Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
Would a padlock type lock be better than say a Fiamma type door/ frame lock for a rear garage door?
We don’t have a new MH and I would have no problem in fitting one if it meant the garage would be more secure, although I might think twice if we had a new MH.
I know some of you will probably say no due to the look, but I’m more concerned about the practical side of things and if done right I think it could look neat and tidy and just as nice. I’d match the colour with the exterior.

Thanks in advance

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Sadly, additional locks are only likely to increase the amount of damage done to the vehicle in the event of a break in.
Armed with a screwdriver or crowbar, a thief will take seconds to gain entry, additional locks or not...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jammel1980

Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
I like the look of the
Shackleless Hasp & Padlock
Thanks

It’s nice and neat too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jammel1980

Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
I am hoping that an additional lock on the garage would put off the opportunist theif and force them to move onto my neighbours less secure van. However I know that if someone really wants to get inside they will but this will make it more difficult for them to break into our garage and they would have to make a lot of noise. If we were in the van then we would hear them, whereas if they just had to pick a simple factory fitted lock we probably wouldn’t.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I am hoping that an additional lock on the garage would put off the opportunist theif and force them to move onto my neighbours less secure van. However I know that if someone really wants to get inside they will but this will make it more difficult for them to break into our garage and they would have to make a lot of noise. If we were in the van then we would hear them, whereas if they just had to pick a simple factory fitted lock we probably wouldn’t.
Why not fit a door alarm on, as others have said on here, locks are only a deterrent.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A standard Thatcham alarm system, which is required by most insurance companies, can include all opening doors and compartments on your van, including the bonnet, should someone wish to steal your engine. Mine, like most also includes a break wire alarm for bikes.
Before you buy any van please check out if you need or the van includes a Thatcham alarm system. If not, Eddies 'Van Bitz' can supply and fit a system or perhaps improve any existing system to cover your concerns. Their alarms, if they go off, cannot be ignored.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If I was in your position and worried about this I would get two internal lock fitted as I had on a works van. Because the Ford locks are so poor my company had these locks fitted to all doors ( a total pain in the arse they were too) no more pressing the button to open the doors, they locked into the door frame. Don't know what the are called but Google van door security, I'm sure they will be there.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back