Another insurance question (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Hi

I've been insured through comfort for the past couple of years and not had any problems (but I've also not had to claim either). I like them as they include breakdown with the policy. Their renewal has just come through at £325.00 for the next year. We've not called them yet to negotiate this downwards but I also looked on comparethemarket.com to get an idea of what else was around.

Adrian Flux is coming in at around the same price but plus breakdown. There is a company on there giving a quote of £211, has anyone had any dealings with 'Grove and Dean'? I've never heard of them and the price seems a little too good to be true as it includes breakdown too.

Any guidance or previous experience is appreciated.

Mike

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Grove and dean are a well known motorhome insurance broker. Just about to join the saga gang after a recent post on here. At the moment cheaper than any I can find

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I got good prices from Saga for years until, out of the blue and for no good reason, they doubled the price.

Phoned them expecting to do a bit of persuading but they wouldn't budge.

I think a few insurance companies have introductory offers instead of looking after their existing customers. No probs - I have the time to do the comparisons each year.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
As mentioned in a previous thread. Try LV insurance but, call them. Note the windscreen cover levels mentioned above, particularly if you have an A-Class. 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I looked around this year when comfort sent the renewal but after comparing the amount of cover and adding breakdown to the others they couldn’t get close.

My wife joined a Facebook group (free) and got a 5% discount code for the comfort insurance premium. Not a lot but a saving for the sake of 1 minute. Ours ended up about £6 more than last year.

OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
I looked around this year when comfort sent the renewal but after comparing the amount of cover and adding breakdown to the others they couldn’t get close.

My wife joined a Facebook group (free) and got a 5% discount code for the comfort insurance premium. Not a lot but a saving for the sake of 1 minute. Ours ended up about £6 more than last year.
Hi

Thanks for the info. It's interesting because Grove and Dean appear to be reputable and have the same excess on windscreens as Comfort. They also cover breakdown but its coming in at £110 less than Comfort.

I'm wondering if I've been paying over the odds for the past few years as C&CC insurance is quoted at £183 for the year but this doesn't include breakdown.

Decisions, decisions!

Mike

OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Grove and dean are a well known motorhome insurance broker. Just about to join the saga gang after a recent post on here. At the moment cheaper than any I can find
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I just tried Saga too but they are coming in at £50 more expensive at the moment. I guess it's all about age and where you live but I'm very tempted by the Grove and Dean price.

Cheers

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do a quick comparison on Asda Money site, I used that and it came up with Lifesure for us, same cover as C&MC but £90 cheaper! We didn't bother with breakdown as we don't need it yes but they do it for £99, you can though probably get that cheaper as a stand alone policy.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Same thing happened to me Janine, so I went on compare site and guess who I chose,
yes you got it, Saga @ £100 pounds cheaper, even got the same girl on the 'phone. I told her of the {saga, sorry couldn't resist} no problem she said!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When Comfort's premium suddenly jumped with no reason given I checked around - my main concern was getting Morocco cover as many were refusing it. Saga not only beat Comfort (not by a lot I admit) but included Morocco at no extra cost and a guaranteed premium for 3 years.

Comfort wanted a stupid amount for Morocco and when I queried it, the reply was along the lines of "we haven't been charging enough"!

But aside from this, I've noticed over the years that insurance premiums can vary by extraordinary amounts for what seems to be the same cover and for no apparent reason. Chancers? Time of day (month!)? Weather? Male/female?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When Comfort's premium suddenly jumped with no reason given I checked around - my main concern was getting Morocco cover as many were refusing it. Saga not only beat Comfort (not by a lot I admit) but included Morocco at no extra cost and a guaranteed premium for 3 years.

Comfort wanted a stupid amount for Morocco and when I queried it, the reply was along the lines of "we haven't been charging enough"!

But aside from this, I've noticed over the years that insurance premiums can vary by extraordinary amounts for what seems to be the same cover and for no apparent reason. Chancers? Time of day (month!)? Weather? Male/female?
Comfort changed their underwriters and the premiums went up a lot from that point onwards, I suspect they may have lost a lot of MHers due to that.

seamus62

Free Member
Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I've used Grove & Dean (via Go Compare) but can't give much information as we are new MH owners so have nothing to compare them against. Theirs was the cheapest quote we had. We've not had to claim but the purchase was straightforward and they insist on a voice call walk though of the policy before it is confirmed so you can't do it all online only.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back