Antique shops & good auction houses (1 Viewer)

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hey everyone,

I joined here full time last night and have been overwhelmed by the well wishes and support I have recieved so thank you so much to everyone who messaged to welcome me aboard ?.

For anyone who has not read my opening post from yesterday my name is Dan and I am a full timer living wild in a Chausson motorhome in the North East. I am very new to this way of living but taking to it well (I think anyway) no doubt I will be needing lots of help and advice along the way though.

The point of this post though is to ask for some help about the way I am financing my new lifestyle. I am currently buying and selling antiques and collectables online and at fairs and markets and also in a couple of country retail outlets. But I would like to travel the UK and possibly into Europe to buy stock. Can anyone recommend any good antique shops/centres and or good auction houses near them that are worth a possible visit?

Much appreciated ?

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I used to buy clearance lots at farmers deadstock auctions. There is one in West Meon that I used. They have two sales. The Spring one is good for selling, and the Winter one is good for buying. I stopped using them a couple of years ago, as the fees were getting a bit high. You have to watch out for theft as well, As the auctions are help in fields, and a lot of people are wandering around, then smaller items can be taken easily. Don't leave keys on motor powered equipment either. They key will be stolen so that the item can't be started, and thus it sells for a lower price.

If you have got some storage space, then garage clearances are a great way to find items. Metal that you don't want can go to the scrap yard, and you will know how to get rid of the collectables. It's the rubbish that is the problem. You can pay to take it to a commercial site, or work out a deal with a local householder. In some cases the garage owner will dispose of the rubbish for you. Especially if you pay him for the tools and other quality stuff.

Take care not to overstock if you rent or buy garages for storage. I've got eight at the moment full of stuff like stationary engines and old motor bikes.

I'm cautious about selling on Ebay these days. I might try to get rid of some large items such as side boards for pick up trucks. I will probably offer delivery, or an arranged meeting in a McDonalds for buyers.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have a look at Newark on Trent - several auction houses, quite a few centres. There used to be a weekly open air auction on the car Park opposite the cattle market. I assume it still goes on plus the big antique fairs several times a year at Newark showground which is a couple of miles out of town. Nearby fairs at the old RAF Swinderby as well & Hemswell Cliff not far from Lincoln (which isn't too far from Newark)

A few to give you an idea. Also

If you're carrying on & get to Nottingham

Best of luck ?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There are hundreds of Brocantes in France. A lot of people make a lot of money buying stuff here, shipping it back to the UK and selling it there.
I’ve visited many antique shops in the UK, one of the best is in Ely, but prices in the UK are so high, you would be lucky to make a profit on anything you buy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Wild Brambles very informative. I'd struggle with large garage clearance as don't have the space at moment and don't want to take on more costs yet like a garage or storage but I will keep farm sales in mind for bargains. ?

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Debs... I'll take a look at these now much appreciated ?

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Allanm agreed prices here getting very high and hard to find a bargain but it can still be done trust me. But I plan to venture to France and Belgium for markets hopefully in summer 2020 ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have a look at this, they have online auctions every week , loads of dealers buy stuff to sell on.
Not antiques, but new shop returns mainly.

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wild Brambles ...no I didn't see the garage pic where is it? Have you a link to it?

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
chaser this looks a great shout thanks I'll save website in favorites and keep my eye on the sales looks some good stuff!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
chaser this looks a great shout thanks I'll save website in favorites and keep my eye on the sales looks some good stuff!
My lad buys stuff most weeks , sometimes the stuff is broken but most of it is things that have been returned to John Lewis from people who changed their minds.
He just come back with some ratton garden furniture, should be over a grand for £102, brand new.

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
chaser sounds a total steel at that I've had a quick flick through looks loads of good stuff. ?

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wild Brambles yes I've bought some retail pallets off eBay in the past and done alright off them, have not ventured onto Amazon yet but it could with a look ?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If you go to France, as well as the Brocantes mentioned above it’s worth visiting Vide Greniers. Held mostly in the summer ( a few held near Christmas) they are like boot sales but a “one off” in villages, usually held when that village has its annual feast week. ( look for en fete signs) Locals sell the stuff from their homes and have trestle tables out in the streets. I’m still using vintage linen sheets I bought for less than €10. I’ve also bought crystal wine glasses for €1 each, coffee grinders for €2-3. Always lots of furniture. Whichever department you are in there’ll be info online about which vides are on in the area.

