Any suggestions Isle of Wight (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Red funnel offer 5 or10 day stays on four different campsites at very reasonable prices. We have done two of them and enjoyed it very much. You can mix and match as well.
Phil upmetank

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
As per title any suggestions would be most grateful
Good choice, I used to to go on business far better weather than the mainland. Get to the Solent and the sun came out, on way back pass the Solent cloud/mist/rain all day on the mainland. Go for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Love the "Island" .Been going there in the "Concorde" for many years .Mostly use " Waverley Holiday Park" ,just five Min' from Red Funnel jetty in East Cowes. Waverley will book your ferry at preferential prices too .Ferry leaves from Southampton, easy journey via M27,follow Western docks signs ,NO congestion charges etc en-route.
The " Island " has a lot of self produced goodies ,ie,--three breweries,,distlillery--vinyards--tomato farm--Garlic farm--Cheese manufactures-- abundant farm shops--sailing --fishing----It really IS a self contained little bit of England !! all be it a bit slower pace of life .

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I did post a route to the Portsmouth/IOW ferry terminal that avoids the CAZ. It's in the "Manchester CAZ Zone" thread

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
I love the place ! I've been going since i was 4 years old (I'm now 60) Ive been in hotels, caravans, tents and last year our motorhome.
We stayed at Heathfield Farm Camping near Freshwater. Its on the quite side of the island but is serviced well by buses. We paid £25 each for bus passes and travelled all over the island. The campsite booked the ferries for us and saved us a fortune (We sailed Lymington to Yarmouth which is only a mile or so from the campsite) There is a beach about 10 mins walk from the site. The site itself is run very well as regards to noise, stray dogs and children. We will be going back at some point in the next year or two. If you like walking or biking you will enjoy it. The pitches were a decent size too.
iGN3mb4sTWyPhu6ZabSxUg.jpg
oW781Z7YQIahqpD%Q%Ng%Q.jpg
fFinsUXRT36Z1WnjSArCrw.jpg
rXH30bpBRF+eIAutz0xacA.jpg

OP
OP
J
Nov 6, 2018
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
I’m a newbie
I love the place ! I've been going since i was 4 years old (I'm now 60) Ive been in hotels, caravans, tents and last year our motorhome.
We stayed at Heathfield Farm Camping near Freshwater. Its on the quite side of the island but is serviced well by buses. We paid £25 each for bus passes and travelled all over the island. The campsite booked the ferries for us and saved us a fortune (We sailed Lymington to Yarmouth which is only a mile or so from the campsite) There is a beach about 10 mins walk from the site. The site itself is run very well as regards to noise, stray dogs and children. We will be going back at some point in the next year or two. If you like walking or biking you will enjoy it. The pitches were a decent size too. View attachment 575992View attachment 575993View attachment 575994View attachment 575995
Thanks we’re seriously considering Heathfield

Aug 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer I580
Don't use the CCC Adgestone site - it's a long way from anywhere without transport - ie all narrow roads with no paths.
Oops, I’m off to Adgestone for a couple of weeks in May, I’ll have my S1 Land Rover on a trailer behind my ‘van, 12.5 metres in all. Obviously ok when/if I get there to use my S1 to get around but a bit concerned about the site reading your post.

Aug 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer I580
Don't use the CCC Adgestone site - it's a long way from anywhere without transport - ie all narrow roads with no paths.
I’m off to Adgestone in May for a couple of weeks, never been onto the I of W so no idea what to expect. I’ll be trailing my S1 Land Rover behind my ‘van so it’s 12.5 metres overall, obviously no problem to get around with my tiny 80” once/if I’m on site but a bit concerned about your comments, anything further to add?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I’m off to Adgestone in May for a couple of weeks, never been onto the I of W so no idea what to expect. I’ll be trailing my S1 Land Rover behind my ‘van so it’s 12.5 metres overall, obviously no problem to get around with my tiny 80” once/if I’m on site but a bit concerned about your comments, anything further to add?
Just hope nothing comes the other way - fortunately it's not a busy road. We certainly didn't encounter anything either way. I don't think the length will be a problem. The Landy will be fine getting around.

The site itself seemed OK but unfortunately we only stayed one night because I had an accident on the ferry on the way over - fell down the stairs and ended up with a torn tendon! Couldn't put any pressure on my arm so I wasn't able to get on the back of the scooter which was what we were going to use to get around.

