Anybody taxed their MH ‘Disability’ with a weight over 3500? (1 Viewer)

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
My wife has recently been awarded the higher components of PIP, and we have a MH with a weight of 4250. On Friday I went to the post office with the V5 and Certificate re free tax status. The V5 is in my name, the Certificate in my wife’s, same address. The lady serving initially told me I could not have ‘Disabled’ status on a MH, I told her I believed that it could. She then after a few minutes told me she she could not change the taxation class on her computer, and suggested I ring DVLA.
I went on the DVLA website and went on the ‘chat bot’ and eventually ended up messaging a ‘live’ person, she said it could be done and to return to the Post Office and try again. This I did today, with a different lady from Friday, same result, computer says no.
So my question is, has anybody recently managed to change their taxation class from PHGV to Disabled status with a similar weight to 4250?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do it online.
It sounds like you used our post office.
Stupid bint that owns the franchise is full of her own importance.... Nobody has a good word for her.

I also get the mobility part of PIP but wouldn't bother with the free tax, a free car for exchange of benefit or free tolls on some bridges.
Puts you under an obligation to the DWP/DVLA and the benifit can be withdrawn at any time meaning the free car has to be returned, the road tax has to be paid in future and the miserable saving on tolls comes to an end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
Do it online.
It sounds like you used our post office.
Stupid bint that owns the franchise is full of her own importance.... Nobody has a good word for here
I was told the only way to do it is via the PO, not even via paperwork.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Presumably you can only use on 1 vehicle? If so do you have another car? Is the tax on that not more than an over 3.5t motorhome?

OP
OP
Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
Presumably you can only use on 1 vehicle? If so do you have another car? Is the tax on that not more than an over 3.5t motorhome?
The tax on the car is £30, if I don’t end up taxing the MH I will use it on the car.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Our van was registered as disabled when we bought it. Gross weight of 5000kg.
We had to get this removed before I could tax it myself. All done at the local post office.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We bought a 5,6 ton one that was registered disabled and we got it changed back to PHGV at the post office as we could not tacit on line,
So your answer is yes you can.

OP
OP
Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
Our van was registered as disabled when we bought it. Gross weight of 5000kg.
We had to get this removed before I could tax it myself. All done at the local post office.
Thanks for info.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It's all on the DVLA website here:

This part of the website. Show it to the PO clerk.

RFL exemption.JPG

OP
OP
Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
OP
OP
Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
The DVLA article say if it's the first time it has been disability registered you MUST do it at a post office, not online!
Just literally reading the link and as you say Post Office only. 2 visits have got me nowhere so will try ringing DVLA. Stuck between a rock and a hard place....

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Just literally reading the link and as you say Post Office only. 2 visits have got me nowhere so will try ringing DVLA. Stuck between a rock and a hard place....
Print out the website detail and show it to the PO clerk.

EDIT.
Apologies, it is highly ambiguous as on another page on that website it says you must apply to DVLA by post. See the bottom lines on the pic below. What a shambles!

dvla disab.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
Quick update- Spent 30 mins chatting online to DVLA, who said the Post Office should be able to do it etc etc. Also gave me info that I can apply by post with a V10 form completed etc. This info differs from what the Post Office said yesterday. So tried one last time at the biggest PO in the town, still no joy. Fortunately they had a V10 form which I will send to DVLA along with all the other documentation. Frustrating but finally an end in sight. Thank you for your contribution.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Quick update- Spent 30 mins chatting online to DVLA, who said the Post Office should be able to do it etc etc. Also gave me info that I can apply by post with a V10 form completed etc. This info differs from what the Post Office said yesterday. So tried one last time at the biggest PO in the town, still no joy. Fortunately they had a V10 form which I will send to DVLA along with all the other documentation. Frustrating but finally an end in sight. Thank you for your contribution.
Yes, it can be difficult having a non standard query with anything DVLA/PO related. Took a bit of PO shopping before I could re-tax my new van. Would have preferred the previous tax class "Police" (£0) to "PHGV"!

Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
My wife has recently been awarded the higher components of PIP, and we have a MH with a weight of 4250. On Friday I went to the post office with the V5 and Certificate re free tax status. The V5 is in my name, the Certificate in my wife’s, same address. The lady serving initially told me I could not have ‘Disabled’ status on a MH, I told her I believed that it could. She then after a few minutes told me she she could not change the taxation class on her computer, and suggested I ring DVLA.
I went on the DVLA website and went on the ‘chat bot’ and eventually ended up messaging a ‘live’ person, she said it could be done and to return to the Post Office and try again. This I did today, with a different lady from Friday, same result, computer says no.
So my question is, has anybody recently managed to change their taxation class from PHGV to Disabled status with a similar weight to 4250?
Can be done but it has to be by post
And you have to renew by post every year

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

They wouldn't let me tax mine online either, when I bought it. Probably something to do with the original taxation class being "Police".

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
First one was by post but renewals I always do online ….never been a problem doing it that way. Once the renewal comes in post do it as normal online.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
The DVLA send me a reminder for tax, provided my vehicle is Mot'd and insured it just renews, only needed the DWP letter the first time

OP
OP
Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
Yes

we are 4.25T

You have to do first at a Main Post Office Occasionally have to put reference from update letter in space requested
I ended up visiting 3 main Post Offices and they couldn’t do it. I ended up sending paperwork to DVLA who subsequently completed it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back