Spec me some reversing sensors please (1 Viewer)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So i'm after some reversing sensors for our Auto Sleeper kingham which are to be installed in the standard grey / black Peugeot boxer rear bumper , ideally i wan't them to automatically come on when you select reverse without the need for doing anything else, so i assume this is possible by just connecting into the reversing switch wire from the gearbox or from the reversing lights ??
Can you's spec me a reversing kit that would do the above for me (y) (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just remember reversing sensors work well on cars, on roads!

They do dolally on grass and gravell due to the multi faceted surfaces so are pretty useless. Many a customer has reversed into a bollard because they ‘ignore the sensors on grass’

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You may not have a lot of choice. Modern vehicles use a CanBus so no actual 12v can be picked up. If you connect anything to the rear reverse light you may get an error on the CanBus. You will need to look for a CanBus system that is specific for your vehicle.

You could fit a CanBus Interface unit which you fit into your wiring. This will detect the reverse selection from the gear shift and give you the 12v output you need. They are readily available and easy to fit. You just need to fit something like Dolphin System then. Got one on ours with 6 sensors as it’s 2.3m wide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I bought a set boxed as 'Dunlop' the other day. 4 sensors . everything n the box , including hole cutter. Just picked up the 12v from the reversing light itself as everything can be fitted at the rear apart from the display . I fitted that first to ensure I didn't position the rest in a place the display cable wouldn't reach. All just plug & play but might not be suitable if you have the can bus.
Mine works a treat.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
688B7A4F-E01F-40C2-BB7E-9C8513822316.jpeg

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I have fitted 4 sets of the Dolphin reversing sensors - 2 to MH's (2011 / 2012 Ducato/Boxer PVC's) and 2 to cars,(Citroen C3 and Berlingo) all of which had Canbus technology. I used the reversing light wire to pick up a feed in each case and had no problems with any of them. If I was doing another one, I would use the Wago connectors rather than bayonet connectors or solder. It's worth getting under the vehicle with a torch and looking at the back of the bumper as I found that a couple of the jobs I did, I could see a circle in the plastic moulding where factory fitted sensors would have been fitted.

https://www.dolphin-direct.co.uk/category/motorhome-parking-sensor-kits

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wago-221...hash=item3aebbfc6a6:m:mUI1cpGfXXPqZlQoedZrypQ

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I have fitted 4 sets of the Dolphin reversing sensors - 2 to MH's (2011 / 2012 Ducato/Boxer PVC's) and 2 to cars,(Citroen C3 and Berlingo) all of which had Canbus technology. I used the reversing light wire to pick up a feed in each case and had no problems with any of them. If I was doing another one, I would use the Wago connectors rather than bayonet connectors or solder. It's worth getting under the vehicle with a torch and looking at the back of the bumper as I found that a couple of the jobs I did, I could see a circle in the plastic moulding where factory fitted sensors would have been fitted.

https://www.dolphin-direct.co.uk/category/motorhome-parking-sensor-kits

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wago-221...hash=item3aebbfc6a6:m:mUI1cpGfXXPqZlQoedZrypQ
Thanks for the links , i am seriously looking at one of their kits , i'm just wondering whether to buy the one with the monitor , it the monitor seems so small is that makes me wonder if its hard to see the direction of the obstruction that is being detected, i suppose at the same time i do not want something massive.
The monitor size is : L100mm x W26mm x H20mm
Did you ( or anyone else here ) ever use the Dolphin system with the monitor , is the monitor fine and appropriately sized ??
Thanks

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Did you ( or anyone else here ) ever use the Dolphin system with the monitor said:
I fitted the reverse sensors along with a rear view camera so did not have the monitor as well. The kit I had came with a small speaker for the beeps and I just positioned it out of the way but still clearly audible from the front cab.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You can safely try connecting to the reversing light supply. You must connect to the +12v switched connected to the lamp itself. I say 'try' because the CANBUS rear lighting control module might pick it up as a reversing light fault - unlikely but possible and regardless of whether it does or not no harm will result.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You can safely try connecting to the reversing light supply. You must connect to the +12v switched connected to the lamp itself. I say 'try' because the CANBUS rear lighting control module might pick it up as a reversing light fault - unlikely but possible and regardless of whether it does or not no harm will result.

