any affordable & reliable mobile mechanic near E14? (1 Viewer)

Carioca123

Free Member
Mar 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Good morning everybody! First timer here. We own a Fiat Ducato 2.3 D Multijet 130 CI Carioca Motorhome 2008 and a couple of days ago the engine stopped working. It's got 100 k miles and it was running fine but "apparently" according to the garage where it is with now there was a problem with the timing belt and had to be replaced... Not quite convinced about it but, it has been checked by 4 different mobile mechanics and tried every single trick already but it won't fire. So now, the vehicle is sitting in a garage awaiting the decision to get the engine replaced or not but these guys do not want to open the head first to see if there is a real damage or not. Soooo.... Anyway, I can hardly find a good & reliable mechanic around who will take a look to the problem first before making any drastic decision. So I wonder if any of you kind gentlemen, would like to advice us on where to find someone who is a real professional? Also the labour around is expensive so we are looking for affordable prices. Thanks very much in advance for your time and advice! We need this info ASAP.

OP
OP
C

Carioca123

Free Member
Mar 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Thanks Figaro for the good wishes. Regarding the garage I'm on it... Looking to take it somewhere else. A reliable and affordable garage would be useful as well...

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
.."apparently" according to the garage where it is with now there was a problem with the timing belt and had to be replaced...
It's generally only when it breaks that one is aware that there's a problem with the timing belt, then it's usually a big problem.

it has been checked by 4 different mobile mechanics and tried every single trick already but it won't fire. So now, the vehicle is sitting in a garage awaiting the decision to get the engine replaced or not but these guys do not want to open the head first to see if there is a real damage or not.

It's not necessary to take the head off as a compression check on each cylinder can be done. With a diesel, if the valves are opening and closing and it has sufficient compression and fuel it'll run. All simple to check.
I can't believe how 4 different mechanics have failed to get it going or at least be able to diagnose the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Carioca123

Free Member
Mar 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Thanks for the tip Spriddler! About the mechanics, 2 of them ran a computer diagnostic and it showed low compression but because the diesel wasn't reaching the rail they thought it was a fuel system problem... Now the other 2, one said it was most likely the timing belt after we finally saw the fuel coming out the pipes and the other one was a young recovery guy who didn't know too much about anything. I guess we are not being lucky with this situation... Hopefully we can find the right guy to fix it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Find a commercial vehicle garage who do all the work for white van men persons around you. They tend to be cheaper. We take ours to a lorry service place. Not the cheapest, but a lot less than Fiat, and certainly reliable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Carioca123

Free Member
Mar 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Thanks meanders! Will look into that as well. Still searching for anybody who is willing to quote me first before getting into the job itself. I don't like surprises once they got their hands in it if you know what I mean...

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
I don't suggest this often nor should it be used without caution - Get some Easy Start or the Australian Start You B*****d, remove air filter and spray directly in to the air intake. Get some one to crank over the engine and spray some more. If it starts will show no problem with valves. If it dies quickly problem with fuel, or if you are very unlucky problem with ECU.
I guess the problem with timing belt is it has slipped a tooth or more, leading to the timing being out. If that is all the garage that fitted a new one did I suggest the timing is still out. If it don't start or at least sort of fire you have problems. Did any of the mechanics try this?
To the others reading this ES and SYB do not lubricate and should only be used as a last resort.
As said easy to test compression using glow plugs holes.

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Just a few things to try, these vans had a problem with the earth strap, connect a jump lead to the engine block and to the chassis then give it a try, there is a blue connector block under the fuse box check it isn't corroded, as said try to start it on a squirt of Easy Start. Can you hear the fuel pump start when you turn the ignition on. This is from memory when a mate had the same vehicle so I stand to be corrected on any of the points.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Carioca123

Free Member
Mar 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Thank you Clivefog! Unfortunately we have tried the ES at first and it didn't fire... I totally support your guess about the timing belt being out but at the moment I do not trust the garage because they're so willful to replace the engine without prior diagnostic (not even the compression test). Eventually if that's the case we'll see but it's a tough decision to make without considering very single option. At this point I doubt if they have done the timing belt properly too (vehicle is sitting on the street with the headlight removed and half finished) How to prove that?

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
When you find your mechanic in shining low loader let us know. Can't help there been in Bristol nearly 30 years now.

Was it running going to the garage?

As a free member you have a limited number of posts you can make (10?).

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
... a couple of days ago the engine stopped working. It's got 100 k miles and it was running fine but "apparently" according to the garage where it is with now there was a problem with the timing belt and had to be replaced...
When you say....' it was running fine but "apparently" but according to the garage where it is with now there was a problem with the timing belt and had to be replaced' do you mean it was running fine before the belt issue or after it was replaced when it now fails to start?
If a broken or stretched cam belt was the cause of the engine stopping but it fails to start after cam belt replacement (even using Easy Start) it would almost certainly be because a valve and/or piston or two were damaged when the belt broke/slipped. This can be found easily by a compression test using the heater plug access. No need to remove the head. If a piston(s) is damaged it could well have damaged the cylinder bore(s) and/or cyl head so a replacement engine would be the most practical route to go.

When you say E14 assume you mean in that area of London. Do you not know someone who can recommend a repairer to whom it can be taken? However, you are already in for around £350 for the cam belt replacement so another towing cost wouldn't be desirable but your repairer sounds a bit iffy: 'parked in the road with a headlamp removed'.

Shame you only have 5 free posts as I'd be interested in the outcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back