Another CMC thread (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I know there has been a lot about the Caravan and Motorhome Club recently. There has been much about officious wardens, prices and the new booking system. I wanted to reflect changes in our practice due to the deposit system and hear the experience of others because I am sure it has lost them revenue, at least in our case.

We tend to go away most months, and apart from two European trips we traditionally we booked CMC sites, usually well in advance throughout the year. It was to be honest laziness, the rules can be a little wearing but the standard was reasonable if predictable. It was very unusual for us to cancel, rather it was just the easy way to get a few days away. The lack of deposit kept the money in our account and offset some of the negatives with their sites (all sites have their minuses). Since the change to deposits we have found we leave things later and see what else there is. Our logic being if we have to pay a deposit let's check there isn't a better site, whereas previously the lack of deposit was a positive by comparison and made them the easiest option. The result is we are using them much less. In effect the new system has motivated us to look a bit harder at where we are going, how much we are paying, the available facilities and make a comparison. In our case at least, the system has backfired and resulted in two or three weeks less bookings. Not through dissatisfaction, just because we may as well research a bit more if we are paying a deposit.

I know many dislike the CMC while others love them and I wasn't seeking to reopen that debate. I was looking to understand whether the change to the booking process has led others to alter their approach and whether that is perhaps the reason they are not as busy (reportedly). It could equally be the state of the economy, or we are unusual.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Possibly, however for some reason we thought the deposits system was coming in much earlier in the year, so our experience is across the year, albeit because we didn't realise. We also often book up through the winter and are seeing more availability than previously.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The new system has made no difference to us. Last week we spent a few days at the Melrose CMC site, wardens very friendly as usual and the site was in good order as expected. Splendid pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord at the Kings Arms which was a bonus.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
It's made no difference to us, we only look a month or two ahead so if anything I expect to have more choice as the 'selfish' multiple bookings 'just in case' won't be clogging up the booking system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
It's not changed my booking habits as yet because I have yet to make a booking on a club site under their new requirements of a deposit.
However, as someone who is in full time employment and working shifts, I am limited to when I can travel. Normally, this will be over a weekend or during school holidays.
I found it very frustrating that the CAMC used to allow members to pre-book sites months in advance and then cancel them a few days prior to their arrival. So someone like me who would look at their shifts and then look at free weekends/holidays and try to make bookings for popular places like York for instance, would be near on impossible of getting availability.
So much so that I questioned having their membership.
I've kept hold of it for the member discounts on ferry's etc. but can also get the same deal with C&CC membership, but also for the CL's.
Time will tell regarding bookings for the club sites to see if it does stop people booking and not travelling.
I'm hoping it will be a positive change - for us anyway.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I know there has been a lot about the Caravan and Motorhome Club recently. There has been much about officious wardens, prices and the new booking system. I wanted to reflect changes in our practice due to the deposit system and hear the experience of others because I am sure it has lost them revenue, at least in our case.

We tend to go away most months, and apart from two European trips we traditionally we booked CMC sites, usually well in advance throughout the year. It was to be honest laziness, the rules can be a little wearing but the standard was reasonable if predictable. It was very unusual for us to cancel, rather it was just the easy way to get a few days away. The lack of deposit kept the money in our account and offset some of the negatives with their sites (all sites have their minuses). Since the change to deposits we have found we leave things later and see what else there is. Our logic being if we have to pay a deposit let's check there isn't a better site, whereas previously the lack of deposit was a positive by comparison and made them the easiest option. The result is we are using them much less. In effect the new system has motivated us to look a bit harder at where we are going, how much we are paying, the available facilities and make a comparison. In our case at least, the system has backfired and resulted in two or three weeks less bookings. Not through dissatisfaction, just because we may as well research a bit more if we are paying a deposit.

I know many dislike the CMC while others love them and I wasn't seeking to reopen that debate. I was looking to understand whether the change to the booking process has led others to alter their approach and whether that is perhaps the reason they are not as busy (reportedly). It could equally be the state of the economy, or we are unusual.
Almost exactly the same for us however have yet to make a booking on the new website as yet which is unusual for us as we're normally booked pushing on a year in advance.

Prior to the introduction of the new website \ deposit scheme we did, like yourself, look at alternative options and the Club "lost out" on around 50% of the funds we would have spent with them.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I've only used the club sites occasionally, normally use the CL's

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
The deposit system must be working then, as this was meant to free up space for everyone to get a chance of a pitch.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
It may be although it wasn’t what I was getting at. I wondered whether others like me were sometimes booking other sites prompted by the deposit process. In my case because it has motivated us to check the alternatives before booking, whereas before the easy option was to go with the club.

