And in to Europe (1 Viewer)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Came to France via the tunnel two weeks ago and would never use the ferry again. LOVED the tunnel. So convenient and easy. Working our way slowly down to Malta (if they'll let us), currently just approaching Millau. Man, it's been lovely - had the roads completely to ourselves at times, plus the aires. Just need it to stop raining now and it'll be great!! It's been said on this site many times, but how much better are the French set up for motorhoming than we are in the UK? It's like night and day, bless 'em.
And other countries, Germany has a stellplatz (German term for Aire, for those who do not know) all over the place. Many are free and often in good positions re the town/village as are the aires

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
If you came from a country not on the quarantine list for example Germany. Then only traveled through Belgium and France straight to the tunnel then no you would not need to quarantine.
But donā€™t get out at Calais to check your dog in!!!

Apr 14, 2020
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Exp
Since 1995
Been travelling abroad for last 15 years, sometimes twice a year. I always think the part of the journey before you arrive on the continent is part of the adventure so modified Dover-Calais to Dover-Dunkirk as it gave us an extra hour on ferry to enjoy meal. Then tried overnighting from Portsmouth and never looked back. This crossing facilitates an early start the following day which allows for a more ambitious first dayā€™s travelling. Usually aim for Portsmouth-Le Havre but have recently done Portsmouth-Caen on Brittany Ferries. Lovely way to start the holiday.
One big attraction for the tunnel for me is with it only being 35 minutes my fridge freezer contents aren't compromised, I'm interested how do you deal with that aspect, do you just carry no perishables and restock later on?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We, no I did just that. Taking your dog into the pet reception doesnā€™t count towards quarantine. I have just return from Germany and done exactly this. Have you?

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
One big attraction for the tunnel for me is with it only being 35 minutes my fridge freezer contents aren't compromised, I'm interested how do you deal with that aspect, do you just carry no perishables and restock later on?

On the France-bound trip we purposely have an empty fridge and stock up with yummy French food when we stop (at least two hours from Calais).
On the return journey we usually do the reverse - stock up before we get to Calais. This time we are going to have to stock up in Greece as we have to transit through Italy and France being self contained and without having contact with anyone to avoid q14.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We, no I did just that. Taking your dog into the pet reception doesnā€™t count towards quarantine. I have just return from Germany and done exactly this. Have you?
No. I had heard that getting out the vehicle meant you had broken the ā€œin transitā€ rules. It good to learn that it isnā€™t.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I am always disappointed that you can never see fish out of the windows during the crossing.

we were once on the tunnel, in the same compartment as a coach on a school trip. i was talking to a teacher who said they had driven about 6 hours to get to the tunnel and the some kids were displaying 'kevin' fever .....

some of the kids got off and were looking out of the window and every now and again you can see a flash of light through the windows. i explained to the kids that what they were seeing were electric eels that were giving off electric flashes as they collided with the walls of the tunnel. Soon, virtually every one of them had their eyes glued to the windows looking for electric eels and the atmosphere changed completely from one of boredom to one of excited interest as they were shouting out everytime they saw a flash

The teachers couldnt thank me enough when they all finally reboarded the coach, renergised for the next leg of their journey !!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
On the France-bound trip we purposely have an empty fridge and stock up with yummy French food when we stop (at least two hours from Calais).
On the return journey we usually do the reverse - stock up before we get to Calais. This time we are going to have to stock up in Greece as we have to transit through Italy and France being self contained and without having contact with anyone to avoid q14.

Well you could route via Germany(free of UK restrictions for now) and if you spent 2 weeks there could go direct to Tunnel non-stop. It would cut down the long period self-contained.

