Another 150 QB question - TV this time (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We are trying to come up with an options list for a 150QB (thanks for those with info about the bed position). We are not sure about where to best put any TV we might add. Carthago list options for both lounge and bedroom but having both added will add £1000 to the (already large) total! So options are:
1. Plump for the lounge option and do fittings myself for bedroom if we decide later
2. Plump for the bedroom and do fittings myself for the lounge later
3. Order neither and fit what we decide would be best at a later date.

Has anyone fitted their own TV in either position? I assume that there is a void behind the side seat anyway regardless of whether a TV option has been chosen. If not then I'll have to order the lounge TV fittings as I'm not into remodelling the interior!). Obviously cabling will need installing (I don't have a problem with that) for 12V and antenna (where do Carthago put their TV antenna?). It would be easy to say get Carthago to fit both but I can fit bigger solar/batteries with the several £100 saving.

We can't even decide between the "I" or the "T" version. We've not driven an A class before. What have other's experience been and reasons for choosing one over the other?

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Is there anything on TV worth watching?

Craig
Good point! But there's always DVDs
We went from coach built to A class and would not go back the A class cab is so much more comfortable and draught proof and roomy😊
I get the roomy bit but how was it less draughty? Better seals?
How did you adapt to driving in the bigger cab? (I know the coach bit is the same size but it sitting in the driving seat seems kind of intimidating!)

Gazz Kaz+Spag

LIFE MEMBER
May 2, 2018
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
We've just changed to a Carthago A class from another make semi integrated. The main reason for changing was for an A class. It just works better in the cab area when parked up. More room cooler in summer and warmer in winter. There was always a cold spot before. We have a TV in both locations and have not used the bedroom TV yet. I think wiring is already there to add later if needed but may be wrong. The lounge TV is also a lot bigger and you could always use a tablet or phone to stream in bed instead and save your money. We also had a TV in bedroom in last MH but again never used it.

Gazz Kaz+Spag

LIFE MEMBER
May 2, 2018
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
How did you adapt to driving in the bigger cab? (I know the coach bit is the same size but it sitting in the driving seat seems kind of intimidating!)
Our old MH was the same width just stuck out after cab so its now easier to drive as you know the width from where your sat and not further down the van. The cab of a semi isn't as well insulated and there is normally heating inside the cab area in a semi there isnt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
The TV installation in lounge area is quite involved linked in with the cab head unit, also on a lift up framework, wouldn't be an easy / nice job to replicate after build.
A class or low profile, I've had more than a few of each and currently a low profile (T version), for me both have advantages and disadvantages, my latest choice was predominantly decided by what was available (used not new) and being almost impossible to find an A with no drop down bed.
The extra space comment is only really relevant between you and the windscreen and on the sides of front seats, as the gap between driver and passenger is exactly the same for either choice, not really useable space, and bit like a solarium when driving in full sun, cab aircon will keep you relatively cool but when you stop, if you've not got external silver screens you'll boil, Oh and of course if using the cab drop down cold in winter hot in summer.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The TV installation in lounge area is quite involved linked in with the cab head unit, also on a lift up framework, wouldn't be an easy / nice job to replicate after build.
A class or low profile, I've had more than a few of each and currently a low profile (T version), for me both have advantages and disadvantages, my latest choice was predominantly decided by what was available (used not new) and being almost impossible to find an A with no drop down bed.
The extra space comment is only really relevant between you and the windscreen and on the sides of front seats, as the gap between driver and passenger is exactly the same for either choice, not really useable space, and bit like a solarium when driving in full sun, cab aircon will keep you relatively cool but when you stop, if you've not got external silver screens you'll boil, Oh and of course if using the cab drop down cold in winter hot in summer.
I buy A class vans primarily for the driving view and the drop-down bed. All the vans I've had have had internal blinds with the present one having an electric windscreen blind. It has ALDE radiators in the cab. It's unwise to park any motorhome with the front facing South.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Quite the opposite, the A Class is much easier to drive. The width of the vehicle is obvious as you approach narrow spaces, no need to make a mental adjustment to allow for the bulging sides just behind you.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
An interesting comment. We had considered waiting until next year when "things" get back to nearly normal and buying second hand. Maybe a good second hand market perhaps. But we don't want a drop down bed!! Of the A class vans we have seen online they all have drop down beds so interesting that you confirm this.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
I buy A class vans primarily for the driving view and the drop-down bed. All the vans I've had have had internal blinds with the present one having an electric windscreen blind. It has ALDE radiators in the cab. It's unwise to park any motorhome with the front facing South.
Of my A class ownership, like you they have all had either screens of one type of another and the last 2 with the electric blind type, you cannot deny that when it's hot and sunny they do not stop the interior heating up, only external screen covers help with that element. I've owned 3 with Alde heating and agree that does help in cold winters.
As to direction of parking not always possible to choose how you park, and not possible to always choose your direction of travel.

