed. Probably some EU regulation!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Well I am all for loud horns! There is no point to a horn if it cannot be heard all around you to alert people to danger and they may well be in a sealed car with ltd music playing!

The little "Peep" from the standard horn would be useless to warn someone joining from a slip road on a motorway or dual carriageway who was not paying attention to those with priority already on the road!

I am very anti the new police, ambulance and fire blue light horns as they are not a patch on the old two tone alternating horns. I watched an ambulance come up behind me and I could not hear its horn from inside my vehicle until it just behind me! I never understood why the old ones were changed. Probably some EU regulation!
So I take it , from your above comments that anyone who gets in your way receives a jolly good blasting from your horn..
Just chill and adopt the proper defensive driving. Blasting horn does not achieve anything.
Yes I know its frustrating but hitting horn is IMV only a sign of a frustrated and therefore dangerous driver.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Why would you want one.. my horn gets used once a year by my MoT Tester..
IMV horn blasters are a very inconsiderate and impatiently "look at me " sort of driver.
If a pedestrian "should"attempt to step out in front of you then your "weedy wet fart" is more than enough..
Or are you the sort who picks up your work mate at 5.30 in the morning, sitting outside his house with your big, sorry, small truckers twin horns waking up the whole street..👍
Because I do, and no I am retired so would not be picking anybody up at stupid o’clock, I do know the rules around the use of the horn thanks.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
On the last two Ducatos the horn has been on the offside in the area behind the light cluster.

I disconnected the original and fitted a Hella twin snail horn kit:-

HELLA 3AG 003 399-801 Signal Horn - B133 - 12V - 118dB(A) - Frequency Range: 300/500Hz - Loud Tone - Housing Colour: Red/Black - Flat Plug-in Connector - Kit - Quantity: 2 - £47.50p from Amazon​

That will do me, doesn’t need to be a beast.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back