Any Victron experts in Scotland (2 Viewers)

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Anyone know of someone in Central Belt of Scotland who can resolve some issues with my recently installed Victron B2B in my Chausson motorhome? I have been offered good advice what to do but my limited electrical ability is making me nervous about making another cock up!šŸ˜©

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
07891 531033 Logan Vehicle services based in Lanark but is mobile, services vans and fits solar,security systems, b2b, entertainment systems to campers and caravans. Used him for years would let anyone else near our van.
Look him up on Facebook to see the jobs he has done if your on it.
Highly recommended.
Cheers
Kenny.

OP
OP
Kayak Kid
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
07891 531033 Logan Vehicle services based in Lanark but is mobile, services vans and fits solar,security systems, b2b, entertainment systems to campers and caravans. Used him for years would let anyone else near our van.
Look him up on Facebook to see the jobs he has done if your on it.
Highly recommended.
Cheers
Kenny.
Hi Kenny,

Thanks for that recommendation!
Jim

OP
OP
Kayak Kid
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Post the problem and let the Funster brain offer solutions for you?
Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion.
As my posting said, I already have the advice on how to resolve the issues. I am looking for someone to do what is required as I am a bit reluctant to do it myself.
Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2019
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630
Exp
8 years
Anyone know of someone in Central Belt of Scotland who can resolve some issues with my recently installed Victron B2B in my Chausson motorhome? I have been offered good advice what to do but my limited electrical ability is making me nervous about making another cock up!šŸ˜©
Hi Kayak Kid! I'm up in Scotland too. You don't happen to be the guy that manufactured a rear rack to carry a couple of kayaks standing on end? If so, we may have chatted a few years ago on the Chausson Owners group on Facebook. I'm in Fife. I'm about to fit a couple of Victron units to my 2017 Chausson 630. I was wondering if you could share what info you have about fitting the B2B please? Its an Orion unit I have. I assume you will be trying to bypass the split charger of the CBE unit and ensure the fridge still runs on 12V when underway? I also have a Victron MPPT unit to fit...but I think I'm going to take the cables from the MPPT directly to my Fogstar Drift Underseat 230Ah battery and not through the CBE unit. Anything you can offer would be great. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Kayak Kid
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Hi,
Not me I am afraid! I have made many kayak and other types of racks but on this occasion it was not me!šŸ˜Š I have only been a Chausson Owners Group member on FB too for a few months. I live in Kilsyth near Falkirk/ Cumbernauld.

I have fitted a Victron Orion 30A isolated B2B and a Fogstar Drift 230aph Underseat Lithium Battery. As my 2020 Chausson 711 230v charger had no Lithium Charging profile I replaced it with a Victron IP22 30A charger - set to Lithium profile.

I fitted the B2B under the passenger seat behind the Fogstar battery. It is mounted vertically on a stainless steel grid with its cooling fins facing out of the rear of the seat. As it gets quite hot this allows it to vent through the seat vents at the bottom. Very easy to wire the B2B as it is only a positive and negative from it to the cab battery fitted with a circuit breaker on each wire, and another positive and negative wire from the B2B to the lithium leisure battery. I had difficulty finding the split charge relay to disconnect it - but after some recent advice, I have been told to remove the 50A fuse fitted beside the B1 relay which is fitted below the floor between the two front seats in my 711. It may be elsewhere in other vehicles. I havenā€™t done this yet though!

The advice I got, also said that if only using the Victron built in engine run function to start the B2B - to check that the mains charger doesnā€™t trigger it when parked up as the B2B would then drain your cab battery. The advice was also that if using solar (which I do not have as yet) the solar charge voltage could also switch the B2B on and drain the cab battery if not driving. In each case the suggestion was to use the D+ trigger rather than the built in function. The wiring diagram to do this is in the B2B instruction manual.

Unfortunately, my 12v in my fridge is not working when the engine is running. It works fine on gas and 230v and I donā€™t think is related to me fitting the B2B. I have checked out the usual fuses to no avail.

It was at this point I felt that I was at the limit of my knowledge/skills in this area and seek someone with better knowledge than me.

