An expedition to discover the source of the Loire (1 Viewer)

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Hello! I love reading other people's blogs of their trips and pick up many useful tips, so thought I should try to do the same in return.

We're Jane, Rog and Flynn the German Wirehaired Pointer, and we're crossing the channel tonight to start our 16 day trip to try to discover the source of the Loire. No one knows where it is, right?

Plan for the first night is to stay at Parking Hubert-Latham at Sangatte. I'm hoping there's a beach where the dog can stretch his legs. Then as we've such a short time, we'd ideally get all the way to the mouth of the Loire at Saint-Nazaire, but it's over 7 hours. An early start and a long lunch are probably in order.

As ever there's our Wordpress blog which will have more photos and added posts from Rog: https://denby.home.blog

Van is on the drive, I spent all yesterday have a massive cleaning session and now all that remains is to pack my clothes. Decisions, decisions.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
There’s a free aire just down the road at Wissant, near the town and beach too, stayed there many times, could be an alternative stopover.
Love the Twin colour, ours is silver, no orange on offer when we bought ours three years ago.
Enjoy your trip.
Phil

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We like following rivers Last couple of years we have followed the Meuse from Belgium to the source & the Mosel from Luxembourg to the source. Links to the threads on my trips are in my signature.

Have a good trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Are you putting regular updates on here or just your blog link?

I, and a host of others, always forget about blogs so only see threads like DBK does when they're here on the forum.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Beat you !

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks gillnphil - that Wissant stop sounds better actually.

I'm guessing the orange wasn't very popular as it doesn't seem to be available on Adria's site now...

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We did it a couple of years ago and it was a good trip though I think I enjoyed our journey this year down the Lot better. The Loire is a bit industrial in its lower reaches and the upper sections are hard to follow in places, unlike the Lot. But still well worth doing.

Our "expedition" starts on post #32 on this page:

And ends on post #95 on this page. :

We didn't follow the river very closely, it was more a trip up the Loire valley. There are roads close to the river in places but most are very narrow and trees etc prevent you actually seeing the river. :)

Have a good trip and post photos etc!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I am sure as I can be that we found A source of la Loire a few years ago. There was an indication going up the side of the mountain that if the rain fell on one side it went into La Loire and the Atlantic and if it fell on the other side it went into another river and went into the Med.
But luckily for you we havent got a scoobie where it is. Somewhere in the middle probably

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
St Nazaire, apart from the sub pens very little else there , imho, the allies destroyed the city. Decent payable Aire directly opposite the sub pens. Enjoy your trip (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Beat you !

Funny how water expands the further it flows.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am sure as I can be that we found A source of la Loire a few years ago. There was an indication going up the side of the mountain that if the rain fell on one side it went into La Loire and the Atlantic and if it fell on the other side it went into another river and went into the Med.
But luckily for you we havent got a scoobie where it is. Somewhere in the middle probably
That's near the Gerbier de Jonc which stands above the sources. My post above links to my scramble up it. :) I've seen another sign like the one below somewhere in France but this is the only one I've photographed.

PA060136.JPG

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Ages ago when based in Fremington with the Amphibious Transport mob, a couple of us were allowed to kit ourselves out from the QMs and trace the source of the Fal river.
Really?
It was one big jolly for us, we all ceremonially peed in it, spent a couple of nights in a bivvy here and there and every where. We pushed the newly commissioned 2nd Looee to the fore when ever an angry land owner raised his ugly head. Once we reached Tregony, we went all water, and had canoes, so a leisurely paddle for the rest of the way.
Finally, 5 days after we started, we stood on Pendennis Point and watched as our "joint effort" flowed past the Black Rock, the entrance to the Fal from the sea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
We are here! 21:08 French time and we’re in the middle of a mass of vans in the Sangatte aire. At least we’re orange! The dog was being super painful all through the channel crossing which put us off travelling any further than we had to (turned out he needed a comfort break but indistinguishable from just generally being keen for a walk, so hard to tell).

We’ve not bothered levelling so tonight will be uneven. Will help us to get up early.

Just polished off some guacamole I made with a beer for Sir and a cava for Madam - mains will be a steak from the Juicy Steak Co with a “fridge leavings pesto” - in this case pretty much watercress.

