Any suggestions Isle of Wight (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Biased but seek out the Compass wine bar in Cowes where our daughter runs the catering side OR;
On your travels around the Isle, look out for Borneo Pantry's award winning chutney. Made on the island by, you've guessed it, daughter again. Unlike another producer who gets all the publicity and visits by the glitterati, hers is artisan and HAND MADE on the I. O. W.
Minor rant over (y)

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Use Red Funnel and book sites through them - feel free to PM me.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We used the Red Funnel package and chose a site about half a mile from Cowes. From then on we used public transport to get about so the van did precisely one mile on the island!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
best check your van does not have to pay the emissions charge if going from Portsmouth, Southampton Red Funnel avoids this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I had a week over there last July.
Carisbrooke Castle if you like historical stuff. Ventnor Tropical Gardens if that's your thing. The 'hop on, hop off' open top bus service is great to avoid traffic and parking hassle.
Don't bother with the ghastly touristy theme park/amusement arcade/fast food outlets, tacky souvenir and trendy Chinese tat shops at the Needles.
It seemed to me like Blackpool with a dragging anchor.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I had a week over there last July.
Carisbrooke Castle if you like historical stuff. Ventnor Tropical Gardens if that's your thing. The 'hop on, hop off' open top bus service is great to avoid traffic and parking hassle.
Don't bother with the ghastly touristy theme park/amusement arcade/fast food outlets, tacky souvenir and trendy Chinese tat shops at the Needles.
Or better still stay in The New Forest!!!!!!!

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Agree with Robnchris the place has got left behind ,lots of places rundown , we wouldn't go back camc site is OK though.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Agree with Robnchris the place has got left behind ,lots of places rundown , we wouldn't go back camc site is OK though.
Well only 10 posts and I have went from "Oh never been, heard so much about it, put on to go list, sound great to gosh that sounds horrendous.... forget it, not going" 😎😎😎

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
We used the Red Funnel package
Hi.
So have we. I think CAMC do a link up with these as well,worth asking if you are a member.
Tea Bag

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Biased but seek out the Compass wine bar in Cowes where our daughter runs the catering side OR;
On your travels around the Isle, look out for Borneo Pantry's award winning chutney. Made on the island by, you've guessed it, daughter again. Unlike another producer who gets all the publicity and visits by the glitterati, hers is artisan and HAND MADE on the I. O. W.
Minor rant over (y)
Only open 2 days a week and drinks only! No wonder she's making chutney!

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
We used the Red Funnel package and chose a site about half a mile from Cowes. From then on we used public transport to get about so the van did precisely one mile on the island!
Been a couple of times and done the same , Red Funnell offer, Waverley Park ,couple of minutes off the ferry and took buses (use bus pass) all round the island . Seen most of the attractions and as someone said it is a bit run down and dated in parts but still a nice place to visit .

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
The heritage sights are expensive especially for a family, being a member of English heritage Trust helps. Its been said the ferry crossing mile for mile is one of the most expensive crossings in the UK.
Last time we went over to iow festival and squeezed a bit of sightseeing in in the car, but like some others on here have said it felt a bit tired and rundown.
I would go back but only for the festival.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
The towns are somewhat rundown, there are many nice walks around the island though. Osbourne house and grounds were really nice. Sites were all adequate that I stayed on.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Only open 2 days a week and drinks only! No wonder she's making chutney!
Drinks only right now because she's having a well deserved break.
I don't think the OP was asking for suggestions right now.

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
The towns are somewhat rundown, there are many nice walks around the island though. Osbourne house and grounds were really nice. Sites were all adequate that I stayed on.
totally agree Osbourne house is amazing .....its like she is still there.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Be aware that many of the roads are restricted to less than 6'6" wide so travelling in a motorhome is difficult if you want to use it for getting around. It's great for walking, and not too bad for cycling (there are hills).

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Highly recommend a visit to the IOW Steam Railway. The journeys on the trains are enjoyable, the 'Train Story' attraction is very well put together and interesting, and there are often events on including Falconry and small festivals.
There's parking for motorhomes at Havenstreet, although only a few spaces.

I stayed at Parkdean at Lower Hyde. The MH/touring section was nice, with good facilities, once I'd found it through the sea of statics! I personally would look for a much smaller place to stay next time, but Lower Hyde has good facilities for families.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I love the island and live the other side of the Solent . It is quirky , set back in the 70s and yes has enough tat to fill Blackpool , Brighton , Great Yarmouth , etc etc . Ventnor is great as is steeple hill grove , the drive along the military road is wonderful so is freshwater and Yarmouth . The garlic farm is great.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I love the island and live the other side of the Solent . It is quirky , set back in the 70s and yes has enough tat to fill Blackpool , Brighton , Great Yarmouth , etc etc . Ventnor is great as is steeple hill grove , the drive along the military road is wonderful so is freshwater and Yarmouth . The garlic farm is great.
To be fair I think they are now in the 80's!:giggle:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I can highly recommend The Crab Lobster Inn....Pub/Restaurant/ Hotel, used to have 4/5 rooms to stay upstairs, which we did many moons back before even thinking about a MH.
Its speciality is of course Sea Food, but you may have to book if you want to get a table inside the restaurant, but they serve meals and great beers from the bar also, sit in or eat on the patio outside in the summer.
Its located at North Foreland point Bembridge, IOW, here's a link below, would love to go back the food was that good.(y)
Have Fun.
LES

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Mermaid Bar….lovely cocktails, nice pizza and you can stock up on their Mermaid Gin.

Betsy Lamb

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Wight link take tesco clubcard rewards. Stayed at Appledurcombe holiday park which was lovely. Public transport is excellent but driving and parking were easy too. Sea fishing superb

Bjwwil

Free Member
Oct 11, 2020
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Majestic285
Exp
Highly recommend a visit to the IOW Steam Railway. The journeys on the trains are enjoyable, the 'Train Story' attraction is very well put together and interesting, and there are often events on including Falconry and small festivals.
There's parking for motorhomes at Havenstreet, although only a few spaces.

I stayed at Parkdean at Lower Hyde. The MH/touring section was nice, with good facilities, once I'd found it through the sea of statics! I personally would look for a much smaller place to stay next time, but Lower Hyde has good facilities for families.
Loved the IOW steam railway, fab saying and for our grandchild, blackgang chine was a good day out.
We stayed at southlands which was a good site but, like other posters have said, the roads around the island are narrow so travel in the motor Home is difficult

jim999bob

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
isle wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We moved here 20 years ago, we like the countryside, friendly people, slow pace of life, hardly any crime. It's a nice place to be! have a good trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back