Anyone Else Missed this Junction? (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We've only just come back from a great weekend at the Morris Leisure site at Llanberis in Snowdonia.
We've been to a number of C&MC sites since the sites reopened in July and have never been so relaxed as we have been at Llanberis, the layout is such that you would hardly notice that there was a pandemic, no coloured tape blocking off toilets or other facilities. I've never felt so safe in a strange place since the lockdown.

On our way there we stopped off at Llangollan then continued along the A5 till you turn off at Capel Curig onto the A4086 for the remaining 11 miles to Llanberis, pretty straight forward. What could go wrong?

I looked at the sat nav, just over 7 miles to go, ETA 15 minutes. We relaxed, turned up the Proclaimers 500 miles and started singing along, at that I glanced at the sat nav and it said 23 miles, ETA 49 minutes :Eeek: :Eeek: then before we know it the road turns into a road barely wide enough for our van in places with many blind corners WTF. I glanced back at the sat nav and it told me we were on the A498 ...... but how? I was sure I never turned off the A4086. The road did get slightly wider after 6 or 7 miles, we were just glad we didn't meet anything wider than a car, apparently we were heading the scenic route to Caernarfon! I pulled over at the first opportunity to consult the road atlas. The A4086 continued straight on becoming the A498 without warning. I should have turned right at that point but missed the small sign not expecting to have to turn off! Until we got home and checked out Google maps I couldn't believe I got it so wrong:doh::clown:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
As you said in message, Llanberis is only affiliated to C&MC, it’s owned, as you say, by Morris

Their sites at Oxon Hall and Bridgnorth are lively as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
We've only just come back from a great weekend at the Morris Leisure site at Llanberis in Snowdonia.
We've been to a number of C&MC sites since the sites reopened in July and have never been so relaxed as we have been at Llanberis, the layout is such that you would hardly notice that there was a pandemic, no coloured tape blocking off toilets or other facilities. I've never felt so safe in a strange place since the lockdown.

On our way there we stopped off at Llangollan then continued along the A5 till you turn off at Capel Curig onto the A4086 for the remaining 11 miles to Llanberis, pretty straight forward. What could go wrong?

I looked at the sat nav, just over 7 miles to go, ETA 15 minutes. We relaxed, turned up the Proclaimers 500 miles and started singing along, at that I glanced at the sat nav and it said 23 miles, ETA 49 minutes :Eeek: :Eeek: then before we know it the road turns into a road barely wide enough for our van in places with many blind corners WTF. I glanced back at the sat nav and it told me we were on the A498 ...... but how? I was sure I never turned off the A4086. The road did get slightly wider after 6 or 7 miles, we were just glad we didn't meet anything wider than a car, apparently we were heading the scenic route to Caernarfon! I pulled over at the first opportunity to consult the road atlas. The A4086 continued straight on becoming the A498 without warning. I should have turned right at that point but missed the small sign not expecting to have to turn off! Until we got home and checked out Google maps I couldn't believe I got it so wrong:doh::clown:
Sounds like a normal satnav journey for me, Davey. :(.

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Nope, not had that problem and I`d travel to Llanberris from the same direction
Think we just relaxed too much as we were so close, hard of hearing so never heard the sat nag :whistle2:Won't do it again!!!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Guided by my brand new TomTom en route home from Dorset along the wide open and lovely, but rather 'samey' roads in the New Forest I was surprised to see, about 20 minutes apart, two farms with the same name. Especially odd I thought that they should both have a green John Deere tractor and trailer parked outside..................... :unsure:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Is your satnag one of the elderly models which takes a wee shovel of coal in the back to keep it working Davy? :unsure:
Should have gone to Specsavers mate!!!! :banghead:

Be thankful you didn't end up in a canal or on a railway line.....Well this was an open goal for some slagging. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Is your satnag one of the elderly models which takes a wee shovel of coal in the back to keep it working Davy? :unsure:
Should have gone to Specsavers mate!!!! :banghead:

Be thankful you didn't end up in a canal or on a railway line.....Well this was an open goal for some slagging. ::bigsmile:
Don't get me started, I'm ready to throw the sat nav away Robert, it's the Garmin Camper 600. Just lately it's been letting me down a lot, keep finding myself driving across fields or lakes just when I need it, then what's best, shortest or fastest route? Thinking of going back to my old Garmin Nuvi 2445 which I use in the car :whistle2:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I looked at the sat nav, just over 7 miles to go, ETA 15 minutes. We relaxed, turned up the Proclaimers 500 miles and started singing along, at that I glanced at the sat nav and it said 23 miles, ETA 49 minutes :Eeek: :Eeek: then before we know it the road turns into a road barely wide enough for our van in places with many blind corners WTF. I glanced back at the sat nav and it told me we were on the A498 ...... but how? I was sure I never turned off the A4086. The road did get slightly wider after 6 or 7 miles, we were just glad we didn't meet anything wider than a car, apparently we were heading the scenic route to Caernarfon! I pulled over at the first opportunity to consult the road atlas. The A4086 continued straight on becoming the A498 without warning. I should have turned right at that point but missed the small sign not expecting to have to turn off!