I hope this is helpful.

Aug 29, 2019
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630
Exp
8 years
Hi Kayak Kid! This is most helpful! Are you on a Ford or Fiat base? I did read there was an issue on the Ford base with a bad earth causing the fridge not to work on 12V. Have you heard this? Maybe that may help you? I'm on a Fiat base but the fridge not running on 12V is still a concern. Did you remove the resistor on the CBE unit? Is it the DS300? (some PCB's have a switch I've read) This resistor as you may already know is to isolate the split charging function. Without removing that resistor, the leisure and vehicle are connected when you switch on the ignition and D+ is sensed by the CBE unit. This is not good at all for either battery chemistry. I was wondering if there was space behind the Fogstar battery for the B2B. Thanks for the info!! It would be handy there. I also looked at fitting that unit under the passenger side bench seat, where the boiler and original mains charger is in my van. I note your positioning to allow the B2B to cool. I 3D printed a fan enclosure to take three (or four) 30mm fans. https://www.printables.com/model/509569-victron-orion-dcdc-charger-fan-mount-1212-30 . I plan to add a temperature module, so the fans will switch on and off when certain temperatures are sensed. Again I printed an exclosure for this module. Both fans and temp module are pennies on AliExpress. I can 3D print these enclosures for you if you think you need them. I bought the Fogstar mains charger to cover the mains charging of the lithium. I also bought a Victron mains charger to use on the vehicle battery. The reason I spent so much on a battery charger is that the Victron charger will switch its self back on if there's a power cut. If you don't keep the battery above 11V on a Fiat the airbag module will "fry" its self. I really think the EPROM loses its data. Some say you can reflash them, I had mine reflashed and it lasted a few weeks and cost me Ā£100. On my way to Portugal last December, I had to go onto a Fiat garage in Portsmouth and get a new module fitted or I wouldn't have airbags working in Europe. The garage told me that in their experience, their customers who flashed the units had to end up fitting new units after a few weeks. SO...I wouldn't recommend anyone getting the module reflashed...especially from the most popular reflashing company in Liverpool. That company are Charlatans! I emailed them to ask for advice, and they attacked me from the get-go. I read reviews of their company online and this is the way they deal with customers that have issues with their work or lack thereof. So anyway, our systems are quite similar. Your post is a really fantastic resource for me. Someone else with a Chausson. I'm on my second Chausson. I had a 610 before this 630. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kayak Kid
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Kayak Kid! This is most helpful! Are you on a Ford or Fiat base? I did read there was an issue on the Ford base with a bad earth causing the fridge not to work on 12V. Have you heard this? Maybe that may help you? I'm on a Fiat base but the fridge not running on 12V is still a concern. Did you remove the resistor on the CBE unit? Is it the DS300? (some PCB's have a switch I've read) This resistor as you may already know is to isolate the split charging function. Without removing that resistor, the leisure and vehicle are connected when you switch on the ignition and D+ is sensed by the CBE unit. This is not good at all for either battery chemistry. I was wondering if there was space behind the Fogstar battery for the B2B. Thanks for the info!! It would be handy there. I also looked at fitting that unit under the passenger side bench seat, where the boiler and original mains charger is in my van. I note your positioning to allow the B2B to cool. I 3D printed a fan enclosure to take three (or four) 30mm fans. https://www.printables.com/model/509569-victron-orion-dcdc-charger-fan-mount-1212-30 . I plan to add a temperature module, so the fans will switch on and off when certain temperatures are sensed. Again I printed an exclosure for this module. Both fans and temp module are pennies on AliExpress. I can 3D print these enclosures for you if you think you need them. I bought the Fogstar mains charger to cover the mains charging of the lithium. I also bought a Victron mains charger to use on the vehicle battery. The reason I spent so much on a battery charger is that the Victron charger will switch its self back on if there's a power cut. If you don't keep the battery above 11V on a Fiat the airbag module will "fry" its self. I really think the EPROM loses its data. Some say you can reflash them, I had mine reflashed and it lasted a few weeks and cost me Ā£100. On my way to Portugal last December, I had to go onto a Fiat garage in Portsmouth and get a new module fitted or I wouldn't have airbags working in Europe. The garage told me that in their experience, their customers who flashed the units had to end up fitting new units after a few weeks. SO...I wouldn't recommend anyone getting the module reflashed...especially from the most popular reflashing company in Liverpool. That company are Charlatans! I emailed them to ask for advice, and they attacked me from the get-go. I read reviews of their company online and this is the way they deal with customers that have issues with their work or lack thereof. So anyway, our systems are quite similar. Your post is a really fantastic resource for me. Someone else with a Chausson. I'm on my second Chausson. I had a 610 before this 630. Thanks!
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am a 2020 Fiat based unit.

