Anyone after a new pressure cooker? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
First a bit of background:

My Mum decided she needed a Prestige pressure cooker seeing as her existing one is probably over 20 years old and the staining etc can't be got out no matter what (not to mention the domed bottom due to it being boiled dry, the seal going etc). She told my nephew her existing one was playing up so he was gonna order her one from somewhere but I managed to persuade him not to as she is VERY picky ... I know this only TOO well from past experience! Her existing one is a Prestige High Dome, one of the most basic, they do with a metal weight placed over the small inverted 'funnel' in the centre of the lid with no other 'facility' (ie no steam release lever) so in order to get the pressure down you have to put it under a running cold tap so not ideal but its what she's used to.

She was absolutely adamant that she wanted exactly the same one again and, whilst I didn't hold out much hope that I could get one, to my surprise the exact same model can still be bought ... at a price! However, as she wanted to cook a chicken hubby took round our pressure cooker so she has something to use until we can get a new one delivered for her - although mine isn't such a basic one, she's taken to it like a duck to water! The difference is mainly that mine has a way to release the pressure without having to give it a bath and therefore doesn't have to be carried across from the hob to the sink ... by this point I was wondering if I will ever see my pressure cooker again but she's said she'd like a new one similar to ie ... phew!

I scoured the web, Ebay etc and found that a seller on Ebay also has their own website - from them on Ebay the pressure cooker was £38.94 including postage, but by buying it via their own website, if I first signed up for the newsletter I could get a 10% discount, so it's costing £35.44 delivered.

Where to buy:

If anyone else is interested this is where I got it from - it's the Prestige Quick and Easy 6 litre:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
@Minxygirl have never had a pressure cooker but know my son loves his especially for chick peas, his home made humous is the best i have ever tasted. Lovely to hear some positive news about your mum too.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I was brought up with a pressure cooker! I think my Mum used to have one older than me at one point!!! I know some people are 'scared' of them but they're much easier to use now than the old models (like my Mum's old one).

I wouldn't be without one and before we went away over Christmas hubby decided to swap one we had in the camper with a new spare we had of the same make/style (the lid on the old one had a broken locking slide which, although it worked, fell off if he tipped the lid over). However for some stupid reason he just swapped the lids and not the whole thing and found out the first time he tried to use it that the new lid didn't work with the old base so didn't seal! :doh: Consequently we had to buy ourselves a new one whilst away. :RollEyes:

They are a very easy way to cook a chicken, gammon joint etc, as well as veg and nothing comes close to the lovely mince beef stew when it's made in them which takes 10 minutes ... I'm drooling already! :tounge:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I was brought up with a pressure cooker! I think my Mum used to have one older than me at one point!!! I know some people are 'scared' of them but they're much easier to use now than the old models (like my Mum's old one).

That brought back memories. I hate it when my Mum uses hers as she is so deaf she doesn't know when it's at pressure and the noise can be heard from outside the house.

We have the electric multicooker (actually have two but one is at out son's house!) and I love it. Potatoes in the base of the pan and sausage on the rack then when it's done all the fat from the sausage has gone over the potatoes ....... take out the sausage, drain the spuds and mash then serve. Yummy!!!!!!!! And no hard or tough skins on the sausage.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That brought back memories. I hate it when my Mum uses hers as she is so deaf she doesn't know when it's at pressure and the noise can be heard from outside the house.
What pressure cooker has your Mum got? The newer ones have 'rise/fall' indicator so you can see when the pressure is up and adjust accordingly.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What pressure cooker has your Mum got? The newer ones have 'rise/fall' indicator so you can see when the pressure is up and adjust accordingly.

She has four ....... three old Prestige models that must be as old as I am and a new one that she refuses to use as it "never gets up to pressure" (that's the one with the rise and fall). I would buy her an electric automatic model but it would be too complex for her - she only uses the microwave with the button that gives 30 seconds on full power.

When I used one of mine at her house she said it wasn't up to pressure and needed turning up as she couldn't hear it hissing.

She is almost blind with cataracts - removal operation cancelled :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back