I know the area too well to miss that junction!

Generally, however, there's loads of TOTSOs all over the country. You can never rely on just going straight on to stay on the same 'A' road number.

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
I know the area too well to miss that junction!

Generally, however, there's loads of TOTSOs all over the country. You can never rely on just going straight on to stay on the same 'A' road number.
Thanks, thought I was losing my mind :rofl:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Guided by my brand new TomTom en route home from Dorset along the wide open and lovely, but rather 'samey' roads in the New Forest I was surprised to see, about 20 minutes apart, two farms with the same name. Especially odd I thought that they should both have a green John Deere tractor and trailer parked outside..................... :unsure:
having lived around the new forest all my life, we tend to just drive down roads based on local names or farms owned by such and such. It causes great fun every summer when people get lost up the myriad of country lanes. Especially if they break down and have to try and work out their location. I remember going to a call out with a family hopelessly lost, overheated car, kids and wife. They had been there an hour when we arrived and if left longer may have killed each other. They were about 50m from the main A31, but had not had the sense to send an adult to walk round the next bend to check

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
One of my colleagues arrived at work after a stressful day out and about trying to find some remote property to inspect. Said he had followed his satnav down this diminishing road / lane / track ... Next thing some bloke stood up in front of him dressed in full ghillie suit demanding to know what he was doing in the midst of a live firing exercise :whatthe:

It helps to have the audio directions on.
It's a SatNag. You get detuned to it.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have the Garmin Camper satnav and we’ve tried it on shortest and fastest route and it makes no difference, it still tries to take us down silly little roads. We’ve put in our correct height but put in length and width as though we’re a big van rather than a PVC but that makes no difference.

I’ve tried it on routes we know for fun, even down to Highlands End and it tries to take us down one road I didn’t even like going down in a car when I was a GP and had to visit a farm, I suppose I could ask them for a tow!
I check the route in advance but increasingly I use my Iphone with google maps, especially now that speed limits are on , you used to have another app running alongside but you don’t even have to do that anymore.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Small sign? unless it's been moved 😀

6EBA77DD-3CC1-4807-A74E-B50127711724.png

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Strange, you should have that issue with a Garmin too?. I had the Camper, and it regularly wanted to take me through tight villages, narrow roads et; despite there being a Bye-Pass!. It was "set" to LGV mode, but still would not play ball!. I swapped it out for a Tom-Tom, not because of that, It was too big for where I wanted it positioned.

I dont know if it`s still the fact, but most of the "mapping" is/was done as I understand it, By a Dutch company?, the same one that did mapping for Microsoft "Autoroute", and sold on then to Sat Nav providers, so the mapping is the same who-ever device you use?.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I have a human satnag called Robert, we only use one in an area strange to us or right at the end for the final destination.
I used to find places perfectly well without a satnag, I had my own way of writing down directions that meant I could check at a glance.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don't get me started, I'm ready to throw the sat nav away Robert, it's the Garmin Camper 600. Just lately it's been letting me down a lot, keep finding myself driving across fields or lakes just when I need it, then what's best, shortest or fastest route? Thinking of going back to my old Garmin Nuvi 2445 which I use in the car :whistle2:
Oh dear wee man!:confused:
You blame the bl**dy sat nav for using it's initiative! All it's fault, etc!
And there was you singing 500 miles and the good old very amenable sat nav was trying to meet your wishes and gets shouted at for doing so!:rolleyes:
Maybe blame where blame is due!:p;):giggle:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
it's not where the red car is going then?
Hopefully not. That's their driveway! It is confusing though.
The turning is at the brow of the rise.
Looks like the junction's changed a bit as well with a right turn lane now.
1599477772017.png

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Thanks, thought I was losing my mind :rofl:
Can't lose what you never had Davy!!! :unsure:

We have a Garmin Camper 760LM which I bought from an old boy on Gumtree for the princely sum of £30 which included postage. The bargains are out there, you just need to keep your eyes peeled, but I accept that we were very lucky to get this one.
When was the last time you updated the maps?
I rarely ever use satnavs, I'm lucky enough to have a brilliant memory for roads & if I've been there once, I remember it & an inbuilt compass, my mate calls me the Human Satnav lol.

Its a bloody good job I can use my memory for this stuff, cos I can go through to the kitchen & forget what I was there for, it gets worse, now I go through to the bloody loo & forget why I'm there?
Lets face it, there are usually only two choices in the loo, ohhh I have a migraine coming on!!!

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
How can you turn right over double white lines?

Highway Code Rule 129
Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back