D63340EB-1D3A-40BE-8469-E2A4BABCFDE5.jpeg

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
h1ghway1 I think we’ll miss Saint-Nazaire apart from a drive. We don’t do many big cities because of the dog, but probably will try to see the machines at Nantes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Take your time, there's lots to see in rural France. :)

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Not a good day generally but saved by an excellent lunch and just ending up on a lovely aire.

We had the worst night’s sleep we’ve had in Denby and vowed not to skip the levelling next time, however tired we are.

After a very brief dog walk we set off on the A16 through biblical weather. In fact I said I’d never driven through worse, but HWMTOPS (he who must top other people’s stories) claimed that the air was 99% water once when he was driving through Louisiana.

70601C8F-1510-4519-A795-9F89BCE4F4F8.jpeg

The rain continued all morning so we postponed a proper dog walk and headed for Sées where I thought I’d found a good crêperie.

It was shut because it was the biggest tourist month of the year and they’d decided to take a holiday. Honestly, I’m not very capitalist but this is ridiculous.

773A6DE4-BB92-42D9-B5CB-4F6AF1C2CA8E.jpeg

Then the next one was off on his hollibobs too, but luckily the Au Normandy was totally ouvert and selling gallettes to a massive crowd. Being late and very hungry (no breakfast) we ordered two “Trois Fromages” - the cheeses being big Norman hits like Camembert and Liverot. I had a demi pichet of cider and Rog a small bottle of Badoit, then we shared most of a second demi as the service was pretty laid back.

7333C506-9354-43A2-9B96-8FE047BB7684.jpeg

Totally stuffed, we both admitted defeat before the end. Anyone fancy guessing the cost ala Robert Clark?

We wandered round the town - very much worthy of an overnight we thought, and with a pretty impressive cathedral to boot.

Then the rain eased off and we walked the dog through a forest, very pleasant.

As we were approaching Mayenne, Rog was overcome with tiredness so caught a nap for an hour while I had a look round town.

C6F948B0-18CE-4B15-86DD-56D14122971F.jpeg

Then via Super U to our aire here on the river at St Jean Sur Mayenne. Very nice, fairly private pitches with hard standing and grass beside, electric hook up and a communal barbecue area. Dinner tonight is local sausages with two salads - lentil and rémoulade. We were feeling tired and lazy!

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Not a good day generally but saved by an excellent lunch and just ending up on a lovely aire.

We had the worst night’s sleep we’ve had in Denby and vowed not to skip the levelling next time, however tired we are.

After a very brief dog walk we set off on the A16 through biblical weather. In fact I said I’d never driven through worse, but HWMTOPS (he who must top other people’s stories) claimed that the air was 99% water once when he was driving through Louisiana.

View attachment 323360

The rain continued all morning so we postponed a proper dog walk and headed for Sées where I thought I’d found a good crêperie.

It was shut because it was the biggest tourist month of the year and they’d decided to take a holiday. Honestly, I’m not very capitalist but this is ridiculous.

View attachment 323363

Then the next one was off on his hollibobs too, but luckily the Au Normandy was totally ouvert and selling gallettes to a massive crowd. Being late and very hungry (no breakfast) we ordered two “Trois Fromages” - the cheeses being big Norman hits like Camembert and Liverot. I had a demi pichet of cider and Rog a small bottle of Badoit, then we shared most of a second demi as the service was pretty laid back.

View attachment 323368

Totally stuffed, we both admitted defect before the end. Anyone fancy guessing the cost ala Robert Clark?

We wandered round the town - very much worthy of an overnight we thought, and with a pretty impressive cathedral to boot.

Then the rain eased off and we walked the dog through a forest, very pleasant.

As we were approaching Mayenne, Rog was overcome with tiredness so caught a nap for an hour while I had a look round town.

View attachment 323366

Then via Super U to our aire here on the river at St Jean Sur Mayenne. Very nice, fairly private pitches with hard standing and grass beside, electric hook up and a communal barbecue area. Dinner tonight is local sausages with two salads - lentil and rémoulade. We were feeling tired and lazy!
Looks yummy!
€20

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My guess is €36 but could could be more. This is based on the galettes being €8, the cider €4 and the pichets of wine €8.

Breakdown of the menu is raising the stakes! :)

Just checked on the map where you are - should be on the Loire tomorrow hopefully. Uphill after that! :)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back