Geoff

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
We got out yesterday with our dogs. I thought it was ok to do it šŸ¶šŸ¶šŸ™ƒ

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
The eurotunnel website says:

Broken Link Removed

Do I need to quarantine on arrival to the UK?
If you travel with us to the UK, from a country still on the "travel corridor" list, then you do not need to quarantine on arrival as long as you have not left your vehicle, or mixed with other people, during your journey (including on our French terminal).
If this applies to you, and you are travelling with a pet, please use our drive-thru pet check-in (open 06:00-23:30 CET) so you do not need to leave your vehicle.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The eurotunnel website says:

Broken Link Removed

Do I need to quarantine on arrival to the UK?
If you travel with us to the UK, from a country still on the "travel corridor" list, then you do not need to quarantine on arrival as long as you have not left your vehicle, or mixed with other people, during your journey (including on our French terminal).
If this applies to you, and you are travelling with a pet, please use our drive-thru pet check-in (open 06:00-23:30 CET) so you do not need to leave your vehicle.
The drive through wasnā€™t open when we came through a few weeks ago.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Sounds like it an improvement then. It was always the hole in the plan of driving through France holding your breath and crossing your legs. You had to get the dogs scanned....

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
We have found that a fully stocked freezer section stays frozen for a long journey. Wet travelled to Germany from our home in the West Midlands included among which was the stop in Dover to board the ferry for Calais and the freezers section was still frozen when we pulled up in Boppard on the Rhine south of Koblenz. Add in we had a stop for breakfast, coffee and lunch.

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Are you referring to the fish not seen out of the ferry windows or the tunnel train windows? If the latter you are at least 50 metres below the sea bed so the only fish you are likely to see would be fossils. Having done a fair bit of cruising the only fish I have seen re the flying fish or dolphins which are not fish but mammals

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
At the end of each carriage of the train, the roller shutter rolls all the way up to the roof, both door sections,including the glass, fold flat to the wall. There's enough room to drive even a full-size lorry the whole length of the train to the exit door.

You stay in your vehicle all the time. You can get out and walk around if you want,but there's nothing to see so it's a bit pointless. Your dog stays with you in the vehicle, no kennels etc. You could brew a cup of tea, except that the gas must be turned off.
Carry a good flask filled with boiling water. I do this at home in the mornig and have a decent hot drink at 8pm from the hot water. Another tip is to have a 12volt kettle so you could have guaranteed boiling water in the tunnel

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Working our way slowly down to Malta
In 2012 we spent two amazing weeks with my ageing parents. I was quite keen to research a MH trip to there. Can you provide more details on ferries, costs, camping etc?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I am always disappointed that you can never see fish out of the windows during the crossing.
that's why I prefer not to use it in case one day you can see the fish ,even just for a split second.
Safer than a ferry, that is for sure as you are not allowed out of your vehicle.
I can swim if it sinks , whereas I'm not a mole if it blows up.
(y)
Taking your dog into the pet reception doesnā€™t count towards quarantine.
yes it does .
No. I had heard that getting out the vehicle meant you had broken the ā€œin transitā€ rules. It good to learn that it isnā€™t.
you have & if you do you have to quarantine
therefore you are required to quarantine.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Well you could route via Germany(free of UK restrictions for now) and if you spent 2 weeks there could go direct to Tunnel non-stop. It would cut down the long period self-contained.

Geoff
We could but donā€™t need to as the areas weā€™ve been in in Greece arenā€™t on anyoneā€™s naughty list. Plus we donā€™t want to have to spend an two extra weeks away as we have family stuff to address ASAP on our return.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
that's why I prefer not to use it in case one day you can see the fish ,even just for a split second.

I can swim if it sinks , whereas I'm not a mole if it blows up.
(y)
yes it does .
you have & if you do you have to quarantine

therefore you are required to quarantine.
Taking your pet to pet reception didnā€™t count towards quarantine three weeks ago. What makes you think that you make the rules governing my life? You use your interpretation Iā€™ll use mine. I was there, I asked, it didnā€™t count. You really do think you can make rules about others. Give it a rest.

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
And into Spain.
After a fairly leisurely drive through France, no peage ā€˜til 20 mile from the Spain border, weā€™re in the warmth of Spain.
Lovely little town of Olite.
2DD2F5D6-F6EE-4B05-AEE7-3CD171736E07.png
941F1376-E8F4-4FC2-8D91-0C20F25BFF6D.png
934AC388-7CC0-431E-90CB-0B195FA708B3.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread