Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I did a very embarrassing one of those in Navarette Northern Spain.

By the end of my sweaty ordeal I had quite an audience of interested observers.:doh:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
There is always an Emmet Dickhead that ignores the signs, and decides that those signs are not there for him/her to abide by. To get where he/she is in the Picture (Mevi) he/she has driven by 2 carparks that would accomodate his/her M/H, but no no! this braindead mini Einstein knows better, he/she wants to be parked on the quay, doesn't want to walk a few hundred meters.
Unfortuneately there are always people like him/her every week, the signs do not apply to him/her.

The pillocks, even with Caravans in tow, do this nearly every week in the season. I would not even take my Suzuki down there!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
There is always an Emmet Dickhead that ignores the signs, and decides that those signs are not there for him/her to abide by. To get where he/she is in the Picture he/she has driven by 2 carparks that would accomodate his/her M/H, but no no! this braindead mini Einstein knows better, he/she wants to be parked on the quay, doesn't want to walk a few hundred meters.
Unfortuneately there are always people like him/her every week, the signs do not apply to him/her.

The pillocks, even with Caravans in tow, do this nearly every week in the season.
I almost took offence you meant my Dad then...

Then I saw you were Cornwall and we see this all the time :)
(plus a little touchy as he passed recently)

Think my fav has to be the back road to Tintagel. Always a MH stuck in Summer :)
Or the road to the car park at the Lizard. I barely get down it :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Devon and Cornwall are on my radar for Spring, now I know Mevagissey my mother lived there for a number of years and I know the large carparks on the way in and the signs warning of unsuitability to motorhomes and caravans.
My question though is are all the towns similarly signposted where the streets are too narrow ?
Can I rely on local signs to warn or do I need to research in advance ?

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
The pillocks, even with Caravans in tow, do this nearly every week in the season. I would not even take my Suzuki down there!

Probably panicked part way down, and hoped that there would be a 'get out' just around the next bend.
I guarantee the air would've been very blue and sweaty in that cab!
I've driven down that very street...on my scooter.

Allen

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
we can all make mistakes, thats how accidents happen. that does not necessarily make someone selfish or inadequate.
True, but instead of pulling out of the attempt they carried on when it was obviously far too narrow right from the start.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
There is always an Emmet Dickhead that ignores the signs, and decides that those signs are not there for him/her to abide by. To get where he/she is in the Picture (Mevi) he/she has driven by 2 carparks that would accomodate his/her M/H, but no no! this braindead mini Einstein knows better, he/she wants to be parked on the quay, doesn't want to walk a few hundred meters.

Funnily enough My nephew several years ago almost did the same, he said there were so many folk just walking in the middle of the road, he was so busy watching them he missed the signs, just past the second car park & before the left hand'er he heard the e mortal words " How far does this pr*"k think he going to get" :rofl: with that he backed up to the car-park entrance & avoided to much embarrassment :p

OP
OP
Captain Pants

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982

In fairness to him, he’s approaching from Portmellon/ Gorran so he wouldn’t have the option of the 2 main car parks, but I’m fairly sure there’s plenty of warning signs that side of the village. Sometimes even the locals get it wrong!
8EE37FCF-936E-45B9-B491-FDBF4BDB83A8.jpeg

OP
OP
Captain Pants

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Devon and Cornwall are on my radar for Spring, now I know Mevagissey my mother lived there for a number of years and I know the large carparks on the way in and the signs warning of unsuitability to motorhomes and caravans.
My question though is are all the towns similarly signposted where the streets are too narrow ?
Can I rely on local signs to warn or do I need to research in advance ?
You should treat all Cornish harbour villages as potentially problematic - always take the signs seriously.
Lanes with high banks and grass up the middle usually end in tears as well!

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Done Cornwall tent camping as a kid so know the roads are narrow.
My old sat nav has tried to take us down some narrow lanes in places.
Hopefully the tomtom camper I’ve now got won’t.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Ours is a PVC and so thankful we only risk a fraction of the restricted width anxiety compared to what the full-size motorhomers must suffer.

My tactic, which you might think is cheating, is when we get to a tight bit is to park up and observe to see if white van man comes along and either goes down the road or comes up from the other side and if he does then even a 6'6" restriction will probably be ok for us. ?

Mark

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back