Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hello

After a month travelling in Greece, we have returned to our base in France and I set about, today, cleaning the inside of the van (a 2012 Bailey 620 Approach).

Whilst I was hoovering the mats around the pedals, I discovered that there is a small tray underneath the driver's seat. I knew there was one on the passenger side, as that's where the jack and tools are located. I was looking to see how it slid out when I noticed a couple of wires in a connector that didn't go any where. I got out a torch and had a look but couldn't see any obvious place where they may plug into. I've attached a picture of the wires. I appreciate that it doesn't give much of a clue but maybe someone can give me an idea whether they are supposed to be connected elsewhere.

When I first saw them, I thought that I may have discovered the reason why the habitation door no longer shuts on the central locking. But there is no obvious place from where they may have become disconnected.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 170

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Under the seat is where the air bag sensors are usually but you would have a warning light if that is what it is. Might be a wire linked to electrically heated seats, for example a temperature sensor. The wires for optional extras are often part of the standard loom.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Possibly installed by manufactures for "extra" facilities not specified when your van was new - ie Electric seat motors and or heated seats?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Perhaps an unused circuit for a seat sensor? If it was a left hand drive it would be the passenger seat and might be used to turn an air bag off or a warning light on. I think they fit a wiring harness to cover all possibilities, I have come accross unused connectors before and not lost any sleep over them.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you everyone who posted. I'll just ignore them then. The seats are not heated (at least they're not listed in the spec.)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've got some 'danglers' too but nothing's amiss so we assume they are just bits of the cabling for stuff we don't have as suggested above.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Oh yes I remember now, Ejector Seat. Whatever you don't touch unless you have the roof open.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We've got some 'danglers' too but nothing's amiss so we assume they are just bits of the cabling for stuff we don't have as suggested above.

'ere! oi got some danglers too :hugs: Maureen 'as threatened to remove 'em a few times too :gum:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The box under the drivers seat in our 07 Swift Bolero contains a small radiator (fed from the vehicle cooling system) and a fan to blow hot air into the habitation area when we're on the go. Switch is in an inconspicuous space on the lower right of the dash - it's a standard Fiat switch with a fan symbol on it. Took me two years to discover it.

The wires are probably for that, although I've never come across another Ducato with this particular accessory - but it's very effective!

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Hello

After a month travelling in Greece, we have returned to our base in France and I set about, today, cleaning the inside of the van (a 2012 Bailey 620 Approach).

Whilst I was hoovering the mats around the pedals, I discovered that there is a small tray underneath the driver's seat. I knew there was one on the passenger side, as that's where the jack and tools are located. I was looking to see how it slid out when I noticed a couple of wires in a connector that didn't go any where. I got out a torch and had a look but couldn't see any obvious place where they may plug into. I've attached a picture of the wires. I appreciate that it doesn't give much of a clue but maybe someone can give me an idea whether they are supposed to be connected elsewhere.

When I first saw them, I thought that I may have discovered the reason why the habitation door no longer shuts on the central locking. But there is no obvious place from where they may have become disconnected.
Your wires may be for seatbelt pre tensioners that are fitted to standard double seats on passenger side of lhd vans.
If it not broke don't fix it!!

Edit It may be a feed for an extra leisure battery...... Plenty articles on google about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
As to the possibility of an ejector seat, can it be moved to the passenger side?
I've learned my lesson about fiddling with dangly bits, the hard way.
If it is a feed for a second leisure battery, that would be great; I'd like to fit a second leisure battery but am not sure where it would fit and how to wire it up to solar panel etc.
Will try and forget about the dangling wires.

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89Âş North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
They are under the seat on my van also, as said suspect they are tail on the standard loom.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
When I first saw them, I thought that I may have discovered the reason why the habitation door no longer shuts on the central locking.
If it's like mine, that'll be a broken wire in the loom from the van body to the door, in the door shut area...

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@EssexBoy-yes, it probably is what you describe. However, I tested all the wires using a mulitester, that I could see between the hab door and the van body. No breaks there. So it's likely to be behind the hab door trim. Boss doesn't want me to take the door trim off as she thinks I'll make the matter worse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back