An interesting report on fridge use copied from German forum (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hello dear community,

here is a small supplement as an intermediate. During the annual meeting, I simply put the logger in the (rather packed) Kühli and left the 3 days in there. Here is the graphic from the log-log (overall log also attached): It can be seen very clearly that the temperature in the fridge rises in the morning, if you open the cupboard for breakfast every now and then and the device then the whole day struggling to reach the target temperature again. In the evening we spent the time outside with the others and spared our own supplies. I suspect that one would see the evening use otherwise very strong and then the actual target temperature is barely reached.

Also interesting is the last part of the graphic. The steep climb to almost 11 degrees at the end came during the drive home.Since the Kühli ran to 12V and you can see that this form of energy choice obviously has its weaknesses.

For the further evaluations I ordered 2 more loggers. I will report from time to time, if there is something interesting to tell.

Also, my order for the switching element has already arrived (after only 3 instead of the announced 8 weeks delivery). If I have installed this, you can also try a comparative test series with and without additional fan.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The guy has some other reports and he is setting up loggers of temperatures relative to the fridge to correlate relationships. Whilst some are logical its useful to have a scientific presentation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We all know Dometic fridges are crap, even if shown to Dometic they will ignor it as usual.
However the more info published on line about how bad they are they may respond at some point int the future

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The stat phial only senses the evap temperature so your never going to get close temperature control.
For that you'll need an electronic controller with air sensor, defrost settings and an evaporator fan. Even then it's not proper close control but it will be much better ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting indeed, seems to take a long time to cool back down after being opened and surprised at the poor performance on 12V as ours will go from ditched off to making ice in the freezer while driving.

Martin

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
His figures only refer to his individual fridge, which seems to have a fault when running on 12v. We don't go to the lengths of a temperature logger but we do have an external display with Max/Min and current temperatures for both fridge and freezer. Fridge works well on 12v when moving, probably aided by movement which must improve ventilation to the back.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Interesting indeed, seems to take a long time to cool back down after being opened and surprised at the poor performance on 12V as ours will go from ditched off to making ice in the freezer while driving.

Martin
Since I fitted an internal fan the temperature recovers far quicker after having the door open.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
His figures only refer to his individual fridge, which seems to have a fault when running on 12v. We don't go to the lengths of a temperature logger but we do have an external display with Max/Min and current temperatures for both fridge and freezer. Fridge works well on 12v when moving, probably aided by movement which must improve ventilation to the back.
Although ours has a 17O watt element for 12 v and 250 watt on mains the performance on 12v is pretty good. When it's sunny ours spends 2-3 hours a day on 12v as our solar regulator switches it to 12v

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Although ours has a 17O watt element for 12 v and 250 watt on mains the performance on 12v is pretty good. When it's sunny ours spends 2-3 hours a day on 12v as our solar regulator switches it to 12v
And ours?

On solar that is, not sure about the elements without looking it up.

Martin

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Martin

Ours is the same Martin, dare I possibly suggest the earlier models were better
Hope that doesn't tempt fate and ours breaks down now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back