ANY HELP ON ROUTE THRO FRANCE (1 Viewer)

Dec 11, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
swift bessacar e480
Exp
since june 2016
Hi all
I think I am going to go from Calais >abbevile>rouen>chartres>tours>poitiers>angelouleme>Bordeaux>bayone as per about-france chat. I am sure many of you funsters have done this route can you give me any does and donts or must and must nots got 3 weeks then into spain don't mind changing the route as its not dead set and its our first time driving thro france so thanks for any help / advice

graham and jo

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Ensure you know your way around Rouen. I stuck a post up here a couple of years ago with idiot proof instructions (well it worked for me!) as it can get interesting. Search "Rouen" when you can. Dependant upon what you want to see determines the route down there. Personally speaking I would go Rouen Chartres cut across to Nevers and down that road to Montpellier then spend time in Herault and Languedoc but theres a great argument for going through the Dordogne region and the lot then Acquitaine. Take a look at "Best places to see in France" see what you fancy and work the route out from that would be my advice, especially if you have 3 weeks to do it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Rouen ---- Do NOT try to go through the underpasses! (Many have :( ) If you can go around Rouen, do.

Watched a new life in the sun on TV and a couple hired a Luton van to bring all the stuff over from the UK to Spain had an argument with something in Rouen and ended up munching the roof of the hire van 1k damage.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Yep second that .. We saw them last year .. You have to be careful especially with the sat / nav .. Always stay on the nearside .. If you get in a mess just stop :whistle:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Found it ...........................

Without a satnav, byspassing Rouen caused no end of problems last year, ended up in the town centre and trying to get out was hassle beyond belief. I believe others have struggled aswell.

Copied from MMM last month.

Over many years we have not found a sensible alternative to bypass Rouen. The motorway becomes Dual carriageway at the city's edge and drops down through a tunnel. Exit this in the inside lane and in 1.5km take the 3rd exit signed to Vernon. The slip road ends in traffic lights - go in the centre lane to turn left across a dual carriageway. You should now be in the right hand lane for the next set of lights. Go straight on then bear right onto the D6015 signed for Vernon. In a little while the Seine appears on your right and you are clear of the City.

I would be really tempted to keep these instructions they were written by a driver for a driver and worked really well for us.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
If you are doing this route in winter take plenty of provisions as some towns are dead in winter. Vivonne is a great overnight aire in the town centre . Water 2 mins and elec 55 mins for 2 euros. Need 2 euro coin. All working last week.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
A very good way to avoid Rouen is to use La Mailleraye-sur-Seine as an overnight stop.
Driving south on the A28 from Abbeville leave at J11 onto the D929 through Totes, Yerville and Yvetot. Cross the Seine on the Pont de Brotonne and just a few km to La Mailleraye.
Super little town with a large aire (€6 for 2 people, but free this time of year) right on the bank of the river.
It's a few more km than battling through Rouen but a very quiet and restful stop.
IMG_2040.jpg

Richard.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Took a slightly different route back rather than the best route that GC offered. Followed the A63 from Bayonne north as far as Tours but then took the N10 to Chartres, Dreaux and Evreux and then to Rouen. Roads were ok but full of trucks and traffic islands by the dozens so not the best so not a strong recomendation from me. Also found Poitiers very time consuming with traffic. As for Rouen, missed one turning for A28 and then got stressed inside the city for ages.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
ANY HELP ON ROUTE THRO FRANCE

..........................................................Drive on the right works for me!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Clarky beat me to it ,I always go that way ,but I use the free aire at St Nicolas de Bliquetuit , I go Alencon , Le Mans ,Tours , Poitiers then bordeaux.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The last time I had reason to transit Rouen I went down the D18E alongside the Marshalling Yards. Also SP E46? (Map) 32ft R-V towing Car. I once went well out of my way by taking the wrong EXIT. (not amusing!). As I wanted to be on the N15 for an overnight. I turned off and crossed the Seine on the old D18. but if you want the A13 then Use D18E after the big Roundabout. There could be a Big Carrefor or something to the left..
As you exit the tunnel and head for the High (river) Bridge, you want to watch for your exit as missing it gets you into Rouen It`self!! Have a Look on Google Earth (49.429358, 1.100747) and see what I mean about the two exits being close together, you want the second one!. The map and driving notes are what I used in `08 and may be of use?.RouenMap.jpg RouenTxt.jpg

I always try to avoid Tolls if at all practicable, as I am no longer is a rush to get anywhere these days

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Rouen - a satnav will probably take you South along the river on the E46 which is fine. Ours has every time when heading the way you suggest.