No, I havenā€™t removed the resistor in the CBE unit as it does not have the resistor or a switch. I had to replace my CBE unit last year after it fried. The original unit had the resistor as I still have it. The replacement from Chausson is a different unit, but they said it was compatible.

As I said in my last post, I have been advised to remove the B1 relay 50A fuse (not yet done) to disable the split charge subject to the point I made about the Victron B2B potential to drain the engine battery when on hook up. That bit is beyond me as I donā€™t understand how that can happen.

However regarding my 12v on the fridge not working, having spoken to Knowepark Motorhomes, Grant the Service Manager wonders if indeed the new unit may be the problem for my 12v to the fridge given that the fuses are ok. I have booked it in for 31 May to have a look. I have sent him the number of both of the CBE distribution unit to double check with Chausson.

Regarding your kind offer of a fan housing for the B2B, I doubt very much if there is enough room to fit fans at the back of the passenger seat behind the Lithium and B2B. I am however hopeful that there will be sufficient airflow through the seat to keep it cool enough!šŸ¤ž

Rather than bore everyone here with the details, I can give you a copy of the relevant screenshots I made of the advice I got from (who seems very knowledgable) on the FB Chausson Owners Group if you cannot access it yourself under my postings (Jim Breen). Just send me a pm!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2019
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630
Exp
8 years
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am a 2020 Fiat based unit.
Oooh Loving it!! :smiley:
No, I havenā€™t removed the resistor in the CBE unit as it does not have the resistor or a switch. I had to replace my CBE unit last year after it fried. The original unit had the resistor as I still have it. The replacement from Chausson is a different unit, but they said it was compatible.
Ah! OK...interesting...
As I said in my last post, I have been advised to remove the B1 relay 50A fuse (not yet done) to disable the split charge subject to the point I made about the Victron B2B potential to drain the engine battery when on hook up. That bit is beyond me as I donā€™t understand how that can happen.
I don't at this point understand it either but would like to know as no doubt you are. I would have thought some diodes could solve that issue. Look forward to finding out though.
However regarding my 12v on the fridge not working, having spoken to Knowepark Motorhomes, Grant the Service Manager wonders if indeed the new unit may be the problem for my 12v to the fridge given that the fuses are ok. I have booked it in for 31 May to have a look. I have sent him the number of both of the CBE distribution unit to double check with Chausson.
Keep me in the loop!
Regarding your kind offer of a fan housing for the B2B, I doubt very much if there is enough room to fit fans at the back of the passenger seat behind the Lithium and B2B. I am however hopeful that there will be sufficient airflow through the seat to keep it cool enough!šŸ¤ž
Good stuff...the fan housing only adds about 10mm to the height of the B2B, but if you don't have the 10mm...its too much.šŸ˜‰ The offer is there if you have issues. I have also printed fan shroud's for the MPPT and plan to fit a fan under the fan to blow air up through the MPPT and back out under the floor again. This too will have a temp sensor. I read that when the heat goes up on these units...it throttles the efficiency. No point adding a better solar regulator and lithium battery and have anything less efficient in the system are my thoughts.
Rather than bore everyone here with the details, I can give you a copy of the relevant screenshots I made of the advice I got from (who seems very knowledgable) on the FB Chausson Owners Group if you cannot access it yourself under my postings (Jim Breen). Just send me a pm!

Will do, but adding here may help other Chausson owners. Thanks KK!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back