Drop down bed A class, in the past I have managed to find and own 3, 2 Pilote and 1 Frankia but they have to be specified that way by the original buyer, not many go for that option, hence few about.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Good point! But there's always DVDs

Coach builds usually have gaps between Cab and back end and invariably are draughty we had two that were very cold in the winter and had to put curtains between cab and living space whereas the A class is built on a chassis cab and all in one so no draughty joints.
the driving is just an optical thing you are still in the same position it’s just that you don’t have a bonnet and overhead overhang in front and that extra space makes all the difference😊😊 it’s surprising how easy to drive they are you should take a test drive in one😊🤔

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Lockers far more useful and more headroom!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We specified cupboards and no bed on our Compactline for the benefit of storage and appearance. We are both shorties so headroom is not an issue but leaving the bed out creates a much greater sense of space. It also means we can spread belongings out around the cupboards rather than cramming them all into one.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
We took a new van off the forecourt with drop-down bed over the cab and it was the one compromise we had to make. We will probably never use it, but the chance of finding one on the forecourt to buy without a drop-down bed was deemed almost too impossible to consider. I am almost 6' tall and do have to duck slightly to be underneath it, but as I am about to be sitting down anyway, it isn't too much of an issue. Definitely would order a new one from the factory without a drop-down bed though, we do miss the lack of cupboard space at the front that the bed robs us of.

Easy to drive, nothing to be intimidated about at all IMO. Haven't yet had to experience the greenhouse effect :unsure: but can see how it might get a little warm! As for theTV, we have the lounge install only, not watched anything on it yet in earnest. It does rattle a bit inside the seat housing, especially when on poor road surfaces. We were advised that the sliding privacy door on the i150 was prone to problems with the sliding cabling required for the TV installation and having looked at its construction, I can understand why it would be difficult to keep it working 100% all of the time.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our A class bought from stock also has a drop down bed which we have never used. We find it very useful for storing towels, spare bedding, clothes etc especially if you are trying to move weight from the back to the front because of high loads on the rear axle.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Our A class bought from stock also has a drop down bed which we have never used. We find it very useful for storing towels, spare bedding, clothes etc especially if you are trying to move weight from the back to the front because of high loads on the rear axle.
Did you leave the mattress in place or was that removed and replaced with a thin covering of some sort?