No problem with my 2012 Ducato with CANBUS.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I had reversing sensors fitted around 8 years ago. I also had a camera fitted in the centre so looks like 5 sensors and coupled to a portable dvd player on the dashboard.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
See atm we have a camera fitted to it ( 2017 Auto sleeper Kingham )
We have only just purchased it and the camera seemed to "surfice" during the day , but the other day had been raining and the camera was all steamed up and vision was SHITE , so much so that i deceived not to turn around the MH on our driveway . so ill either need to also put some sort of canopy over the top of the camera like an umbrella , then that will sort out the camera and i will still install some reversing sensors , or i might end up at looking at changing the camera and also installing reversing sensors.
@Stealaway thanks for the link , when i read the installation instructions for them "in their Chinglish" they mentioned camera ,, i take it that is just some problem with translation ??
So far im enclined to pay the extra for the dolphin sensors , due to possible problems with the Canbus system.
@martin1485 thanks for the links , and yes you were correct as i looked behind the bumper and can see some circles on the rear , mind you they are near the size of a ten pence piece.

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
@martin1485 thanks for the links , and yes you were correct as i looked behind the bumper and can see some circles on the rear , mind you they are near the size of a ten pence piece.

I used a long sharp thin spike from inside the bumper in the centre of the circles ( awkward but doable) to make a mark on the outside to give me the drill centre for the sensors. That saved taking the bumper apart and avoided the possibility of drilling into the steel beam of the bumper. The Dolphin kit came with a hole saw of the exact diameter needed. I was pleased with the quality of the parts supplied.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I've just been re-looking at these reversing sensors again and have a question.
see the likes of the kits on ebay , they all seem to use the same display, the same as the one used in this kit

When you reverse and something thriggers say the right rear sensor ,, do the bars on the display just light up on the left side of it ,, so you can tell which side at the rear of the vehicle the obstruction is on, or does the left and right side of the display light up evenly so its not possible to say where the obstruction is.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've just been re-looking at these reversing sensors again and have a question.
see the likes of the kits on ebay , they all seem to use the same display, the same as the one used in this kit

When you reverse and something thriggers say the right rear sensor ,, do the bars on the display just light up on the left side of it ,, so you can tell which side at the rear of the vehicle the obstruction is on, or does the left and right side of the display light up evenly so its not possible to say where the obstruction is.
Unless these are substantially different, they are audio sensors, not visual sensors meaning it will sound if there's an obstruction anywhere within its range. AFAIK, they don't light up individually but perhaps that's the way forward.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Unless these are substantially different, they are audio sensors, not visual sensors meaning it will sound if there's an obstruction anywhere within its range. AFAIK, they don't light up individually but perhaps that's the way forward.
I've just seen another video and I'm pretty sure it does show more bars on one side if that sensor is closer to an obstruction.
Watch from 10 mins 20 secs on this video you will see at times the lights are not the same on the left as the right.
WARNING turn your volume down (y) (y)

@Stealaway is this display similar to one you had

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

:Mine is set so that when I am sat in the drivers seat ( left hand drive) The far right sensor is the one on the passenger side & far left is on the drivers side. & yes only that side scale increases, green ,orange, red, & distance reduces from the sensor nearest to the obstruction.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've just seen another video and I'm pretty sure it does show more bars on one side if that sensor is closer to an obstruction.
Watch from 10 mins 20 secs on this video you will see at times the lights are not the same on the left as the right.
WARNING turn your volume down (y) (y)

@Stealaway is this display similar to one you had

I did say if they are substantially different and obviously you know better than me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back