Aires - north of Poitiers at Jaunay-Clan, not far off the autoroute there's a massive aire at Parc Futuroscope which doesn't cost much and there's always space. Height limit 3.5m though. Hypermarket with MH friendly petrol station close by.

Biarritz-Anglet-Bayonne area, the Anglet Boulevard des Plages aire isn't bad, not least for being near the beach. Open all year. In the high season there's also an aire just up the road at la Barre, next to the river Adour. Both well placed for exploring the area by foot, bus, or bike.

If you've got 3 weeks I'd suggest diverting to the Charente coast before Bordeaux - La Rochelle, La Palmyre, Ile de Re, Ile d'Oleron etc. Aires all over the place.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Clarky beat me to it ,I always go that way ,but I use the free aire at St Nicolas de Bliquetuit , I go Alencon , Le Mans ,Tours , Poitiers then bordeaux.

That always looks a nice spot but I do like my fresh morning croissants from one of the two boulangeries in La Mailleraye so we just have to go there. :D(y)

Richard.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
That always looks a nice spot but I do like my fresh morning croissants from one of the two boulangeries in La Mailleraye so we just have to go there. :D(y)

Richard.

Agree , we like that aire on our way back from hol's to just chill out . We've met some nice people there & spent some time just sat watching the variety of ships going up & down the Loire.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've been using the Rouen route for at least 10 years, never had a problem. Once through, pick up the A13 towards Paris, next junction take N154 to Nonancourt. Then it's the N12. I can't remember the rest of the route but I'm bringing my van home today and I have it all listed there.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I had problems first couple of times with getting through Rouen, last time being when the bridge was destroyed . Now I can get through Or around without any problems. These days when heading south I turn left immediately before the new bridge & run down with river on my right through the old industrial area .
I try to come North that way as well ,If I remember.

OP
OP
graham caswell
Dec 11, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
swift bessacar e480
Exp
since june 2016
hi clive thought the post was really good info can you tell me which MMM This was in date etc would like to try get hold of this copy
regards graham and jo

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
hi clive thought the post was really good info can you tell me which MMM This was in date etc would like to try get hold of this copy
regards graham and jo
It was The MMM guide to Motorhoming in France. Can't remember what month it came out but at a guess it was about 4 years ago

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The route you propose to use is fine, I use it all the time. If you take the non toll road from Calais to Abbeville you will saver a further 13€ plus. (Your Sat Nav should do this for you). Also, I understand your concern about Rouen. However it is now very simple indeed with a number of different options and again your Sat Nav should give you the best route. (As an aside, I enter Calais to Chateaudun in my Tom Tom sat nav, select non toll and the whole route for my first days driving is more or less exactly as stated in aboutFrance.com). For Rouen, I would advise staying on the A28 and cross the river on the bridge. As you cross the finale part of the river on the bridge there is an exit (signed Centre Ville) Do not take. (If you do, by accident just follow road and at first opportunity cross over to other side and head back towards bridge and stay on road). The next exit about 150-200 Mts further along, take this and swing down, around and under the bridge you have just left. Stay on this road untill you join the A13 toll road south of Rouen. Leave toll road at the A 154 for Evreux a little further along the A13. Toll fare less than 2 €. Now all the way to Tours on the N10 route and join the A10 at jct 19 (Follow directions for Bordeaux) and leave at Jct 23 (signed Montbazon) This gets you through the city of tours on the toll road and only costs 2.5€.
After that just following as stated in about France.com. For stop overs that's dependant on how long you want to drive. I do the whole lot in two days. I would recommend you get the paid version of Camper contact £6.00 which you can use off line and will provide you with several options along your route and also covers the whole of Europe to boot.
Safe travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back