Feb 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis Steel
Exp
20 years
We moved here 20 years ago, we like the countryside, friendly people, slow pace of life, hardly any crime. It's a nice place to be! have a good trip.
You are so right, I mainly sail there, Newtown Creek is my favourite, dinosaur remains at low water., nice pub at the end of the creek. Camped there to on a number of occasions. Good place to explore just avoid the tourist drive South-East end.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Western end of the island is the nicest. Newtown Creek, Yarmouth, Freshwater Bay, Tennyson Down, Totland Bay, Military rd down to Ventnor. Eastern end, Bembridge Seaview and St Helens Bay are lovely. Ryde has a certain rundown charm about it. West Cowes has some nice shops and cafes. Roads which cross the island tend to be very narrow in places. Loads of great footpaths for walking . Bus passes are a great way of exploring without using your van .

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
been a few times, last one was last September. it is definitely an island of two half's.. you have bembridge, ventnor, freshwater etc which are quite nice... you then have beirut which is what Sandown sea front looked like last September (dreadful)

1642436361994.png

1642436402862.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
J
Nov 6, 2018
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thanks for all suggestions people was also hoping that someone could share any thoughts on sites we’ve looked at Stoots and Highfield and others but these 2 seem to keep coming up

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Thanks for all suggestions people was also hoping that someone could share any thoughts on sites we’ve looked at Stoots and Highfield and others but these 2 seem to keep coming up
we have stayed at
caravan and motor home club in sandown = excellent as you would expect
Whitefields Forest = Very wooded and dark
Appuldurcombe gardens = Excellent, really nice owner

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Johnny, you pays your money and make's your choice , imo I would save my money and stay on mainland.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There is only one way in and out by van to Tom Tom tried to take me the wrong way

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
A few years back we took our great grandson and friend to IOW for a day out. (We live in Portsmouth). Went by Hovercraft and took the electric train from Ryde to connect with the steam train to Havenstreet Station. Fabulous day, totally unexpected. The woodland walk was fantastic, full of surprises for the boys, and gave us two Oldies lots of laughs. Then we watched the falconry display, had a (very long) look at the train displays, and spent ages in the little library and gift shop. The boys loved getting dressed up in train drivers' uniforms to play-act on the retired train museum and the cafe served a very adequate lunch at a surprisingly cheap price. The day was thoroughly enjoyed by us all and anyone with 5-10 Yr old should give it a go. If I remember rightly, the whole day for 2 OAP and two 9yr olds cost around £150, including Hovercraft, trains, lunch and ice creams. This was pre Covid - about 4 yrs ago.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
The last time i visited the steam railway you could attend a recitation in the evening, it's really meant for children i think but being a big kid myself i thought i'd go, the recitation was the signalman by Charles Dickens, so children sitting cross legged on the floor at the front, adults behind on chairs and all of us totally engrossed for the duration, not a peep was heard from anyone until the end. Well worth the small fee for an entertaining event.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
How about the Orchards Holiday Park? Ferry deals via Red funnel or Wight link and bus top right outside.
ezee

Mar 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Driver 68
As per title any suggestions would be most grateful
I grew up there and we went twice in our moho last summer. What would you like to know? Also what are you seeking to do there? Happy to chat via message if you like.

Sep 3, 2017
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E625
Exp
MH since 2016, caravanning since 1984
If you are a member of the Camping and Caravan Club you can get a 50% discount from Wightlink on some Motorhomes, well worth it for the cost of the clubs subscriptions alone. Very useful for us motorhomers that live on the Island. The West of the Island is the quietest and some nice sites on the Military road on the south of the Islands such as Chale Farm and Grange Farm with magnificent views across the channel.. Whitefield Forest near Ryde is a great place to stay with red squirrels in plenty and Tesco supermarket close by. Lucketts, near Yarmouth is a good place to stay for a trip to Yarmouth Harbour with good eating places serving the many visiting Yachts, and the Needles a little further on. The Island really does have a microclimate of its's own and although it's a bit like living in the 1980's, many of the roads have been relaid making driving much easier than on the mainland.

Attachments

• C1BB762A-59D2-4325-A44E-3214AF70FB3E.JPG
    C1BB762A-59D2-4325-A44E-3214AF70FB3E.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 6

ValC

Free Member
Apr 19, 2016
Leverstock green herts
Funster No
MH
Carthago C compact
Exp
10 yrs
Kingsclere campsite at gurnard is fab, give my love to Julia and Richard ! It's got all you need.

ValC

Free Member
Apr 19, 2016
Leverstock green herts
Funster No
MH
Carthago C compact
Exp
10 yrs
Kingsclere campsite at gurnard is fab and has everything you need. Owners Richard and Julia are gems, give them my regards !

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We used a Holiday Park , I think it was Haven Holiday Park , fully serviced pitch , cheap as chips , but out side school Holidays , school holiday prices went through the roof , we just camped there never used their bar etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back