Any recommendations for parking sensors (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Looking for recommendations for parking sensors and wondering if you can get by with not being cabled.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Me too. The last time I saw wireless parking sensors was sticking out of wagon mudguards - springy things with a ball on the end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Ok this what ended up buying.
Black Rear Car Parking Reversing with 4 Sensor Buzzer Mini box Kit Amazon product ASIN B001H26BGM
I decided to go for an audible warning rather than a screen display using Wi-fi to connect to the sensors. The first sound of alarm and that will be the signal for myself to brake and Gail to get out to inspect and myself to focus on the reversing camera.
Had the work done professionally so ended up spending over £200, which wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea.
Seems to work ok.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm not a fan of reversing sensors. They all seem to have blind spots. In my car, I've reversed up to a bollard that was below the height of the back window, so I couldn't see it in any of the mirrors. The reversing sensors beeped while I was two metres away, then went blind to it as I got closer. Other cars I've driven, they've compensated by giving the continuous 'oh-shit-you're-about-to-hit' squeal when there's still a metre to go. They give a false sense of security! And all of them seem as sensitive/accurate when it's rained and they've got water droplets on them.

I much prefer a downwards facing reversing camera... although that has to be at least 120 degree angle to get the width of a motorhome bumper from a camera mounted at the roof line. And bike racks can get in the way.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Dec 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Hi-Line
Exp
Since 2015 but caravanning since 1983
Ok this what ended up buying.
Black Rear Car Parking Reversing with 4 Sensor Buzzer Mini box Kit Amazon product ASIN B001H26BGM
I decided to go for an audible warning rather than a screen display using Wi-fi to connect to the sensors. The first sound of alarm and that will be the signal for myself to brake and Gail to get out to inspect and myself to focus on the reversing camera.
Had the work done professionally so ended up spending over £200, which wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea.
Seems to work ok.
I reversed into a flower pot in the drive and the section of rear bumper that was damaged cost £349 to be fitted. I am now looking at fitting rear parking sensors. £200 professionally fitted seams a good price in comarison to replacing a section of bumper. I plan to do the work myself so should cost less than £100.

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Fitted these - just connected to reversing light for power. Good display and seems very accurate so far
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ePathChina®-Display-Sensors-Reversing-Periodic/dp/B00KAVKSFG

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I reversed into a flower pot in the drive and the section of rear bumper that was damaged cost £349 to be fitted. I am now looking at fitting rear parking sensors. £200 professionally fitted seams a good price in comarison to replacing a section of bumper. I plan to do the work myself so should cost less than £100.
I still think a visual confirmation is better than trusting the beeps. Ultrasonic reserving sensors have blind spots, sometimes can't tell the difference between a high kerb and a genuine obstacle, get affected by rain drops on the sensors and get confused as hell with foliage.

Dec 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Hi-Line
Exp
Since 2015 but caravanning since 1983
I still think a visual confirmation is better than trusting the beeps. Ultrasonic reserving sensors have blind spots, sometimes can't tell the difference between a high kerb and a genuine obstacle, get affected by rain drops on the sensors and get confused as hell with foliage.
I didn't see the flower pot in the reversing camera. Reversing sensors are only an aid and I would never rely on them.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I didn't see the flower pot in the reversing camera. Reversing sensors are only an aid and I would never rely on them.
I had a twin view camera on my last van. One lens was pointing down so I could see the whole rear bumper. The other lens pointed back up the road, so was good as a rear view mirror.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back