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Pretty sure ours has the same plastic springy things, and yep, that would make it a challenge to cope with storing stuff on top without some form of board covering. It's too early in our ownership to make the change, but it's on the radar as a possible mod if we need extra "in van" storage as opposed to "under van". A bit reluctant to keep opening and closing the pull-down bed as it takes an age to stop the incessant clonky knocking sounds when driving along if all of the "Mod #6 Packers" aren't suitably positioned in place :rolleyes:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If not then I'll have to order the lounge TV fittings as I'm not into remodelling the interior!). Obviously cabling will need installing (I don't have a problem with that) for 12V and antenna (where do Carthago put their TV antenna?)
I think you will find one of the basic packs includes wiring for the TV, The actual TV option like all German vans is well over priced & I'm not a fan of the Alphatronics TV's they fit, due to German data restrictions they can be a pig to set up. Fitting yourself if the TV is behind the seat your choice of TV's will be very limited.
The whip aerial on the roof also does the TV you just need to enable 5v antenna power in the TV settings to power the built in amplifier.
We can't even decide between the "I" or the "T" version. We've not driven an A class before. What have other's experience been and reasons for choosing one over the other?
A Class much easier to drive, easier to get through tight gaps & to reverse due to the flat sides & better view of the road. Cab insulation is far better & they are quieter. Although they look daunting the first time you get in an A Class cab the seating position is exactly the same as a C class van, the same distance from the front & body sides it's just an illusion that you are further away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I think you will find one of the basic packs includes wiring for the TV, The actual TV option like all German vans is well over priced & I'm not a fan of the Alphatronics TV's they fit, due to German data restrictions they can be a pig to set up. Fitting yourself if the TV is behind the seat your choice of TV's will be very limited.
Definitely not buying the TV. Just thought about the wiring plus the pull out system as I'm not sure how easy it will be to get hold of a "thin" mechanism that fits in the space. The "Comfort pack" did have the TV pull out system included but the Chassis and Comfort pack have now been replaced (for 2022) with a "Basic Plus" package which doesn't have this in. It does however have others, like a radio, which were not in the previous packs. As I don't know the actual gap to fit the TV/lift mechanism in it's a bit difficult to judge how available the component parts are (currently have a Finlux 21 inch TV/DVD on a drop down in our Burstner).

Thanks for the reassurance of about the A class.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Definitely not buying the TV. Just thought about the wiring plus the pull out system as I'm not sure how easy it will be to get hold of a "thin" mechanism that fits in the space. The "Comfort pack" did have the TV pull out system included but the Chassis and Comfort pack have now been replaced (for 2022) with a "Basic Plus" package which doesn't have this in. It does however have others, like a radio, which were not in the previous packs. As I don't know the actual gap to fit the TV/lift mechanism in it's a bit difficult to judge how available the component parts are (currently have a Finlux 21 inch TV/DVD on a drop down in our Burstner).

Thanks for the reassurance of about the A class.
Generally the wiring is fairly easy in German vans, they don't bury cables in the walls, all done in trunking or voids behind cupboards so not that difficult to wire yourself.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
We have a 149 LE A Class so singles at the rear.
We noticed a huge difference going from our previous C-Class regarding view and noise, the view out is wonderful and very close the view from the front of a coach but less high ;-) More space and offside footwell swallows lots of beer / wine before it goes into the fridge. The dash does get hot in the sun, good in Winter but less so in Summer, some have made covers to stop the black dash absorbing the heat. We wouldn't go back to a T class now.
Tv wise it is tricky.. if you don't order the lounge Tv you don't get the lift or any of the fittings and is a PITA to fit and as a mate found out an expensive bracket to order. The whip aerial feeds the FM and Dab, Tv aerial is a small puck over the drivers head hidden in the offside wall behind the bed / lockers. It is powered by the Tv so if you don't spec the TV you will need one with 5v out to the aerial. I quite like the Alphatronics Tv picture and GUI but some don't, some of the newer ones don't have speakers so you have to use the head unit (power hungry) or use a small speaker connected via headphone or BT, (better than the head unit for power consumption and Tv sound as the speakers are behind you when watching Tv with sound from HU and that can mess with your he'd whilst watching.)
If you spec the rear Tv Carthago only pre wire for Sat and not to the aerial in the roof so that would need splitting. Pretty crap I know but for some reason they think everyone uses sat signals when in the van. As far as I know they never pre wire for the rear Tv unless you spec the bedroom Tv, this includes power. I retro fitted a Tv into our bedroom and it was a bit of a faff but doable with cable runs across the roof and under the floor.
Good luck with the choices.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back