I’m not criticising the idea behind deposits, instead wondering whether it might result in lost revenue for the club. In some cases that would appear to be the case by the sound of it. A change to a business model that reduces income is obviously not good news, and if it is a club the members should be worried. I guess it boils down to whether there were more spaces due to cancelled bookings than the due to the new process. For all I know bookings may be up.

I wonder if anyone from the cub could tell us.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Not an answer to the question, but more background perhaps form before deposits this year.

I was trying to book 10 days at Bristol (site due to close) and I could only get 4 nights, so I booked them but kept checking back. As the dates got closer another couple of nights came free, and then some more ... it was obviously people dropping out that had pre-booked. Whilst somewhere like Baltic Wharf or York Rowntree have a chance of selling those spaces late I suspect that 90 odd % of sites would have un-sold vacancies that might have been sold to members if they hadn't been block booked without deposits.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Unless it's a massive site and it's 'off' season, I'd always be wary of any site that did not take either payment in full or a deposit up front with any booking.

The days of 'just turning up' and 'putting a £10 note in an envelope' payment systems will go from all but the smallest sites in the next couple of years.

It will all be booking online with online payment up front.
This has been normal for big sites in high season for years.
It's the one place where 'trickle down economics' may actually work!

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
Exp
Since 2013
We tend to book last minute for a local few days away. I tried looking at the C&MC website last Monday with a view to being away this weekend just gone. The new website is diabolical, when looking for locations it reeled up a very long global list, not the easily filtered UK locations previously offered when wanting a UK site. I was using an android tablet and web pages continually bounced around, dropped out and generally made it impossible to make a choice of site, let alone find availability or make a booking. I booked direct with a favourite independent site instead and made C&MC aware of my experience. I am still waiting for their response.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Won't make any difference to us and we also like the CAMC like many others as they are pretty full at most sites

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Well I think I’ve used the CAMC for the last time. When my membership runs out I won’t be renewing it! This new website and booking system is simply horrific. Last week I tried 3 times to book a site and 3 times the system froze when I tried to pay. I put my details in 3 frigging times and every time absolutely nothing happened. They can get stuffed as far as I’m concerned from now on. I’ve had enough.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Different experience to many on here, we regularly use both CAMC and CCC, find the wardens friendly and helpful and haven’t yet had any issues on the new booking site, lucky I guess. Off to Ayr Craigie Gardens at the weekend, and booked for 3 weeks at ccc Chertsey in November, mix of work and family.
Sites are always busy and full of happy contented campers !! 😀

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Oh don’t get me wrong, I’ve always found the wardens to be fantastic and the majority of the sites I go to are superb too but this new booking system was thought out and designed by two year old. Complete and utter incompetence from what is supposed to be the premier caravan and motorhome club. The management team pay themselves a blooming fortune and the roll this crap out. No, I don’t think so. Not for me anymore. I absolutely HATE incompetence by management.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Oh don’t get me wrong, I’ve always found the wardens to be fantastic and the majority of the sites I go to are superb too but this new booking system was thought out and designed by two year old. Complete and utter incompetence from what is supposed to be the premier caravan and motorhome club. The management team pay themselves a blooming fortune and the roll this crap out. No, I don’t think so. Not for me anymore. I absolutely HATE incompetence by management.
Ditto, have always found the wardens to be helpful & courteous and sites good, albeit a bit sterile in some cases. There was a time when that was an attractive package, but combination of the new booking arrangements and massively hiked site fees is a big turn-off. I remain a reluctant member but only for CL access. Seems to me there are two elements in CMC; 1) site staff who are generally fine and 2) HQ management staff whose competence is suspect. The extent to which they’ve alienated members with their antics in recent weeks is quite remarkable - take a look at Trustpilot. More recently they’ve taken to wasting large sums on consultants (presumably because they can’t figure things themselves), a sure sign an organisation is doomed! Seems to me that changes at the top are required, as a wise old boss of mine used to say “the team that got you into trouble isn’t the one you need to get you out of trouble”.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Have all the disgruntled members completed their AGM voting forms?

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Personally, I am more relaxed about booking a CMC site now because I believe there is a greater chance of securing a pitch at much shorter notice than before deposits were required. I don't have to make a decision right now to ensure I get a pitch where i want it, and can book it at leisure.
Maybe that's why bookings seem down at the moment. No need to rush into booking anymore.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back