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hollyberry that's great thank you those sound the sort of places and sales where the real gems and bargains will be. It will be the summer time I'll probably pluck up the courage to venture out that way. Will probably take a friend or even my dad who loves a car boot type thing with me for the trip ?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
My lad buys stuff most weeks , sometimes the stuff is broken but most of it is things that have been returned to John Lewis from people who changed their minds.
He just come back with some ratton garden furniture, should be over a grand for £102, brand new.
My brother in law got addicted to their sales - ended up having to take a lease on a unit once he'd filled his garage & workshop to the brim. Also our neighbour has a real Aladins cave in the lower story of his bungalow - all purchases from John pye be careful you don't get carried away ?

Hollyberry's info sounds great!

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Debs yes I know all to well about addiction when buying stock you can get carried away! I am alot more reserved now and usually only buy with someone in mind or I know it will go well online. I have quite a few international buyers who I buy from and sell to on ebay and know the type of thing they are looking for which helps when I do go hunting at sales and auctions. ?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hollyberry that's great thank you those sound the sort of places and sales where the real gems and bargains will be. It will be the summer time I'll probably pluck up the courage to venture out that way. Will probably take a friend or even my dad who loves a car boot type thing with me for the trip ?

You just need basic French, numbers, it’s ok to haggle unless it’s just €1-2. As long as you say Bonjour, Merci, Bonne journee you’ll be ok. There’s always a good atmosphere and it’s interesting seeing the other things on I the fete week.
My village always had pony rides for kids and a small fair, another village nearby had a fishing contest each year and another had a tea dance and a gymkhana. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hollyberry sounds great fun when I make the trips abroad I will certainly make the most of things going on around me and hopefully join in on a few things. Time to brush up on the old French I think though ?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm a regular around Northern France, starting around Dieppe area which is my arrival port - about a 25 minute drive for me from Sussex. :xsmile:
Have a look here for sites and dates. There are loads of vide-greniers and brocantes listed:

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Spriddler excellent thank you for this i will indeed take a look.. i plan to spend a good few weeks over in France and possibly head to Belgium also as I hear the brugge markets are also very good. Do you manage to pick up some good stuff in Dieppe? I am guessing so if you go back alot ?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Dantheman I spend two or three weeks at a time and focus on porcelain and wooden items (small rural/agricultural or peasant type stuff; aka 'Trendy tat') mainly because that's my interest as a hobby. It seems to do well here. I didn't start doing it to earn a living but as an added interest during trips and I rarely have difficulty turning a profit even after my ferry fare and fuel, any site fees, food and quite a few meals out.
I did very well at Arras market with a load of WW1 military stuff (ammo boxes, real not fake trench art etc.) until I came back to the m/h as according to a shopkeeper whilst I was away a hit 'n run market trader reversed his rental van into my m/h breaking the large side window which has just cost me £414 to replace.

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Spriddler ... I was just about to like the post until I read about the damage to your motorhome ? that's not good at all. But I love trench art..the real deal stuff that is like you say. It's pretty hot at the moment if you can get the right stuff. Does sound some very interesting stuff and worth the trip. Once the spring/summer comes along I'll be ready to venture out there I think it's just plucking up the courage to do it and possibley alone which maybe abit daunting.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I’ve had to stop going to auctions, I’ve got sheds full of sh*t lovely stuff that I can’t be bothered selling. Keep it small, keep it tasty, keep it unique buy the best of its kind and only buy what you like. If you like it chances are someone else will and if they don’t at least you can live with it. On the odd occasion I go to auctions now, I restrict it to quirky things like a WW2 German storm troopers helmet :unsure: don’t ask, or things for the grandkids, like a box of 50 lead soldiers from WW1, or the incredibly odd like a fossilised dinosaur turd, well that was the description, not sure I’ll be able to prove it but at least until disproved I can say I’m the only man I know that can polish a turd!:eek::giggle:

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
dabhand ...sounds some interesting buys. I have a dealer who comes into one of the retail outlets I sell in who deals in ww1 and pre war lead soldiers he has some amazing stuff. Like the sound of the German stormtrooper helmet! I bought a very nice German SS and Hitler youth job lot a few months back that I did very well on but alot of that stuff gives me the creeps!
I'm planning on hitting some of the Northern Scottish auctions when the weather gets better as I'm told some of the smaller auctions houses have some gems quite often and not the footfall to but them!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
The problem is I can’t resist bidding, take a look at this, I bid 10k on one once because I thought it was cheap, I had no way of moving it, no where to put it, and at the time, absolutely no use for it whatsoever. I didn’t even have anybody to sell it on to! There is no logic to it.

04B679EB-3776-4F14-B188-3C7AC19CE3AD.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back